SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reminiscing about military experiences.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reminiscing about military experiences. Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
Being an old guy now (74), I’ve caught myself looking back on my military experiences with nostalgia and reminiscing with other old guys about our memories. I promised myself never to do this.

It was Officer’s Candidate School at Fort Benning in 1970. Our company was located next to the school where they trained dogs to walk point, etc. They had a footballfield-sized lot where they walked the dogs around in circles, teaching them commands. The dogs took numerous shits in the lot and it rarely got cleaned up.

When then Tac Officers wanted to fuck with us, they would have us fall out onto the field in the middle of the night. We were supposed to low crawl across the field. If we tried to get up on our knees and elbows to avoid a pile of dog shit, they would step on our backs and press us down into it.

That was when I promised myself if I ever got old and started getting all sentimental, that I would remember this… Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Standing in formation next to a rather portly guy wearing a Sax Fifth Avenue electric-blue tie and mirrored Gucci sunglasses in his Air Force Class A uniform, and listening to the TI for what seemed like a half-hour. It was wonderful; the beginning of my education in truly elegant profanity....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Being retired, ( Army ) I rather enjoy the chance to reminisce with other veterans/retirees.. especially those who've had similar experiences/MOSs/deployments/etc.

I also like to listen to any of the WWII, Korean and Vietnam war guys I happen to meet. They usually have far better/more interesting stories from their service time than mine, ( 1990 to 2013 ).

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I served in the Navy from 1969-1975 as an enlisted machinist mate in the nuclear power program. My poor vision exempted me from subs.

I spent 2 years in school to qualify as an operator and then 2 years as an instructor in Idaho Falls culminating in 2 years aboard the USS Truxton - DLGN-35. Most of that time was in the yards in Bremerton undergoing a dual plant refueling.

I only made 1 Westpac in my 6 years and, for the most part, hated every minute of it - until later in life when nostalgia crept in.

I'm thankful I served and thankful for the lesson and skills I took away from the job. I would encourage any young person to strongly consider a hitch in the military if their future is uncertain.

Uncle Sam paid for my college education after the fact and a GI loan put me in my first house shortly after discharge. Uncle Sam put me in Idaho Falls for nearly 3 years where I met and married my wife of 45 years.

There isn't a day when I don't think about those 6 years and give thanks for that decision at age 18 that changed my life.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I remember the places and some of the people fondly.

The job? Meh...it was just a job.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I grew up spending a month every summer sitting on a bar stool at the American Legion hall next to my grand dad. I listened to him and a handful of other gentleman talk about WWII for hours every day.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I think the human brain has a natural tendency to forget the bad shit and remember the good. I loved my career in the Navy and would certainly do it again but this thread causes me to remember some worthless motherfuckers who called themselves leaders and some of the useless things we were forced to do. I soon discovered the civilian world is not much different.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like remembering too.

But you tend to forget or gloss over the stupid stuff that was pretty ridiculous. Like standing in formation for what seemed like hours to get safety briefings on Fridays or scolded en mass because one or two jokers did something stupid. Just the inefficiencies of military life that you forget about.

Also - I joke - the Army can take the fun out of about anything. Like jumping out of an airplane. 60 seconds of exhiliration preceded by 8 hours of pre-training, briefings, safety inspections, waiting, etc.

It was a great way to do cool stuff, face challenges, and meet awesome people though. And the Army has nice weaponry also.

----------------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stationed at Ft.Gordan in 64 and returned from leave on Monday morning hear the Barrack Sgt. on top floor yell ATTENTION, followed laughter, and he yelled it again and more laughter. I think what's this? It turns out we had a Captain bunking upstairs. It seems he was passed over twice for promotion and decided to opt out of the Army and give up his Office status also. The Army kicked him out of his BOQ and until him mustered out he didn't want to have to live in a hotel or Motel. He knew a Enlisted guy in out Barracks and the friend told him if he didn't mind living with Enlisted guys for a while he could use an empty bunk.He was with us about two weeks.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Thanksgiving Day 1971: Standing in the rain at Ft Leonard Wood, waiting for the buses to take us to our basic company quarters. A burly black DI calls out for volunteers from under a covered porch. I figure cleaning a dang toilet was better than shivering in the rain. But no, he wanted those of us who stepped up to raise our hand if we wanted to be a squad leader. Best decision I ever made in uniform Smile

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t talk about some of my military experience s and am careful not to discuss things with other Vets, remember signing the DD-300 Security form on retirement.

TBS when it’s late at night and I am following to fall aslee some memories pop into my head, some I would like to forget and some boring, some thrilling. Best not to talk about them.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Famous words remembered from my last First Sergeant--"You been downtown smoking Opium again Boy"?

Posts: 468 | Registered: July 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
My best friend died in 2010 at 96 years old. He served as a Navy Corpsman (Medic) from 1932 until he retired as a Warrant Officer in 1954. He island hopped with the Marines in the Pacific during WWII. He served with the Marines in Korea.

I was in the Navy from 1963 to 1976 including tours in Viet Nam and in the Army from 1976 to 1985 when I retired as a Warrant Officer.

We went to a doughnut shop for coffee every Sunday morning. He did most of the talking while I listened to wonderful stories.

His shellback certificate was signed by Commander William Halsey. He was friends with Chesty Puller. He knew Ernie Pyle.

He often told me that I was the only one left that he could talk to about military memories without having to stop and explain everything. I think many war veterans don't talk about their experiences because you had to have similar experiences to understand without explaining.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in the Marine Corps (Yes We Are Part Of The Navy) I had more time on ships that a lot of sailors. LST Terrel 1157 - Waldo 1163 - Lorain 1177 - Henry 824 - LPH Okinawa 3 - IwoJima 2 - USNS General E.D.Patrick T-AP-50 -& Fremont APA-44 Crossed the Equator and International Time Line more than several times.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lowflash:
I was in the Marine Corps

Crossed the Equator and International Time Line more than several times.

Do Marines have similar line-crossing ceremonies? Or is that strictly a Navy thing?

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USN Gunners Mate, PO2, 1976 - 1980. North Atlantic 2x, Med. 2x, Caribbean 2x.

Enjoyed telling a close friend, 30 years Army retired officer, how we on ship would have steak and lobster on holidays like 4th of July.

HE NEVER HAD STEAK AND LOBSTER! Grrrr, grumble, grumble grrr.....

Remember spending a lot of time in lines. An hour in line for lunch was common. Took 15 minutes to eat the meal, if I was eating slowly. Got into the habit of carrying a paperback book to lunch line. Made the time much more useful.

Heavy seas in the North Atlantic, November 1977. Sailing with other ships in the Task Force (?), saw a Carrier taking waves on to the FLIGHT DECK, while I was watching from the deck of a Destroyer. Yup, rough seas were interesting.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by lowflash:
I was in the Marine Corps

Crossed the Equator and International Time Line more than several times.

Do Marines have similar line-crossing ceremonies? Or is that strictly a Navy thing?

Aye, All on board are welcome to prove themselves worthy before King Neptune's Court. Smile

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10353 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Finally caught up to my ship in Japan after a week at Tachikawa AFB. Arrived late evening with a couple of other boots and made our way up the ladder to 1/4 deck to report in.

As we're standing there, the SPs arrive with this little character, maybe 5'6" full of piss and vinegar, and tell the OOD "he's yours now".

The OOD had to grab crew to sit on him as he had been imbibing absinthe in Sasebo. Superhuman he was, three men larger than he to hold him by sitting on him, others held his limbs to keep from hurting himself while they waited for the Chief corpsman to come down and do something to get him back under control. I think it took 6, maybe 7, crewmen just to contain him.

That was my welcome to the 7th Fleet.
------------
Sitting in a bar in Tachikawa, Japan. In walks a guy I had gone to high school with. He was Navy, too, waiting to move on to his next command. What are the odds?

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have many fond memories of my 20 years in USAF, and tend (as do most of us) to not recall the bad things. I do remember the day (in Sep 1974) when I was called into the unit Commander's office and given the word that I'd been RIFed and would be discharged in Mar 1975 after 10 1/2 years as a Captain (15 years service). Although I pretty much expected it (I'd been passed over multiple times), it was a big letdown when it came. It is hard to describe the terrific blow to one's ego to essentially be told that one is useless, not needed any more, to be discarded like trash. I think I hid my real feelings pretty well and continued to do my job, and when the time came I enlisted as an E-4 to serve 5 more years as an NCO to qualify for retirement (as a Captain). My final 5 years were in a field I'd wanted to work in and were very enjoyable, so it wasn't all bad, and the monthly pension payments have made it worthwhile.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USAF Security Police 1974-78.
Many of my memories are about how I fucked up and blew opportunities.
During SP school:
Blew opportunity to go to Military Working Dog School. Also declined to jump on EOD School. You remember the old military adage? "Never volunteer for anything".
Then shortly after I gained a little rank, my Squadron Commander took a liking to me and offered to send me to Bootstrap OCS. I declined. Who wants to be an Officer?
Now I wonder how different my life would have been if I took theses opportunities. Especially OCS.
But I did get to see Europe on Uncle Sugars dime, so that was nice.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post