SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another watch thread - Steeldive 6105 'Captain Willard'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another watch thread - Steeldive 6105 'Captain Willard' Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
For those of us old enough to remember Captain Willard (Martin Sheen) from Apocalypse Now, you may also remember the watch he wore in the movie, a Seiko 6105 Turtle looking watch. I've always dug that watch, but when Seiko came out with a limited run of a current version a couple years ago, for over $2k each if memory serves, I kinda gave up on the idea of ever owning one...until last week. The homage market is strong, and a company named Steeldive came to my attention marketing a 6105 homage piece that intrigued me. The specs seemed too good to be true (for the $100-$150 price point), and the watch seemed to closely mirror the original in terms of design. After spending a bit of time researching it, I think I'm going to roll the dice and buy one.

Here's a pretty good video review of the watch.

If you opt out of the video, here are a number of the keys specs...

- 44mm stainless case
- 20mm band
- 47mm lug to lug
- 4R35 Seiko movement
- Ceramic 120 click bezel
- Sapphire crystal
- Screw down crown
- Screw down back

So, I'm curious to see what the more watch savy here think of this watch. Opinions, thoughts, comments? Let's have them. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigdeal,

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Always been a fan of this watch.

I had the original as a kid, saved my paper route $$ and bought a 6105-8009 (original symetrical case) with 150m PROOF on the dial - which I foolishly traded for a Tissot PR 516 GL with gold case and blue step down dial.

Some 20 years back my friend gave me his 1976 vintage 6105-8119 which I modded a bit. In my defense, they were not highly valued at that time.

Triple lock crown, sapphire, relume, glass bead blasting.

It's currently in for servicing as I made a mistake and had someone "qualified" regulate it and made a mess of things.

Currently it is in good hands and will soon be home.

Seiko came out with two new versions, one north of 4K with an 8L35 movement which is excellent and one with a 6R35 which is no slouch, but not equal to the 8L35 by any means.

At the time I modded it, no one knew how to repair the crown, so I had a Triple Lock installed. This is a direct copy of the Rolex Triple Lock as the patent had recently run out and it could be manufactured and sold legally.

Now the crown can be disassembled and rejuvenated. Spencer does this. No going back in my case.

Recently bought the oddball 18mm lug Oyster bracelet from Strapcode and I have an Uncle Seiko OEM reissue rubber strap for it.

Maybe some day Strapcode will make a solid end link version of their Oyster. We can dream...

Congrats on the "Willard", it looks good and has lots of nice features. I believe that movement is the 4R35 which comes in the new ceramic King Turtle.

I call my 6105 the Turtle Father as is is the inspiration for the turtles line.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Where is this available at the $100-150 price point you speak of?

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Here is another version not Steeldive https://www.heimdallr.watch/di...mage-green-lume.html

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have a Seiko 6105-8110 that I purchased in Taiwan circa 1976. I probably only wore it for a couple years as I was running a lot and preferred a digital with a stop watch feature. It has been in a drawer for the past 40 years or so. When I accidently learned what it might be worth on the vintage market, I put it on and wore it for a few weeks about a year ago. It lost about 30-40 seconds per day. I've never had it serviced but suppose I should. It is a classic. The Steel Dive homage watch sure looks like the original.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
All over Ebay for around $150, and on Aliexpress and Alibaba for around $100.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
quote:

Here is another version not Steeldive https://www.heimdallr.watch/di...mage-green-lume.html
There's quite a bit of dialogue online that all of these watches are coming out of the same Chinese factory with the only difference being the branding. Don't know if that's true or not, but the specs are pretty much identical on all of them.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
There's quite a bit of dialogue online that all of these watches are coming out of the same Chinese factory with the only difference being the branding. Don't know if that's true or not, but the specs are pretty much identical on all of them.

From what Ive seen I think you are right.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I have a Sharky/Heimdallr 6105 Capt’n Willard. I think I paid about $200 IIRC. It’s actually a surprisingly nice watch for the money. The bezel action is the only part of the watch that could be improved and honestly it’s not that bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post