SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Guitar. I'm In A Happy Place
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Guitar. I'm In A Happy Place Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I suffer from three forms of GAS: Guns, Guitars and Girls. I don't do very well with the third form...

Anyway, I just scored this latest edition to my guitar collection, and it have evoked in me feelings of pleasure not felt in my other guitar acquisitions. For years - decades, really - my guitar of choice (I had only two) was a 1957 Gibson ES-225. I still have it. It will probably go to the grave with me.

But I got into solid-body electrics and in my mind became a rock and roll hero.

The Gibson ES-335 has always had an appeal for me. Chuck Berry played one, Alvin Lee played one, B.B. King played one, heck, even Marty McFly played one! But every time I saw one it was either too expensive or not in my wheelhouse.

Until now. I was alerted to this terrific deal, and hesitated only momentarily (which, as we know can be fatal in the gun world). I now have in my possession a 2017 Gibson Memphis Limited Edition ES-335 70s Walnut with Case.

And it brings back the memories of playing my ES-225. Yes, I'm in a happy place!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

I think the ES-335 is an iconic guitar. My guitar teacher had one and from the videos I've seen of his small band, he still has it and it's been at least 25 years since I've seen him in person.

As a company, I hope Gibson can survive. They've made some of the most iconic guitars and they're on the brink of losing it all.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Nice. I have a 1970 lefty 335.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A fine choice. Congrats, Enjoy!

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Alex Lifeson played most of RUSH's early albums on an ES-335.

If I ever learn to play guitar, that's on my short list of acquisitions.

Beautiful, enjoy!!

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Very cool. The MoP fingerboard markers sure stand out on your guitar. I’ve got an ES-339 that I don’t play often, but I think I’ll continue to hang on to it. It’s got tones in there

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
Sweet guitar!

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I gave some thought to getting one recently too as CME had a really good deal on some, but I got a G19 instead. There's just something unique about how they sound and play. Congrats!

Posts: 68 | Location: MD | Registered: May 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gspdude
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. The 335 is a super versatile guitar. Don't see too many Walnut versions around. I'm eyeing some figured cherry 335 models myself.

Posts: 544 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Always liked them. Always thought about pairing with my late sixties Hummingbird. Haven't done it yet, but there's still tomorrow!

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love it.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool,

If you are like me, you are just one shy of having enough. Big Grin

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Very nice acquisition.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Happy new guitar day !

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy I had a blonde ES335 that was the sweetest playing guitar I ever had. I sold it because of a medical condition I can no longer play and still regret it. Enjoy your new guitar and play on

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I'm pretty much a Strat guy, but I've always had an appreciation for the 335 and would love to get one.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very nice!!

a good friend just picked up an Epiphone 335 to tinker with.

He has a few customs and an early 40's Gibson acoustic. Recently touring with Emmylou Harris as one of the Red Dirt Boys. Though spends most of his time in the studio with various artists

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
Very nice. I'm pretty much a Strat guy, but I've always had an appreciation for the 335 and would love to get one.

Me, too. Smile

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:

Me, too. Smile

Nice Strats, too.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty! Congratulations!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post