SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a NC vinegar based BBQ sauce recipe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a NC vinegar based BBQ sauce recipe Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
A friend just opened a BBQ place in Granby, CT. I’m sitting here stuffed in excellent pulled pork and brisket. Missing is the right sauce.

Can anyone help with a classic vinegar based BBQ sauce?

Thanks

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forget where I got the recipe the last time I made some. There's still a jug of it in the beer fridge. This is close. The Allrecipes one that's the top of Google for "Carolina vinegar sauce recipe" is also close but no chile flakes, which I'd expect.

https://www.saveur.com/article...North-Carolina-Sauce

Some have a tad of ketchup but I wouldn't put more than a tiny bit for a little pinkness.

Posts: 36 | Location: GA | Registered: June 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is a "secret" recipe for NC vinegar-base sauce that is hands down better than others. These sauces are thin and do not look or taste like sauces one would expect in a BBQ joint in CT. Try the sauce I posted HERE and add more vinegar.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
No recipe but I do love good NC BBQ.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Marzy's Sauce

Ketchup - 2 cups

Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 cup

Brown Sugar - 1/2 cup

Onion powder - 2tblsp

Garlic powder - 2 tblsp

Cracked pepper - 1 tblsp

Liquid smoke - 1 tblsp

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Georges.

They have a blue label and a red . The red is hot.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vinegar Sauce

2 Cups ACV
2 TBS sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper

That should tide you over for a bit

Posts: 614 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
If you want great commercial sauce to compare with, "Lillie's Q" makes fantastic versions of most of the regional variant BBQ sauces, including "ENC," eastern North Carolina vinegar sauce.

https://lilliesq.com

I make my own sauce sometimes, but we keep at least Lillie's Q Carolina (vinegary tomato-based) and Smoky (dark brown Memphis) in the fridge to put on all kinds of stuff. Sometimes a couple of the others, too.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Ain't you supposed to use mustard? Big Grin

I lubs me some Piggie Park. Nom nom nom nom nom

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blusmoke:
Vinegar Sauce

2 Cups ACV
2 TBS sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper

That should tide you over for a bit

This but heavier on the pepper for me. Makes for a good mop for a hog roast too.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

(an outstanding recipe by professional chef "Chez" John Eddy of Topeka, KS. Somewhat similar to Blues Hog Tennessee Red in some ways)

1 quart cider vinegar
12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 T red pepper flakes
2 T salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp celery seed
2 T Worchestershire sauce
Juice of one lemon
1 T chipotle powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 T onion powder

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool, and bottle. Great with Carolina style pulled pork BBQ sands.

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
What is the restaurant? I am down that way for work fairly often.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Georges.

^^^^^^^This.

I quit making my own after having the spicy George's.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Which sauce version are you looking for? Ketchup tinted Lexington style, or the eastern style which is basically apple cider vinegar with spices in it? SC and southeastern NC also have a mustard based sauce with is really good too, but not classically thought of as a NC sauce. I love them all, but grew up on Lexington style and have recipes for all of them if you tell me which you'd like.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Ain't you supposed to use mustard? Big Grin

I lubs me some Piggie Park. Nom nom nom nom nom

Mustard based sauce is from South Carolina. I grew up in North Carolina and love both the Eastern NC vinegar based sauce and the Lexington NC style tomato based sauce. I've lived in the Midlands of SC for 18 years and have never really developed a taste for the mustard based sauce. I guess it's about what one is used to.

Sig P229 40S&W
Sig P220R DAK
Sig P6
Sig P225
Sig P226
Sig P290RS
Sig 556

Posts: 419 | Location: Midlands of SC | Registered: January 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
All the NC-style "Sauce" I see seems to be made of only 3 items, not sure about the ratios:
Cider vinegar
Hot sauce
Red pepper flakes

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
Which sauce version are you looking for? Ketchup tinted Lexington style, or the eastern style which is basically apple cider vinegar with spices in it? SC and southeastern NC also have a mustard based sauce with is really good too, but not classically thought of as a NC sauce. I love them all, but grew up on Lexington style and have recipes for all of them if you tell me which you'd like.

Thanks all for input. Should have clarified right off that this is for pulled pork, not brisket. "Ketchup tinted" is exactly what I was thinking of, not the straight up spicy vinegar.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eastern style Carolina bbq sauce contains no ketchup. Lexington style has ketchup.

1 cup white vinegar1 cup cider vinegar1 tablespoon brown sugar1 tablespoon cayenne pepper1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™), or to taste1 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon ground black pepperAdd all ingredients to list

Combine the white vinegar, cider vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper in a jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 days before using so that the flavors will blend. Shake occasionally, and store for up to 2 months in the refrigerator

Lexington style:--------------

2 cups cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
Shelf life, 2 months
Refrigerate, shake well.
Make 2 days before using. No need to cook either sauce!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: recoatlift,

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heisrizn:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Georges.

^^^^^^^This.

I quit making my own after having the spicy George's.

+1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post