SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Went to the Boot Barn - Rude customer service, and was mocked for asking about quality?... What cowboy boots do you wear?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went to the Boot Barn - Rude customer service, and was mocked for asking about quality?... What cowboy boots do you wear? Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So this past Sunday my wife and I went to Prescott Valley to the Boot Barn. I’m looking for a pair of boots (cowboy boots).
Years ago I had both a pair of Lucchese and a pair of Nocona. Both are quality as far as I know, and are still made in the USA, if you select the right boot.
I spend 15 minutes browsing the boot section looking for a pair, and keep coming up empty.
Most if what I am looking at are “Made in China". I could live with Made in Mexico, but I’m not buying a Chinese cowboy boot. Not in this damn lifetime.
Finally a sales girl (yes, showing my age, sales girl) walks over and sakes with a giggle, "Can I help you?". So I asked if they carry Lucchese or Nocona, to which she replies "We sell boots that function, we don’t sell fashion here. Everything here is function, real boots for real men".
Between me trying with all my might to be a good Christian, and me being caught off guard by her soulless comment, I didn’t say anything. I just thanked her and left.

So my question to the Sigforum guys, have I become a relic? Are Lucchese and Nocona boots crap and fashion? Are Chinese made Cody James or Ariat, whomever they may be, the smart buy? because I can’t stomach that.
I want a pair of boots I’ll resole a couple times and die with them. I don’t want to replace them with a cheap piece of crap every couple years.

Going to Phoenix on Saturday to a handful of stores. Saba's is my hopeful.

What are your preferences for cowboy boots?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
Well if you want a top quality pair then buy a set of custom made ones. Buy once cry once and all that.

What’s weird is that boot barn carries nocona and nocona still has some made in the USA styles.

I personally wear Double H and I like them a lot but it’s been 8 years or so since I bought them. I am gradually going custom in both my station boots and cowboy boots as I’m tired of cheap ones that won’t last.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I would have asked to speak to a manager at that point, but you still can do with a phone call.

The salesperson’s job isn’t to make you feel stupid, it’s to greet you, qualify what your needs are, demo products that meet those needs and close the sale. She roundly failed and should enjoy the feedback from her performance. If the manager does anything but bend over backwards to get your business back and make you feel like a King, take your business elsewhere and leave reviews for Boot Barn detailing your experience.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a day trip down to Scottsdale. Saba's Western Wear. Ask for Jerry Hill, he knows his boots.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I used to wear cowboy boots all the time, probably still have a pair or two in a closet somewhere but they are just no longer comfortable.

You live in Arizona, should not be too hard to track down a decent boot store, try some on and see what you think.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I went to jr. college in Prescott, but can’t think of a western store (offhand) that I can recommend. If you feel like taking a nice drive, head down to Wickenburg and see my old friend Bruce Meier (owner) at Ben’s Saddlery. Quality boots, good selection, and Wickenburg is a nice town to spend the day in.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Personally, never heard of the brands you mentioned. I have a pair of Dan Post from 30 years ago. Wore them a lot then, haven't in a decade. They are still awesome.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would of been tempted to say to her. "Honey, I highly doubt you know anything about real men. Good day."

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I bought my first pair of cowboy boots a few years back and they are Lucchese. Trust me, I wanted to spend less but comfortable was way more important.

It looks like the nearest Cavender's to the OP is in Albuquerque, NM

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Take a day trip down to Scottsdale. Saba's Western Wear. Ask for Jerry Hill, he knows his boots.

All the Saba's other than the one in Chandler have closed.

quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
You live in Arizona, should not be too hard to track down a decent boot store, try some on and see what you think.

It’s actually harder than you think.

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
take your business elsewhere and leave reviews for Boot Barn detailing your experience.

Done and Done.

quote:
Originally posted by Old rugged cross:
I would of been tempted to say to her. Honey, I highly doubt you know anything about real men. Good day."

Brother, I had a hundred things to say after I counted to ten. The thing is I’m working hard at being a nicer person, even if people don’t deserve it. My wife is so incredibly proud of me for not leveling her with a string of polite, yet hurtful words, it makes it worth me standing there like a dunce.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Lucchese boots still made in the US are good quality, if a bit overpriced. I have found great vintage Luccheses, Nocona, and Tony Lama made in USA boots on eBay for good prices (some customs for REALLY good prices).

Tecovas is an American, made in Mexico brand that a is well built, no nonsense, good value boot. They are mostly online but I found sizing true to size and they have a great return policy. You might want to check them out.

I used to dislike cowboy style boots but I think it was because I wore poor quality, ill-fitting boots. Now they are among my favorites. Good hunting!

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
You did good keeping your cake hole shut.

I'm familiar with both brands you were looking for, and both were quality at some point in my (our) distant past. No idea now.

Good luck in your search.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I still believe, given my experience in retail, that the manager of that store deserves a chance to hear how royally an employee screwed up and have a chance to try to make it right. I understand if you don't feel like pursuing it, but it can be done calmly and politely. As a guy that managed an independent retail store, I would want to know if one of my salespeople treated someone that way. It's inexcusable. Others will get treated the same way, and if the manager is worth a cent, that will change after one phone call from you, one way or another. At least sleep on it.

That aside, I wish you luck in finding the perfect pair. Nothing like it in a well-made western boot once they break in.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I still believe, given my experience in retail, that the manager of that store deserves a chance to hear how royally an employee screwed up and have a chance to try to make it right. I understand if you don't feel like pursuing it, but it can be done calmly and politely. As a guy that managed an independent retail store, I would want to know if one of my salespeople treated someone that way. It's inexcusable. Others will get treated the same way, and if the manager is worth a cent, that will change after one phone call from you, one way or another. At least sleep on it.

That aside, I wish you luck in finding the perfect pair. Nothing like it in a well-made western boot once they break in.

I left a scathing review on Google. If the store manager cares about the store, he/she will check the reviews regularly and reply.
The reviews of that store range, either terrible, or amazing. The store manager is out of touch. Not interested in wasting my time helping a useless cause. I’ll vote with my wallet and never shop at a Boot Barn.

You can read my review here:
https://goo.gl/maps/7DxgXP5BSM6PnXZK8

quote:
The “lol” thread

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Both pair of my good boots were bought long before they were makin' 'em in China, so I got nothin'. Sorry.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah... that, uh... that says it all. Hopefully corporate takes a notice and stomps a mudhole in someone's ass over there.

Hope you get properly fitted at Saba's and leave happy, man. Smile

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I, too, feel you should have given the store manager an opportunity to make it right.

The part I should have included that is in my review... the manager (another giggly girl) heard the whole charade.

BTW, not butthurt, I just have an expectation of professionalism when I enter a retail store. I clearly set my expectations too high.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I, too, feel you should have given the store manager an opportunity to make it right.

The part I should have included that is in my review... the manager (another giggly girl) heard the whole charade.

Yeah, saw that when I found which was your review. Lacking Google Maps may be the reason I had to search for it, rather than your link going right to it.

I amended my previous comment after reading your review.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mine are Ariat from Cavender's
The $800 Luchesse that I tried on weren't nearly as comfortable.

The lady that assisted us was extremely helpful & polite.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I think a review on Yelp would probably gain their attention more than Google maps.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post