SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Chief of Naval Operations - Mike Gilday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Chief of Naval Operations - Mike Gilday Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
This is interesting, President Trump jumps past all the current 4-star Admirals and nominates a 3-star for the CNO role.

I expect they’ll find no skeletons in his closet, he’s a good guy (we were in the same company and Class of 1985 at USNA).

Background coming from commanding 10th Fleet (Navy Cyber Command) is also relevant.

Trump to Nominate Vice Adm. Mike Gilday to Lead Navy

A three-star surface warfare officer is set to be the Trump Administration’s nominee to lead the Navy, after the previous candidate unexpectedly asked to retire, USNI News has confirmed.

On Wednesday, the White House agreed to put forward Vice Adm. Mike Gilday to be the 32nd Chief of Naval Operations, reported The Wall Street Journal. USNI News has independently confirmed the facts in the story.

Gilday, currently the director of the Joint Staff, will replace Adm. Bill Moran as the nominee to replace outgoing CNO Adm. John Richardson, who is bound by law to step down from the position by Sept. 17.

By picking Gilday, the former commander of U.S. 10th Fleet and the Navy’s cyber arm, the administration is bypassing seven sitting four-star admirals in a move that is largely without recent precedent. The last time a three-star was nominated to lead the Navy was when then-Vice Adm. Elmo Zumwalt was nominated to be CNO in 1970.

A defense official knowledgeable with the selection process said Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer had considered nominating current U.S. Fleet Forces Command commander Adm. Christopher Grady as the CNO nominee but instead decided to pull a candidate from the three-star pool.

“There was a determination all of the four-stars needed to stay where they are right now,” a defense official told USNI News on Wednesday.

Earlier this week, the Navy said “all three- and four-star admirals are eligible to be recommended for service as the CNO. The Secretary of the Navy will make his recommendation based on who is the best and most fully qualified officer for the position.”

Moran stepped down from consideration for the CNO job amidst an investigation into an ongoing professional relationship he maintained via email with a now-former public affairs officer who had been accused of mistreating multiple women at a 2016 holiday party.

USNI News understands the content of the emails were not concerning, but the relationship was enough for Spencer to question Moran’s judgement. Moran requested to retire on Sunday.

Gilday is a career surface warfare officer and 1985 U.S. Naval Academy graduate.

At sea, Gilday commanded guided-missile destroyers USS Higgins (DDG-76) and USS Benfold (DDG-65), Destroyer Squadron 7, and Carrier Strike Group 8 aboard USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69).

As a flag officer, Gilday served as director of operations for NATO’s Joint Force Command Lisbon; as chief of staff for Naval Striking and Support Forces NATO; director of operations for U.S. Cyber Command; and in his current role as director of operations for the Joint Staff. He also previously served as the executive assistant to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and a naval aide to the White House.

https://news.usni.org/2019/07/...-gilday-to-lead-navy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: feersum dreadnaught,

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Secretariat".
(as was ADM Arleigh Burke)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
An online bio of him said he was on USS Princeton CG-59 when I was. I do not remember him though

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10353 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
There will be a number of admirals submitting their retirements in short order I suspect?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CQB60,

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
An online bio of him said he was on USS Princeton CG-59 when I was. I do not remember him though

Perhaps a date error...happens.

Friend of mine served with him when he was CO of the Higgins DDG-76, she couldn't say enough good things about him. Very GTG.

As a commenter pointed out on another page, encouraging that this CNO has a Combat Action Ribbon, perhaps he'll get the Navy to understand how to play offense now, and get away from the defensive nature of the current surface force.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
There will be a number of admirals submitting their retirements in short order I suspect?

Bypassing the pool of 4-stars was a subtle signal. I wonder if they are considered “Obama’s picks”?

Mike is the real deal. It would be excellent to have the military led by warriors, not SJWs.

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

Friend of mine served with him when he was CO of the Higgins DDG-76, she couldn't say enough good things about him. Very GTG.

As a commenter pointed out on another page, encouraging that this CNO has a Combat Action Ribbon, perhaps he'll get the Navy to understand how to play offense now, and get away from the defensive nature of the current surface force.

The bio said he was onboard when we hit the mines so More likely he was just one of the Jo's I didn't interact with enough for me to remember him, it's been almost 30 years ago and my memory just ain't what it use to be, heck i'd have think some to remember the names of everyone I worked with everyday Smile

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10353 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I concur with your conclusion.
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

Bypassing the pool of 4-stars was a subtle signal. I wonder if they are considered “Obama’s picks”?

Mike is the real deal. It would be excellent to have the military led by warriors, not SJWs.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

The bio said he was onboard when we hit the mines so More likely he was just one of the Jo's I didn't interact with enough for me to remember him, it's been almost 30 years ago and my memory just ain't what it use to be, heck i'd have think some to remember the names of everyone I worked with everyday Smile

Got your old cruise book somewhere....maybe he was on the embarked DESRON staff.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I don't know the relative merits of the nominees - hopefully both are qualified - but this caught my eye
quote:

Moran stepped down from consideration for the CNO job amidst an investigation into an ongoing professional relationship he maintained via email with a now-former public affairs officer who had been accused of mistreating multiple women at a 2016 holiday party.

That seems to imply that one need not mistreat people oneself to be a pariah, you can become unworthy merely by not shunning anyone accused of it, whether or not they ever get charged or convicted.

Treated guilty as soon as accused - the accused and their associates both? How did we get to this sorry state?

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
That seems to imply that one need not mistreat people oneself to be a pariah, you can become unworthy merely by not shunning anyone accused of it, whether or not they ever get charged or convicted.

Treated guilty as soon as accused - the accused and their associates both? How did we get to this sorry state?

Moran was expected to have fired his spokesman, Cdr Servello after getting too handsy at a Pentagon Christmas Party; Cdr Servello was 'that guy' at the party. If you're an officer working your way up the ranks, you need to keep your scandals and questionable associations clean. Right or, wrong, the higher you rise, the more political calculations will affect your career. Adm Moran instead of pulling Servello into his office and saying, 'You fucked-up, the only way you can remain in uniform is I reassign you.' Instead, Moran kept him in position.

posted Hide Post
The current batch of four stars were evaluated as needing to stay where they are. There is a lot going on and continuity is very important.

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final

The use of the pen is an indulgence we can afford only because better men and women grip the sword on our behalf -Ralph Peters

Posts: 222 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: July 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I don't know the relative merits of the nominees - hopefully both are qualified - but this caught my eye
quote:

I looked thought it but the format of that cruise book leaves a lot to be desired. Lots of group shots of divisions or departments with oly the department head named. USS Princeton Cruise Book

My photo is in there but my name cant be found.anywhere
Thats me in the center of the first photo with aunglasses wearung the float coat

Montani Semper Liberi

Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about any of the 4 stars, but am glad to see President Trump by-passing Obama appointed 4 stars.

Obama was working the social justice warriors into every nook and cranny of our Government including our Military.

Top leadership in every branch and sector needs to be viewed with skepticism.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
posted Hide Post
Confirmed as CNO.

It's deeply humbling and an honor to be here'
Michael Gilday nominated as chief of operations

Nicole DeFeudis, ndefeudis@lowellsun.com
UPDATED: 08/01/2019 07:35:55 AM EDT

It was 7:16 a.m. on Feb. 18, 1991, when the first mine exploded. The blast struck the underbelly of the USS Princeton (CG 59), a ship deployed in the Persian Gulf during Operation Desert Storm.

Almost immediately after, another blast triggered from the first mine hit the side of the 10,000-ton ship.

"We discovered that we were in the midst of an underwater mine field that we did not know about," said Joe Wright, the ship's navigator and anti-air warfare/tactical communicator watchstander.

The ship — cracked in two separate places — lost power and propulsion, leaving the crew in the dark and Lowell native Michael Gilday, tactical action officer, in charge of defending the ship.

"Mike did two things that were critically important," said Wright, who graduated the United States Naval Academy with Gilday in 1985.

First, he worked with the crew to quickly get the communications and combat systems back up and running — a feat Wright described as "remarkable."

Then, Gilday stood watch over the USS Princeton and other ships in the area for more than 24 hours as his ship was extracted from the mine field.

"He was calm, cool and collected," Wright said.

Gilday, 56, projected that same demeanor in a hearing Wednesday morning with the Senate Armed Services Committee to confirm his nomination as President Donald Trump's next chief of naval operations.

"It's deeply humbling and an honor to be here," Gilday said before the Senate committee. "I am truly honored to be part of the greatest navy in the world," he said later.

Wright has full faith in Gilday going forth. "The guy knows his stuff, backward and forward."

If confirmed, the three-star former head of the Navy's Cyber Command and will be promoted over his four-star colleagues.

How he got here is a story of persistence.

The eldest of five siblings, Gilday attended Central Catholic High School in Lawrence. His father, Gerald, served as a Navy sailor and surface warfare officer in the 1950s, and was honorably discharged in 1959.

According to Dave DeFillippo, who was Gilday's guidance counselor at Central Catholic, the current Navy vice admiral was set on attending the Naval Academy his junior year of high school, and possibly even before that.

"There was something about him that said leader," DeFillippo said, remembering him as reserved, focused and team-oriented.

"You could see how his classmates respected him," DeFillippo explained.

Gilday worked hard, earning high marks year after year. He was inducted into the National Honor Society, and ran cross country and indoor track. "Whatever the coach or the team needed, that's what he was going to do," DeFillippo said.

When Gilday's appointment to the Naval Academy finally arrived, it came with a condition: The academy would accept Gilday the following year, if he first completed a post-graduate study program at a preparatory school, DeFillippo explained.

DeFillippo recalls Gilday visiting his office after receiving the news, disappointed that he wasn't appointed right away. But DeFillippo encouraged him to persist in the pursuit of his dream.

Gilday graduated Central Catholic in 1980, and has since built an illustrious career. "Every hope the Navy had for him, he's met and succeeded," DeFillipo said.

He made it to the Naval Academy, where he juggled rigorous coursework, physical education classes and sprint football, and was still up at 7 a.m. every day for mandatory formation.

"No matter what he did, he did at 110%, full speed, nothing else," said Dan Holzrichter, who was in Gilday's company at the academy.

Holzrichter recalled Gilday's "infectious" smile, focus, drive and "wicked" Boston accent. And that he was so organized, if you opened his medicine cabinet in his dorm room, you'd find the toiletries lined up from largest to smallest.

"That intensity and that focus he had got him through it," Holzrichter said. He chuckled, recalling that Gilday once showed up at a Naval Academy reunion for 30 minutes in uniform, on his way to another obligation.

"(He is) the kind guy you always want on your team," Holzrichter said. "A great friend to have."

Gilday later completed master's degrees at the Harvard Kennedy School and the National War College.

He deployed with the USS Chandler (DDG 996), USS Princeton (CG 59) and USS Gettysburg (CG 64). He commanded the destroyers USS Higgins (DDG 76) and USS Benfold (DDG 65) and subsequently commanded Destroyer Squadron 7, serving as sea combat commander for the Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group, according to his Navy bio.

"It's an extraordinary career," DeFillippo said.

Gilday has served on the Bureau of Naval Personnel, the staff of the Chief of Naval Operations, and the staff of the Vice Chief of Naval Operations. He also served as executive assistant to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and naval aide to the president, his bio states.

"He's not a guy that's in it for the glory..." Wright said after watching the Senate hearing. "He's a very humble person."

During the hearing, Gilday fielded questions from senators about concerns such as introducing new technology, improving Navy infrastructure and upholding ethics.

"If confirmed, sustaining our readiness and modernizing our navy will be my top priorities," Gilday told the senators.

"I look forward in the future to work with you and get you confirmed," Armed Services Committee Chair James Inhofe said at the end of the hearing.

Retired Navy Capt. Ted Hontz, who was commanding officer of the USS Princeton the day it sailed into a mine field, said he admired Gilday's ability to make calm, confident decisions.

"He was just one of those fine outstanding human beings that gets to become a senior officer in the military," he said.

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/news/...e-here#ixzz5vOGc9eaa

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Now THAT sounds like the type of officer we need. Excellent.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
^^^^
Now THAT sounds like the type of officer we need. Excellent.

A warrior. A leader of warriors.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
"It was 7:16 a.m. on Feb. 18, 1991, when the first mine exploded. The blast struck the underbelly of the USS Princeton (CG 59), a ship deployed in the Persian Gulf during Operation Desert Storm.

Almost immediately after, another blast triggered from the first mine hit the side of the 10,000-ton ship.

"We discovered that we were in the midst of an underwater mine field that we did not know about," said Joe Wright, the ship's navigator and anti-air warfare/tactical communicator watchstander.

The ship — cracked in two separate places — lost power and propulsion, leaving the crew in the dark and Lowell native Michael Gilday, tactical action officer, in charge of defending the ship. "

The first mine went off under mount 52, the aft 5" gun, the ship shook for what seemed to me to be a very long time.

I was a brand new 1st class petty officer (E6) at the time, I started to get paid for it on the 16th of Feb.
I got my first NAM for doing damage control that day.

Capt Hontz was a hell of a CO, he would run GQ drills at all hours of the day, but never an abandoned ship drill. He said he wanted the crew to know how to fight and save the ship, not abandoned it.
He sat next to me at the 25th anniversary dinner we had. He told me that the one fear he had that day was it the ship sank, it would be his fault a lot of sailors would die because we wouldn't know how to get off in time

Montani Semper Liberi

posted Hide Post
Excellent. Hopefully less Panda Huggers and more Dragon Slayers.

Interesting Sen Inhofe (D-OK) took the opportunity during Gilday's confirmation hearings to blast the USN about how F'd up the USS Ford CVN-78 is.

Has any flag officers ever been reduced in rank or, brought back for trail due to issues that took place while they were still in uniform? Looking at current CNO and a few previous ones who embraced then soft-peddled the problems of tranformational' group of ships/projects?