SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Missouri teen reunited with her birth mother – the mother then killed her and burned her body, police say
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Missouri teen reunited with her birth mother – the mother then killed her and burned her body, police say Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
A Missouri teen reunited with her birth mother – her mother then killed her and burned her body, police say

Rebecca Ruud, charged, Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2017, with murder in the death of her 16-year-old biological daughter, whose remains were found in a burn pit on their rural property.

In an affidavit that reads like gothic fiction, investigators describe how a teen reunited with her birth mother last year on an isolated farm in Missouri — only to be tortured there, forced to crawl through hog pens and have salt rubbed in her wounds, and then finally murdered last month and burned in a fire pit.

Rebecca Ruud, 39, was arrested Monday by Ozark County sheriff’s deputies and charged, among other crimes, with the first-degree murder of Savannah Leckie, 16, whom she had given up for adoption at birth.

The baby had been taken in by a husband and wife in Minnesota, according to sheriff’s documents, and raised there nearly all her life. But Savannah’s adoptive parents eventually divorced, and by late 2016 the teen was having trouble getting along with her adoptive mother’s new boyfriend.

In November 2016, Ruud, who had been in casual contact with the girl for years, “agreed to take Savannah back and she was delivered to Ruud in Ozark County,” wrote a sheriff’s deputy, as he recounted all the things the girl would subsequently endure.

New family business

A truck driver and volunteer firefighter, Ruud lived on an 81-acre farm near Theodosia — close to the Arkansas border, miles from the nearest paved road.

In photos on Ruud’s Facebook feed, life after reuniting with her daughter appeared idyllic: all baby goats and pretty dresses.

“She looks just like you,” a friend wrote beneath a photo of mother and daughter last December.

In June, Ruud announced that the pair had even started a family business, making soap, according to the Ozark County Times.

“She wanted this so badly,” she wrote on Facebook of her daughter. “To combine two landmark events, her Sweet 16, and the official opening of Our Hidden Holler Farm soap business.”

But offline, a sheriff’s investigator wrote, the girl’s new life was bleak.
Hidden Holler Farm

“Savannah has been home-schooled and has almost no social contact,” he wrote.

She lived, slept and studied on a property with a generator providing the only electricity, and a well pump for water.

Ruud and her boyfriend slept in a converted metal building, like a barn, the deputy wrote in the affidavit. Savannah slept beside them in a camper with a broken air conditioner.

“Savannah’s inability to adapt to life on the farm” became a growing irritant to Ruud, according to the affidavit.

Eventually, she worried that the cost of caring for the girl would cost her the farm.

“It’s to the point that I either need more help to care for her, or I can do nothing with her,” Ruud allegedly wrote to Savannah’s adoptive mother in late June, a few weeks before the girl disappeared.
A strange fire

On July 18, Ruud reported a fire burning at the top of a hill on her property. Less than an acre of brush had burned, and firefighters put it out.

But when they returned to the family’s makeshift living quarters and asked for water, Ruud refused, according to the affidavit. She said Savannah got a small burn in the fire and was lying down and couldn’t be disturbed.

Ruud wouldn’t let anyone close to the girl’s camper, the firefighters reported.

Two days later, Ruud called the sheriff’s office. Her daughter had disappeared overnight, she reported. Her favorite pillow, blanket and coloring kit were missing.

“I think she’s a runaway,” Ruud said, according to the affidavit. “Savannah is blaming herself for the fire.”

Searchers fanned out across the woods and fields. A helicopter and plane searched from above, and “missing” posters went out as days passed with no sign. Investigators began to get suspicious.
Hog pen

Ruud brought Savannah’s computer to the local fire department on July 24, according to the affidavit, and asked a technician there to examine it.

“I considered this to be unusual considering law enforcement were actively searching for information leading to Savannah’s disappearance,” a sheriff’s deputy wrote.

The same day, an ex-boyfriend of Ruud’s told investigators he’d seen the girl crawling through hog pens and bathing in ponds before she went missing. The man said Savannah had once cut her arm, an investigator wrote, and “Ruud scrubbed the affected area with alcohol and salt on a daily basis as a form of discipline.”

Ruud and her current boyfriend, Robert Peat Jr., were interviewed at the sheriff’s office, according to the affidavit, where the mother allegedly admitted to rubbing salt in Savannah’s cut, wrestling the girl in the mud of a pig pen, and other severe forms of discipline.

But the couple were becoming less and less cooperative as the search went on, an investigator wrote.

Deputies returned to the farm on Aug. 4 — with dogs, state police and a search warrant. They now suspected that Savannah had never left the property.
A marriage and ashes

The farm looked different that morning, an investigator wrote. Gates and doors that had been open on previous visits were now chained and locked.

Some time after investigators arrived, an affidavit states, Ruud and Peat abruptly left their home. They drove for nearly 100 miles, to Summersville, Mo., and married there, on the same day police combed the farm.

Investigators searched carefully — around the barn and the camper where Savannah had lived, and the vacant buildings and derelict vehicles that surrounded it.

A few hundred yards from the residences, they found a pile of fresh leaves and branches. The brush pile was speckled with cigarette butts and surrounded by what a deputy described in the affidavit as “charred earth.”

The searchers lifted the brush. A deposit of light ash lay beneath it.

In the ash, they sifted out a button, imprinted with little ducks, and finger bones, vertebrae and teeth.
Fire and lye

The bones were human, a forensic investigator in Springfield, Mo., told the Ozark County sheriff. They’d been burned at a very high temperature and had deteriorated so badly that she suspected some chemical was used.

The sheriff mentioned the Hidden Holler Farm soap-making enterprise, according to an affidavit, and that his deputies had seen drums of chemicals on the property. He mentioned that soap was made with lye, which is highly caustic.

“That would do it,” the forensic investigator said. So the sheriff got a second search warrant.

Deputies returned to the farm on Aug. 9. The goats and the couple’s guns had disappeared, they noted.

They went back over the property, and the ash pile they’d searched before. According to documents published by the Ozark County Times, investigators left with a box of girl’s clothing; hair; a knife; a meat grinder; and more than two dozen bottles of lye.

“We’re dealing with someone who’s tried to dispose of evidence,” Ozark County Sheriff Darrin Reed told OzarksFirst.com.
‘Deliberately and methodically’

Reed didn’t immediately return a message about the case. Ruud could not be reached, and it’s unclear if she has an attorney.

But as investigators studied evidence seized from the farm and continued to investigate this month, they learned that Ruud and her new husband had purchased bus tickets to leave the state. So they asked for an arrest warrant this week.

“I believe Ms. Ruud deliberately and methodically caused the death of Savannah Leckie and then attempted to conceal it by destroying evidence and her remains by fire,” a sheriff’s deputy wrote to a judge, who signed the request and issued the warrant.

Two Greyhound buses were to leave Springfield on Monday, according to the affidavit — taking Ruud to Kansas and Peat to Tennessee.

The sheriff, Reed, and two deputies drove to the station, arrested Ruud and returned her to the Ozark County jail.

She was charged Tuesday with first-degree and second-degree murder, fatal abuse of a child, tampering with evidence and abandoning a corpse — and “more charges are forthcoming on any individual that was involved in aiding or tampering in this investigation,” Reed wrote in a news release.

The sheriff told the Ozark County Times he wanted the mother put to death.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/l...d0-4b5a50dbc168.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Poor child. What a world.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
sorry, I teared up reading this....the depravity of humanity still surprises me.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I couldn't finish reading it. Unbelievable monster.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
It is so sad how inhumane some human beings can be. This is a situation where I would agree with this "mother" being stoned to death! I can't imagine the hell the poor girl went through before she died at the hands of the mother she was probably happy to be reunited with. So terrible and sad.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Death penalty seems appropriate.

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Evil bitch.

That poor girl experienced a lifetime's worth of hardship in her 16 short years on this earth and then a horrific end. I just don't want to think about it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Bitch. Will. Burn. In. Hell.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Yet another candidate for the 'chipper.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Some people want to eliminate the death penalty.....

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's about as fucked up as fucked up can get.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Bitch. Will. Burn. In. Hell.

don't want to wait that long and risk there not being a hell

burn her at the stake now -

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That's so messed up.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wood chipper foot first and hit that baby in reverse a few times and make the pain last for days

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable. Frown

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
What a life Savannah had. Put up for adoption (unwanted), adoptive parents split and step mom chooses new boyfriend(unwanted again) seeks her birth mother and there she is assaulted, abused and murdered (unwanted again).

Now that this earthly life is over she is where she is wanted, in the arms of our Father.

May justice be swift and severe for thus woman, I cannot say mother.

Posts: 538 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People like this make me mad. I know I shouldn't feel this way and believe me, my heart aches for this little girl but I'd like to have 2 minutes alone with the Mom and her boyfriend.
I was happier than Hell when I got custody of my 14 year old daughter and couldn't even fathom doing something like this.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
No words. None.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
I think what angers me the most is that every person who should have cared about that girl failed her. I hope they charge the ex boyfriend for not reporting the crime too. He probably could have stopped it if he had said something.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
I think thats the saddest story Ive ever read. So sad that no matter how cruel of a death or punishment that woman gets, it doesnt even touch justice for that poor little girl.

Posts: 742 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post