SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about Raleigh, NC in July
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Raleigh, NC in July Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Preliminary archery tournament schedule is out for next season. Looks like Junior Olympic Outdoor Nationals will be held in Raleigh, North Carolina in mid July. In all likelihood, our daughter is going to have to shoot that tournament next year.

So tell me the good, the bad and the ugly of Raleigh in July. How hot? How humid? How rainy?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11764 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

So tell me the good, the bad and the ugly of Raleigh in July. How hot? How humid? How rainy?

"What’s the weather like out there?

It’s hot! Damn hot! Real hot! Hot as it is, is my shorts I can cook things in it, a little crotch-pot cookin’.

Well can you tell me what it feels like?

Fool! Why it’s hot I told you again. Were you born on the sun? It's damn hot! I said it’s so damn hot I saw these little guys in the orange grove burst into flames, it’s that hot, you know what I'm talking about?

What do you think its going to be like tonight?

It’s going to be hot and wet. That’s nice if you’re with a lady, but it ain’t no good if you're in the jungle. "

Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
^ what he said

On a more serious note....
averages around 95 with humidity to make it feel 105

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually hot and humid with afternoon storms always a possibility. This year we've had a few breaks in the heat. Last Saturday I hosted an outdoor movie party and about half the people had sweatshirts on.

Funny story:

My SIL that lives in CA wanted to bring her family out to our place this year when my BIL and his family came to visit last week. Our house isn't set up well for a bunch of guests and when we expressed concern about sleeping arrangements, she said they could just pitch a tent in the back yard and camp. She wanted to know why my wife and I couldn't stop laughing.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Hot and humid is pretty standard around this time. It has been unusually hot though. July had maybe 4 days that were under 90 for a high. The killer is the humidity on top of it which you are probably not used to.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
You'll need deodorant on your entire body, especially your balls. You try baby powder or something similar your crotch will look like a pizza dough board in use. One way streets everywhere and if you're near NCSU you'll get sick of looking at bricks in under an hour.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a wet heat. Razz

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

"What’s the weather like out there?

It’s hot! Damn hot! Real hot! Hot as it is, is my shorts I can cook things in it, a little crotch-pot cookin’.

Wink

^^ Big Grin That's the first thing that popped into my mind...followed by:

The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut. /Walter Cronkite voice

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Coming in from Arizona, temp will be much lower but humidity - well, humidity won't.

"It's a dry heat!" said no North Carolinian, ever. Wink

Posts: 15026 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will echo what everyone else has said. Keep us posted on the tournament. We might have to get a Sigforum cheering section organized for your daughter!!

"Today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday."

Posts: 148 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tell me about Raleigh, NC in July

Jeez, that's a long time from now. Can't we just tell you now? Big Grin

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Hotter than Satan's ballsack.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Is it hot and humid in the South during the summer? Is the Pope Catholic? I work every day, sometimes quite physically active, in a building with nothing but fans to cool off, so suck it up. Razz

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Compared to Phoenix in July, ha! If you can manage Phoenix sir, Raleigh will be fine, no worries Wink

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It isn't going to kill you. I moved here from Birmingham, so for me the humidity was actually a step down. Always a 30% chance of scattered showers/t-storms daily, nothing you can't take. Lots of stuff to do as well, so start planning your post-tournament agenda.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Where is the event?

My wife is from Phoenix and I avoided Phoenix in July and August. My gosh, it's over 100 degrees in July and August and I understand it can get above 120.

Raleigh is not as hot as Phoenix but it can be humid. But then again, you might get lucky. We've had really nice weather the last 10 days or so (high 80s with somewhat low humidity).

Impossible to predict when or how much rain there might be. There are years with very little rain and some with lots of rain. Who knows.

I can pretty much guarantee that it will not be as hot or muggy as Atlanta or some of the other southern towns. Actually, you might really enjoy the trip.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
And yet no one has mentioned the traffic.

It SUCKS

Just like any big city.

AND on top of that no one knows how to drive defensively....

and it's hot.

and the humidity is high.

and it's hot.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1956F100guy:
I will echo what everyone else has said. Keep us posted on the tournament. We might have to get a Sigforum cheering section organized for your daughter!!

I was thinking the same thing!
I would love to see Maya compete...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
Where is the event?

No details yet other than it's July 14th & 15th in Raleigh, NC. It's going to be different next year in that the Junior Olympic and National Outdoor Championships are 2 separate events.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11764 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Carolinas in summer = 90 days, 90 degrees, 90% humidity. Plan accordingly.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post