SIGforum
Went to the Boot Barn - Rude customer service, and was mocked for asking about quality?... What cowboy boots do you wear?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1720067754

June 12, 2019, 10:42 AM
tacfoley
Went to the Boot Barn - Rude customer service, and was mocked for asking about quality?... What cowboy boots do you wear?
Over here in yUK we are pretty short on the ground as far as cowboy-style boots are concerned, but there are still lots of places where you'll find real old-fashioned service.

One such gun store in the West Midlands has a full-length mirror that faces you as you walk into the store - here in UK there are no walk-straight-in gun stores for security purposes.

On the top rail of this mirror is a sign, and the sign reads - 'You are now looking at the most important person in this this gun-shop'.
June 12, 2019, 10:47 AM
Leemur
I have a pair of Nocona that I got back in the early 90s that are still good.
June 12, 2019, 10:59 AM
sandman76
I was in Boot Barn yesterday.Knew exactly what I wanted. The salesman tried to steer me toward some other pair that looked like stupid to me. $80 more too. I picked up what I wanted, tried them on and told the salesman, see ya.

The management must make the employees dress in western clothes and cowboy boots for work. There was one guy there all decked out and for certain was not a "real man".

June 12, 2019, 11:23 AM
az4783054
BOOT BARN has deteriorated. They used to have two stores in the Prescott area but closed the one that had better inventory.

Long time western store SAVOINI'S recently closed down. Next time you're in the area you might try the CAL RANCH STORE, but you'll probably find the same products and quality.

Did you check Cottonwood or maybe Flagstaff for stores?

There are a couple of custom boot makers in the Prescott area, but they're not inexpensive. You get what you pay for.

I have two pair of TONY LAMA boots that I've had resoled 2-3 times each. I won't let them go for Chinese made boots.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.
June 12, 2019, 11:47 AM
x0225095
Go somewhere else and give them your business.

Or shop at Zappos. Shipping and Returns are free. Buy a bunch of different ones and send back what you don't like or doesn't fit.

Boots are like anything else. What brand or style that fits one person will likely not fit another.

0:01
June 12, 2019, 11:47 AM
maladat
Lucchese has a less expensive fashion line that I personally find unappealing, but their main line are extremely high quality, traditionally made boots, even if many of them are made with exotic leather and have stratospheric prices.

I have two pairs of Lucchese boots, some calfskin ropers and some buffalo calfskin boots that are inbetween ropers and tradition pointy-toed high-heeled boots.

The buffalo calfskin pair is no kidding maybe the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever worn. They're also the most expensive pair of shoes I've ever bought.
June 12, 2019, 12:14 PM
copaup
I bought a pair of Tecova ropers last year that I like a lot. Best fitting pair of shoes I've owned, but I probably just got lucky with the draw there. My motorcycle boots are Double H and they have worn like iron. Current pair has about 5 years and 20 thousand miles on them and are still in great shape (if you discount the "character" I've put on them).
June 12, 2019, 03:49 PM
Beancooker
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
BOOT BARN has deteriorated. They used to have two stores in the Prescott area but closed the one that had better inventory.

Long time western store SAVOINI'S recently closed down. Next time you're in the area you might try the CAL RANCH STORE, but you'll probably find the same products and quality.

Did you check Cottonwood or maybe Flagstaff for stores?

There are a couple of custom boot makers in the Prescott area, but they're not inexpensive. You get what you pay for.

I have two pair of TONY LAMA boots that I've had resoled 2-3 times each. I won't let them go for Chinese made boots.

I live in Cottonwood. I went to the cowboy shop, but what he had available in my size was not much. He said all boots are about 6 weeks out as he has to get his dad to okay the purchase orders. Sadly, I’ll head to Phoenix instead of waiting six weeks.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread
June 12, 2019, 03:54 PM
Excam_Man
Back in the day it was always Double H and a pair of ACME elephant boots (company was purchased by Double H).

Today it's still Double H, with several Ariat and a pair of Black Jack elephant boots (made in TX) very expensive, old style leather sole/heel and lemon pegs.
http://www.blackjackboots.net

Luchesse is still a high quality boot, which has a large following. Several of their boots are not for people who have high arches. Their large gator being one of them, which sucks, as they are beautiful boots.

Ariat just come out with their Circuit Striker model and they are very comfortable boots. They have quickly become my favorite every day go-to boot. Made the old way with leather soles and lemon pegs.

If you want soft comfy right from the get go, look for a pair made from (bison) buffalo leather.
https://www.stageswest.com

June 12, 2019, 03:57 PM
downtownv
Rios of Mercedes is the only boots for me.

https://www.teampython.com

June 12, 2019, 04:40 PM
xmod
Try Cowtown Boots in Scottsdale.
June 12, 2019, 07:35 PM
.38supersig
I buy and sell used cowboy boots all the time.

The older version of Ariats are built a lot better than what they are selling now.

Lucchese has three tiers of their Lucchese branded boots. The 2000 boots are a very good boot. There is a bit more quality in construction and material in the 1883 line. Lucchese Classics are their best built boots and the only ones they will accept for a full resole.

Corral makes a well built comfortable pair. Different styles with inlays, laser etching, and has a nonslip insert in the sole.

As the saying goes, you won't find a good pair, they will find you. Big Grin

June 12, 2019, 08:32 PM
Beancooker
I told my wife I was really wanting a pair of these. I kept a straight face and sold it like a cheap suit. She was terrified and not amused when she realized it was a joke.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread
June 12, 2019, 10:50 PM
RETTOP
quote:
Originally posted by equivet:
Tecovas is an American, made in Mexico brand that a is well built, no nonsense, good value boot. They are mostly online but I found sizing true to size and they have a great return policy. You might want to check them out.

I've worn boots nearly all my adult life (50+ years) and have had all of the top name brands. The Tecovas ads got my attention and I ordered a pair of their top-of-the-line boots. I was really impressed with the quality and customer service. I've since purchased 2 more pair. They do run a bit snug if you have a high instep.

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member
June 12, 2019, 11:43 PM
TMats
The most comfortable boots I own are a pair of Wilson’s They were made when the Bowman family owned the business.

I have two pairs of White’s. A pair of packers, and a pair of pull-on work boots from their Hathorn line of boots. High quality, not dressy at all.

I have a pair of Paul Bond boots, primarily for riding—16” tops and a riding heel. You don’t want to walk much farther than out of sight to pee in them, but they’re sure cool.

All of these boots are either custom made or custom ordered. The Paul Bond’s are custom ordered, using a standard size, rather than custom fit to each foot. Saves both time and money. I figured that since they were bought to sit a horse a perfect fit wasn’t necessary.

I have a pair of black dress boots from Olathe. One of the biggest disappointments of my life was when the Olathe Boot Company sold out and moved to Texas. As the name suggests, they were made in Olathe, Kansas, but (if memory serves) were bought out by Larry Mahan. It was an employee owned boot making company and they built some fantastic boots. When the company moved, they changed their lasts, and their boots no longer fit my feet. I put the black boots on for an evening, but I can’t wear them all day.

I wanted to try Lucchese Boots and ordered a pair from a good boot shop in Cody. They just didn’t fit my feet and I had to send them back. Best advice I can give is to try on several different brands of boots. They all use different lasts and build their boots a certain way. There are several well known brands of boots, mentioned in this thread, that just don’t fit me right. Take your time making the decision, you don’t want a pair that sits in your closet.

In my earlier post in this thread I mentioned Ben’s Saddlery in Wickenburg as a good place to shop for boots. It occurs to me that NRS bought out Creed and Berva Botts’ Double D Western in Wickenburg. It was a big store, I assume it still is, with lots more boots to look at. Think about it.

June 24, 2019, 06:00 PM
straightshooter1
Been looking for/at cowboy boots for a while. The problem for me is (1) high instep and (2) very wide foot. 4E is about as narrow as I can go on shoes, haven't found any boots locally in that width to try.

Bob
June 24, 2019, 07:20 PM
bald1
Back in the '80s I had a custom pair of horsehide boots made by Stewart's in Tuscon. Exceptional comfort for my 4E+ wide foot. Ran somewhere in the $250-$300 range back then. Frown When through resoling and another set of lowers before they were finally retired. Sadly they appear to no longer be in business. Then again at my age I'm no longer in the market for custom boots. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
June 24, 2019, 08:07 PM
pbslinger
quote:
Then again at my age I'm no longer in the market for custom boots.

Why in the heck not? Go for it!
June 24, 2019, 08:12 PM
bald1
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
quote:
Then again at my age I'm no longer in the market for custom boots.

Why in the heck not? Go for it!

Use a cane and stair lifts so cowboy boots would seem a bit much I think. My preference these days is comfortable no-tie slip ons. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
June 24, 2019, 08:14 PM
sns3guppy
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Almost 20 years ago, my agency bought me a pair of Whites logging boots for wild land fire fighting. They were made to order, and included measurements made at several places. They were made for my feet and to this day fit them like a glove. With the ankle support and logging heel, they are not made for walking around town and make you look like Frankenstein’s monster when you do- but in the woods, I could scarcely ask for better.

Whites have been THE boots to have for wildland fire for a long time. When you're on your feet and hiking hard terrain around the clock for months and living in those boots, it's Whites. They kept the measurements on file, there if needed, and they supported their product. Some of the best one could get.