SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RSX small fuse issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RSX small fuse issue Login/Join 
Picture of muddle_mann
posted
Car is a 2006 Acura RSX. Auto trans not a manual/Type S.

I hit a good, hard bump and my instrument cluster lights went out. When I looked outside I noticed all the park lights were out as well. I checked the fuses and found the "Small Lights" fuse was blown.

This is actually the 2nd time this has happened. The first time it was a bulb (turn signal bulb). I had hoped that was the case this time. I removed every exterior bulb from the system and even turned the instrument cluster down to off and as soon as I turn on the parks the fuse blows.

Is it possible a ground wire is the issue? If a ground wire came off would it cause the fuse to blow?

Any thoughts on resolution are welcome!

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3810 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's more likely 12V shorting to ground (any metal on the chassis and/or another wire that's been damaged along side the one that's causing your short).
i don't know the honda wiring, but on many toyotas of newer vintage, the cluster & all dash lights (except radio/hvac) are on the same fuse. The exterior should be on a separate fuse, but designers are sometimes stupid.

You're going about isolating it the right way.
Being the cluster & turn signals have had similar issues(even though in my mind they should be separate), I would start where they merge. If it's easy, pull the cluster & check for damaged wires behind. There's a lot of sharp edges that can scrape a wire during assembly & not cause an issue until down the road, but 13yrs means it's probably a rubbing issue somewhere. Sounds like there are a lot of 'somewheres' possible if all the 'small lights' are on the same fuse.

Good luck. I don't envy you. Pull 1 bulb, drive around. If it happens, it's NOT that wire.....rinse & repeat

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
You could substitute an old 6014 style headlight in stead of the fuse. Right now the fuse terminals have power on one, and a (short) to ground on the other. The headlight will go out when you find the short. I have an old headlight that I soldered long wires on it so I could watch it while moving wiring harnesses.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post