SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend - best app to stop unwanted calls
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend - best app to stop unwanted calls Login/Join 
Picture of SR
posted
I'm visiting my 80+ year old mother and she seems to be on every call list possible. Looking for a recommendation for a iPhone app that will help reduce these calls. Criteria:

easy enough that your grandmother could use it.

works with iPhone 6

If it makes a difference her home phone number auto transfers to her cell number

Thanks in advance

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
If her provider participates, robo calls to landlines can be blocked using NoMoRoBo.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
No experience with iPhone, but here's an article that lists a bunch of apps with pros and cons.

https://www.imore.com/how-bloc...am-calls-your-iphone

Android tells me in the caller ID if a call is Spam or even likely a Scam. It's nice. I report calls as spam regularly, and I hope that it improves Google's database of spam numbers.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Android tells me in the caller ID if a call is Spam or even likely a Scam. It's nice. I report calls as spam regularly, and I hope that it improves Google's database of spam numbers.

Wish my ATT Note5 did that. I have a 'Do Not Answer' contact that I dump them into. Have one that calls me 4-6 times a week.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
Hiya seems to be doing the trick for my iPhone 6s

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Wish my ATT Note5 did that. I have a 'Do Not Answer' contact that I dump them into. Have one that calls me 4-6 times a week.

My quick Google Fu says it's a Nexus and Pixel phone feature. Hopefully it trickles down to other phones as newer Android releases get pushed out.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Look at the Do Not Disturb feature on the iPhone & have it only allow phone calls from Contacts.

++Call Blocking feature

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I've been using NoMoRobo on my cell phone for about 2 months. I was getting an average of 8 to 10 crap phone call per day and now it's dropped to maybe 1 per week. Very pleased so far. $1.99 per month.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I was with AT&T landline since early 1970s. I moved last year and TWC cable had a package deal that made the landline nearly free so I took it. My old # transferred and nomorobo was part of the package.

I didn't cancel my AT&T until I lived with TWC for a couple weeks to be sure I was satisfied. It works great. Most calls I got on landline were junk even though we were on state and national do not call lists. Several junk calls per day.

I called AT&T to cancel and the cs retention expert begged me to stay. I told her the junk calls were the reason I left and that nomorobo was such a fine product. She said well we offer that at AT&T. My answer was why did you keep it a secret?

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Look at the Do Not Disturb feature on the iPhone & have it only allow phone calls from Contacts.

++Call Blocking feature

^^ This.

I'm running HiYa and TrueCaller on an iPhone 6 an still get five to ten telemarketing calls a day. Even with those applications, the phone still rings but it flags some as SPAM calls.

Posts: 2361 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
No experience with iPhone, but here's an article that lists a bunch of apps with pros and cons.

https://www.imore.com/how-bloc...am-calls-your-iphone

Sadly, this feature has become a lot less useful now that the motherfucking oxygen thieves are spoofing caller ID to make it appear they are calling from real people's phone numbers in your own local area code. The pieces of shit.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
NoMoRobo has worked great for me and for anyone I've recommended it to. Used to get several call a day now i get a couple a week and it's set and forget.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I use the AT&T Call protect app on my iPhone 6. It auto blocks known spam calls but those not on the list have to be manually blocked.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salty Dawg:

Been using this for a while and it works well.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hiya is what I use. My phone still rings, but it tells me if it is a call from a telemarketer, spam, or fraud. After the call, I can block the number.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Nomorobo works great for us. Well worth $1 a month

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
NoMoRobo works fine on my iPhone.
Verizon just started offering a trial of a Caller Name ID service, you get a name rather than just a number. Might say "FREE OFFER" or something like that. So far that seems worthwhile also and I may use both that and NoMoRobo.

quote:
What is Caller Name ID?
Caller Name ID is a premium service that lets you see the following contact details for unknown callers*:
Name
Phone number
City
State
Caller Pictures

If the caller has uploaded an image to their Caller Name ID profile and you are using an Android® or BlackBerry® device, you'll also see their picture. iPhone® users will not see any pictures. You can also upload your own picture in the app to display when you call other Caller Name ID subscribers.

Spam Management

If your device is eligible, Caller Name ID helps you better manage incoming spam calls with the following features:

Spam detection: get alerts if an incoming call is likely a robocaller, spam, or potential fraud. More FAQs about spam detection.
Spam reporting: report a phone number after they've called. This information helps us improve our spam detection service. How to report a number as spam.
Spam blocking: prevent unsolicited callers from reaching you with a personal spam and block list.
*Service is not available for restricted or unlisted numbers. Delivery of caller names and pictures may not be available in all areas and some devices may only display the caller's name.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:

Hiya is what I use. My phone still rings, but it tells me if it is a call from a telemarketer, spam, or fraud. After the call, I can block the number.

I use Mr Number which does the same thing.

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I just got two spoofed calls in the last few minutes. Both showing local area code and cell phone prefixes.

One was credit card loan and the other was health insurance seller. Sadly, I cannot set my iPhone to only allow contacts through since I use the phone for work.

So both callers today got to listen to my sick son play Halo while I installed a new router at my exwife's house so they can have faster connections. Oh and I hate COX cable.

For your mom, it might be best to just let the iPhone only allow contacts through and everyone else can just leave voicemail.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Here is how I have attacked this 'issue' in the past; I load a 2 second ringtone of silence and set it as the default ringtone. Then I set known numbers (family, friends, doctors, etc.) to a sound creating ringtone. Now when an unknown number calls no ring sound is created. It's not an elegant approach, but it works.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post