SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A foldable cellphone?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A foldable cellphone? Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
I'm usually good with evolving tech but I just don't get this one. Why is a foldable cellphone an improvement? This thing has got to me delicate and very easily damaged. What am I missing?

First Foldable Cellphone

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Portability of a smart phone with the full screen of a pad.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the ones from Samsung will be folding inwardly, so much less fragile but also much harder to mass produce since the folding angle will be much sharper.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I want one in a flip-phone style. I'd buy it in a second. Apple needs to get off their ass and make one.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Motorola Razor. It was my first Mobil phone and I loved it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I use a 20 yr old flip phone. No camera, no nothing but a phone that calls & texts. People who give me grief over it being a 'dumb' phone get the response of, "Go ahead and try to hack it. I'll wait."

They think I'm behind the times when I see that I'm now a trendsetter. Big Grin

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Not really all that portable when the article notes it won't fit in a pocket when folded. And as if this one isn't spendy enough, the Samsung version is rumored to be priced around $2k. Eek Heck, I didn't pay that much for my laptop, desktop, and current cellphone combined.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My flip phone with big buttons does have a camera and some limited Internet capability, but I don't know how to use them--it exists ONLY for me to make calls out in an emergency. I don't give out the number (don't know it) and it's not ON unless I'm making a call. Somehow, I manage to get by without all the fancy trappings. (And it really frosts my rear when others just assume that EVERYONE has a smart phone and create situations where one is REQUIRED to function with them.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Not really all that portable when the article notes it won't fit in a pocket when folded. And as if this one isn't spendy enough, the Samsung version is rumored to be priced around $2k. Eek Heck, I didn't pay that much for my laptop, desktop, and current cellphone combined.

Well, the devil is in the execution, but the basic idea is doubling the display size. The trend now is larger and larger screens, at the obvious expense of portability. Few people want to lug around an iPad-sized phone, but if you could fold it....

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Microsoft's Surface Phone if ever or whenever it comes out is supposed to be a foldable one.
I think their issue is how to get universal apps to work on it as the OS part works or worked fine.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

Well, the devil is in the execution, but the basic idea is doubling the display size. The trend now is larger and larger screens, at the obvious expense of portability. Few people want to lug around an iPad-sized phone, but if you could fold it....
Don't you think there's a point of diminishing returns on phone size? Heck, some of the current crop of plus sized phones are pushing the limits of size versus portability. Maybe its just me, but my phone serves a select group of functions for me, but for the more complicated/involved tasks I have to deal with, I always tend to leave them to address on my laptop.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I sure didn't butt dial as many folks with the old Motorola Razr....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I broke numerous flip phones over the several years I had them. At least they were cheap.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A big phone that's also small is definitely a good idea.

Sometimes I want a phablet type phone, and other times a flip type phone.

One that has two screens - a smaller one viewable without unfolding it all, and a big one that folds out seamlessly (emphasis on seamlessly) would be great. A big phablet that foods down into a little razr-esque flip... sign me up.

But it better fucking have a headphone jack and a MicroSD slot, too.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I used to have a Motorola Razor. It was my first Mobil phone and I loved it.

I agree. I was told that Apple is making a smart phone similar to the Razor sometime soon. I too would buy one in a heartbeat.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I bought a foldable phone years ago Cool
I still have and plan to switch to it in a couple of years. The battery is still great.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post