SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    8"Chef's Knife
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8"Chef's Knife Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I need to find a decent 8" Chef's Knife for my dad. He doesn't want to spend a fortune, but would like something that holds an edge well. I have a couple of carbon steel Chicago Cutlery knives that are now 28 years old. If he could find one of those in 8", he'd take it in an instant. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that CC still has that level of quality.

I have a set of Henckles 4 Star stainless and he isn't real fond of those, preferring the old CC.

If Stainless, he wants something very hard; again, would prefer carbon. Does not want a set, does not want fancy.

I know that we have this discussion here from time to time, but we tend toward the more pricey knives. Any ideas that will work for him?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I need to find a decent 8" Chef's Knife for my dad. He doesn't want to spend a fortune, but would like something that holds an edge well. I have a couple of carbon steel Chicago Cutlery knives that are now 28 years old. If he could find one of those in 8", he'd take it in an instant. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that CC still has that level of quality.

I have a set of Henckles 4 Star stainless and he isn't real fond of those, preferring the old CC.

If Stainless, he wants something very hard; again, would prefer carbon. Does not want a set, does not want fancy.

I know that we have this discussion here from time to time, but we tend toward the more pricey knives. Any ideas that will work for him?

Every time this comes up these Mercer knives get high praise here in the forum.

Mercer Culinary Renaissance 8-Inch Forged Chef's Knife https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002...cp_api_fhkcAbS582K7Y

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Victorinox #47520 8" Chef Knife at webstaurant.com, $45 (or less), high carbon ss. The whole line is outstanding. Holds edge really well. I have 8 knives from this line and they have been exceptional. They get excellent reviews from actual users and purchasers. I am on several cooking boards and found this line from board member recommendations.

Posts: 100 | Location: Myrtle Beach SC | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought an excellent 8" chefs knife at IKEA for $20. It used the same steel as my Wusthoff blades that were 7-8times as expensive. I bought several for gifts and my Chef neighbor uses his professionally daily. I don't see it on their website but its at my local IKEA and maybe yours.

A while back they had a laminated VG-10 knife for a little bit more money which was also an excellent knife and superb value.

If you are near an IKEA at least stop in and see what they have available. Their higher end blades are the best bargains I've seen on quality steel..........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Chicago Cutlery was an upper end made-in-USA kitchen knife manufacturer before it was acquired by the World Kitchen conglomerate. Now the brand is lower-to-mid level made-in-China stuff you get at Target.

As has been mentioned already, the best 'bang for the buck' brands are Victorinox/Forschner and Mercer. Henckels has a wide range of knives to fit just about every price point.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coachB:
Victorinox #47520 8" Chef Knife at webstaurant.com, $45 (or less), high carbon ss. The whole line is outstanding. Holds edge really well. I have 8 knives from this line and they have been exceptional. They get excellent reviews from actual users and purchasers. I am on several cooking boards and found this line from board member recommendations.

The 8” chef model is the favorite of the folks at America’s Test Kitchen. So, I bought one. It suits me just fine. The grip material is very comfortable and not slippery. I’m thinking about replacing some other knives with a few more Victorinox models.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
IMO, carbon steel is the best and sharpest edge. While a lot of folks like SS, the resultant carbides from chromium, vanadium, and other alloying metals make large/coarse grains which don’t make for as smooth of an edge.

Further, as you know not all stainless steels are the same ... with literally hundreds of variables and creating different stainless steel alloy’s, (then various heat treating recipes) you get what you pay for it in stainless. Again I personally prefer pure carbon steels for the sharpest, smoothest, cleanest edge. However you must be willing to rinse off the knife with hot soapy water, dry it and then put it away.

I make custom kitchen knives out of both carbon steels (1095 or O1 tool steel) and stainless (S30V, S35 VN and Nitro V).

Below is one I made from 1095 with a variety of features, 8.5" blade, brass bolsters and pommel, matched Madrona Burl, Variable edge geometry (incls. distal taper) and mosaic pins:

May I inquire about your budget? There are many cool production knives out there in the $130-$220 range. Beyond that and you venture into custom territory.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
quote:

The 8” chef model is the favorite of the folks at America’s Test Kitchen. So, I bought one. It suits me just fine. The grip material is very comfortable and not slippery. I’m thinking about replacing some other knives with a few more Victorinox models.

Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife, 8-Inch
$35 for the 8" black @ Amazon - there are other colors.
I also have the bread knife, santuku & 5". All are excellent knives at great prices.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I looked up the Wüsthoff ... they're calling it high carbon stainless steel. I use the 8" every day and started using the 6" chefs.

I know you said no sets, but this Amazon set has the handy 6" utility, a paring knife, and the 8" chefs knife.

Wüsthof - Three Piece Cook’s Set - 3 1/2" Paring Knife, 6" Utility Knife, and 8" Cook’s Knife (9608)

The 8" alone is on sale at Macy's for $100.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
quote:

Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife, 8-Inch
$35 for the 8" black @ Amazon - there are other colors.
I also have the bread knife, santuku & 5". All are excellent knives at great prices.

For the money this one, or the one Dexter makes. I prefer my Wusthoff classic 8" chef's knife, but over that my Wusthoff classic 7" santoku has become my go to chef's knife and I never use the French style anymore. Search EBAY as you can get Wusthoff classics on there brand new pretty cheap sometimes....forged steel. The Victorinox and Dexter are stamped and have a thinner blade. You can use the bEd Bath Beyond 20 percent off coupon on individual knives at the stores.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Those Lamson knives look pretty nice. I need to invest in something more than a $2.75 Food Lion special.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
USA made Chicago Cutlery 42S 8" chef's knives can be purchased on eBay.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Victorinox Fibrox was inexpensive and has taken a lot of abuse and is still up to the task almost a decade later.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.knifecenter.com/it...ran-rosewood-handles

Cheaper than most higher end production stuff.

Made in the USA, 1095 high carbon.

Also, keep an eye out here:

https://www.bladeforums.com/fo...-kitchen-knives.890/

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rarely use my chef knife after buying a Santoku

Just another suggestion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Howdy!
How about something specially made for him by you? Look at the 8inch Russell Green River butcher style knife (the original chef's knife!); USA made, high carbon steel and will take a wicked edge; nothing fancy but so very practical and being made since the 1840s. It comes as a kit you can put together; check out "Track of the Wolf";
https://www.trackofthewolf.com...UT-08-M?PageSize=100

You can customize it as you wish and I think he would be very proud to have something you actually made for him!

Posts: 306 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Sams club chefs knife. Only $14 for two. And yes I'm dead effing serious. I have several $150 kitchen knives, and I straight ginsu, filet, and slap chop the hell out of food 300 days a year with my $7 Sams club knife. The quality is exceptional for the price. I like it better than the Victorinox ones as well. I learned about them when I worked the prison kitchen and the inmates used them every single day for years and years and they are just durable, exceptional, sharp work horses that can be used to chop for hours on end.

At $14 dollars, you cannot go wrong. Trust me on this. Best $14 you will ever spend in your life.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/...875&wl17=1o2&veh=sem

Plus, I prefer a cheaper knife for workhorse duty, and an expensive knife on special occasions.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
My wife was a cutlery buyer and her favorite brand was F. Dick (no smirks). We have an 8" Chef's knife that has held up well over about 20 years.

We have a mix of kitchen cutlery, from Gerber Balance Plus to customs.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
An 8 inch Wusthof would fit your dad's needs very nicely.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post