SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question For The Spaceflight Knowledgeable People Here: Spaceport In Scotland??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question For The Spaceflight Knowledgeable People Here: Spaceport In Scotland?? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I saw some news about the UK's Space Programme and how they are building a spaceport in Scotland to be able to launch satellites within a couple of years.

I'm confused about the location; isn't the goal to get as close to the equator as possible for space launches? The reason why we launch from Florida and the Europeans from French Guiana? Not sure what the Russkies do, aren't they way out in Kazakhstan?

Scotland seems like a strange place to try and launch rockets from, doesn't it?

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Launches from near the equator require less fuel for lower altitude high velocity orbits and for launches intended for non earth orbit, such as mars, etc.

For higher altitude geocentric orbit or geostationary orbits, it isnt as critical.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Scotland may be ideal for polar orbit launches to the North (if that is desired)...? IDK really what else the attraction might be.

All US polar launches are out of Vandenburg AFB (but to the south typically) since the US is big on not launching over populated areas (unlike Russia and China).

You are correct that launches from the equator can launch more into orbit with the same thrust - part of the reason the James West Space Telescope (JWST) is supposed to be hurled into space on an Ariane 5 from French Guiana when it launches someday. The other part is it's a joint venture with ESA and providing the Launch Vehicle is part of their contribution to the program. But I don't think any of our current US launch vehicles could launch JWST from Kennedy (not completely sure on that).

Russia launches out of Kazakhstan often but also has a version of the Soyuz Rocket that launches from French Guiana.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Really? Not the ideal location. The ESA maintains its base in a French Ghiana near the equator which makes it ideally placed for launches into geostationary transfer orbit as few changes have to be made to a satellite’s trajectory. Launchers also profit from the ‘slingshot’ effect, that is the energy created by the speed of the Earth’s rotation around the axis of the Poles. This increases the speed of a launcher by 460 m per second. These important factors save fuel and money, and prolong the active life of satellites. Also, Thanks to its geographical position, Europes Spaceport offers a launch angle of 102°, enabling a wide range of missions from east to north. In fact, Europe’s Spaceport is so well placed that it can carry out all possible space missions.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Like the site in New Zealand, looks to be focused more on smaller satellites and rockets, an apparently emerging market.

https://www.scotsman.com/futur...-beautiful-1-4771021

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post