SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    As a reward to myself, I decided to upgrade my home theater (Audiophiles welcome)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

As a reward to myself, I decided to upgrade my home theater (Audiophiles welcome) Login/Join 
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted
For you audiophiles, and eclectic audio aficionados, I pulled the trigger.

I have been using a Parasound Halo for years as a decoder. For newer formats it doesn't do, my Oppo player has been a workhorse.

But I am rewarding myself by an upgrade.

I bought a Marantz AV7704, and will update my system to be 7.4.4 with Dolby At,os and Aura 3D.

So will add 4 overhead in ceiling speakers and 1000 more watts.

That will give me a total of 7 main speakers, 4 subwoofers, and 4 overhead.

Wattage will now be 17K in a room 20x20.
I am also going to build base traps and anti reflection treatments on the ceiling.

This should complete my 10 year pursuit of my ultimate man cave...

The Decoder
http://www.us.marantz.com/us/P...tes&ProductId=AV7704

My front three speakers (left-center-right)-
https://www.paradigm.com/produ...io-100/page=overview

Three of my subwoofers-
https://www.paradigm.com/produ...o15v2-leg/page=specs

My surrounds-
https://www.paradigm.com/produ...o-adp-590/page=specs

I am going (I think) B&W in ceiling speakers 8 in. Still shopping.

All Power is either Parasound amps from the main 5, and Marantz mono blocks for the rest....

I will report back once I get it set up....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rainman64,

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
awesome

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great setup. I bought a Marantz receiver and some Paradigm speakers about 15 years ago. The system is still going great.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1891 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
1.21 Gigawatts!

That must be some thick and rich sound. I'd love to have a set up like that. Congrats man!

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Curious... why the ceiling speakers?

Personally I've never found any to be worth it. The rest of your setup sounds great though.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Personally I've never found any to be worth it. The rest of your setup sounds great though.

If I had to guess it would be for Dolby Atmos, which adds overhead audio in addition to the audio on all sides. A lot of the mid-high end ceiling speakers provide very good sound.

Rainman c'mon, where are the pics??

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

If I had to guess it would be for Dolby Atmos, which adds overhead audio in addition to the audio on all sides. A lot of the mid-high end ceiling speakers provide very good sound.

Rainman c'mon, where are the pics??

Ah thanks. Had no idea Atmos did that. Interesting!

Hell I'm still with a 7+2 setup. LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
When you fire all these electronics up, I have visions of Chevy Chase turning on the Christmas lights!

Get the Nuc plant on line.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I am still taking care of my Mother.
I get the Marantz on Tuesday.

So the set-up will happen after I get home on April 8th.

But I can say this.
Anytime an electrical storm comes I unplug all of my theater.

I unplugged all of my electronics before I left.

My electric bill last month was 140.00 dollars LESS because everything has stayed uplugged and unused in that month.

Smile

I did that before coming to take care of my Mom.

Ibanda, in 1991 I bought a Yamaha receiver and Paradigm's.
It's now in the living room as Raingirl's system.

Still sounds great.
People not in the know, assume THAT is my theater...LOL
Until they step back in the house a bit....

Pictures to come!

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Buy yourself a big ass ups for that stuff. I have a big APC 1500 and it handles TV, receiver, etc. Everything but the sub is plugged into it.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am still happy with my 2 Aperion Audio set ups from the early 2k's.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I am still happy with my 2 Aperion Audio set ups from the early 2k's.

That brings back memories!
I like that setup, and to quote Seinfeld, "Not that anything is wrong with that.".

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
You know, Rainman, there are programs out there to treat you! Big Grin

Will sound fantastic, I'm sure.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds cool. I've been going to the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest the last few years at the suggestion of a friend who's a big headphone audiophile. What was incredible was not only the mobile products experience but the home demos that take up a large part of the Marriott. You can literally demo anything from a few hundred dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's really an exciting couple of days of listening to music, attending seminars and such, if you are so inclined. Highly recommended to folks who are in the Denver area or would be interested in visiting. You get to engage with the owners, engineers and industry leaders in a very relaxed setting.

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
You know, Rainman, there are programs out there to treat you! Big Grin

Will sound fantastic, I'm sure.

LOL

Hi, my name is Bill.
I am an audioholic.......

*group* Hello, Bill. *group*

posted Hide Post
are there plans for a a 30 ft x 30 foot addition to the house in the near future?

because you know you are going to want to dance when you watch saturday night fever

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go with P-ref in-cielings that match your main speakers.

I'm still using a mix of P-ref V1 Studio 60's and V2 Center and Surrounds (same drivers just minor cosmetic changes) and they sound awesome. Denon X4300 for AVR and Sony A1E 65 OLED.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post