SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How did humans first go fast enough to smash bugs on them
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How did humans first go fast enough to smash bugs on them Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
Ever look at bugs on a windshield and wonder when man first went fast enough to smash bugs? Not counting falling off a cliff.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cant say that I have.

Posts: 785 | Location: Eastern Ma. | Registered: November 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably happened the other way around. Some unlucky Neanderthal walked out of his cave during a hurricane or tornado and, after he picked himself up, wondered why he had bugs stuck to his teeth!

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Seeing this reminds me that love bug season will be starting in Florida soon.
I had never heard of them till we moved to Florida in 1999.
Learned the hard way you need to clean your car of them as soon as possible.
I could not believe they could eat through the clear coat.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
You didn't happen to eat any leftover brownies, did you?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:

DUDE!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
when did we start riding horses??

quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Ever look at bugs on a windshield and wonder when man first went fast enough to smash bugs? Not counting falling off a cliff.

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
This discussion reminded me of the far side cartoon:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

quote:

I think it happened long before then, when hunting by hopping on some animal that took off.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:

DUDE!

Conversation while cycling with a buddy.

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Well, when did we first have windshields to squash the bugs?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a year prior to taking drivers education , an old person let me drive her car.

I'd never thought about it before , but it hit me , big time
I am driving 50 m.p.h. twords another vehicle thats coming at me at 50 m.p.h. , and we are only gonna miss each other by 3 feet or so Eek

I pulled over and tried to justify driving.

3 feet from certain death , why the hell can't we put the lanes 16 feet apart , at least ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

quote:

I think it happened long before then, when hunting by hopping on some animal that took off.

In North America, around the 14th or 15th century....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
Seeing this reminds me that love bug season will be starting in Florida soon.
I had never heard of them till we moved to Florida in 1999.
Learned the hard way you need to clean your car of them as soon as possible.
I could not believe they could eat through the clear coat.
You haven't lived until you've encountered one on a motorcycle at 60mph!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
This is the best example I could find.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:

All bugs on glass look like snozberries to you.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Can you smash a bug while on a horse? That is only 25 or 30 mph, at most.

I'd have guessed it was a train that was first.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Usain Bolt goes almost 28 MPH, a race horse almost 44 MPH.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
You guys up north park your hot rods all winter, us guys in Florida park ours all lovebug season!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post