SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Problems in the Philippines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problems in the Philippines Login/Join 
posted
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...-Manila-airport.html

http://news.abs-cbn.com/focus/...e-war-zone-in-marawi

Chechens, Saudis, Yemenis and other foreign fighters are in Mindanao in the Philippines. Estimates are over 500 trained, experienced, and crazy terrorists against a Philippine Army barely holding its own.

If push came to shove, I'd pull the plug on Afghanistan and Iraq to help Philippines wipe out ISIS there. The Filipinos are good allies while the other two aren't.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
We've been fighting them in the Philippines since at least the days of Bush 43, and Duterte's been making a big deal about the US intefering with how the Philipinos handle their problems. We'll have to wait and see what kind of opportunities open up.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
a Philippine Army barely holding its own

Terrorism sucks, and death to all radical Islamists, but how is it possible the Philippine military is barely holding it's own against a force of 500? Are they stretched too thin with other tasks, or too dysfunctional? Maybe they didn't care that much before about addressing terrorists in their own back yard and are getting a wakeup call about now? I'm not being a smartass, I really don't know what's going on over there. That being said, I wish the U.S. didn't have to clean up dog shit in other nations' back yards constantly.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing corruption in the military is rampant, thus creating an atmosphere where fighting terrorists isn't in the best interests of those commanding.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
We've been fighting them in the Philippines since at least the days of Bush 43, and Duterte's been making a big deal about the US intefering with how the Philipinos handle their problems. We'll have to wait and see what kind of opportunities open up.

General Arthur MacArthur was fighting them and it probably started before then.
The only way you win a war is by winning the war. Not declaring a truce.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Is this for real, or is it Dueterte trumping up an excuse to impose martial law and make himself dictator?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
^^^

good answer

Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, the Moros were Marcos' excuse for declaring martial law back in the early 70's.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good solution for a moab or two.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Is this for real, or is it Dueterte trumping up an excuse to impose martial law and make himself dictator?

Both of those.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A whole 500?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Seems like we could send a boat load of 'good ole boys' from Alabama and Louisiana down there to clean up the mess in short order. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
^
I'd bet Duterte doesn't want that.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Seems like we could send a boat load of 'good ole boys' from Alabama and Louisiana down there to clean up the mess in short order. Smile

This, especially if they are experienced feral hog hunters. Kill them in the wee hours as well as daylight. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
That's a fucked up 'army' if it can't handle 500 free-lancers. Granted, the islamlo-supremacists are more motivated and self-selected for their willingness to kill or be killed but a national army ought to prevail.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
^
I'd bet Duterte doesn't want that.
Duterte doesn't want the US military mucking around in the Philippines. The crew I noted above would simply be on a Asian cruise with a few day stop off in the Philippines for a paid hunting expedition. Heck Duterte could probably make a few bucks off them issuing hunting licenses, while they fixed his problem for him. Wink I can just see them good ole boys on the boat home.... Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
It's not just the 500 outsiders. The Philippine Army has been fighting muslim terrorists for decades. If you've never been to the Philippine Islands, let me tell you it's not an easy place to fight a battle of any sort. Mindanao has been a hotbed for as long as I can remember. I remember the two sides calling a cease fire when Pacquia (or however you spell it) would fight.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

General Arthur MacArthur was fighting them and it probably started before then.
The only way you win a war is by winning the war. Not declaring a truce.

For the US, it goes all the way back to when the Philippines were acquired from Spain at the end of the Spanish-American War. At the end of that war, there was the Philippine Insurrection, part of which included fighting the Moro guerrillas, which didn't end until right before WWI.

Interesting side note is that the Colt 1911 in 45acp was partially influenced by the fighting against the Moros. The Army wanted something with more stopping power than the 38 Colt revolvers.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 578 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Let's just hope that in all the chaos, everyone doesn't end up on the same side of the island and flip it over. That'd killify the whole bunch.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
I don't think the Phillipines are quite the allies they used to be. Not to mention Duarte isn't going to invite us anytime soon.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post