SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to do for Toothache?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do for Toothache? Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Root canal phase I complete. Once they got sufficient Novocaine on board, it wasn't as bad as I expected. I guess it was early still, as the x-rays didn't look bad. But he said these can go downhill fast.

Cheek is still full on numb, and I am starving!

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239: I guess it was early still, as the x-rays didn't look bad. But he said these can go downhill fast.

They sure can. The first radiographic sign is often just a slight widening of the periodontal ligament space at the tip of the root. From there, it will form a circular lesion as the infection spreads. Eventually, the infection works its way all the way through the bone and to the surface of the gum. That's when you see the abscess. Somewhere between what you felt this morning and the abscess breaking the surface, you may have had thoughts of using your CCW on yourself.

Glad you got it taken care of properly.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I am not a dentist. Advice a dentist gave me is in a pinch you can pierce an Advil gel cap with a sterilized pin and sqeeze the contents into a cracked tooth or exposed nerve area. Pain relief for several hours.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had almost the exact same thing happen dental pain a few weeks after a cleaning- ended up going from it hurts and is a little swollen to it looked like I had a softball in my mouth I. About 18 hours. Do not delay treatment

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I am not a dentist. Advice a dentist gave me is in a pinch you can pierce an Advil gel cap with a sterilized pin and sqeeze the contents into a cracked tooth or exposed nerve area. Pain relief for several hours.

I am a dentist and that will only work if the nerve is actually exposed. OP had a crown and had not yet developed an abscess. Might as well swallow the Advil or dump it in the sink.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
Root canal phase I complete. Once they got sufficient Novocaine on board, it wasn't as bad as I expected. I guess it was early still, as the x-rays didn't look bad. But he said these can go downhill fast.

Cheek is still full on numb, and I am starving!

Good decision! Glad it's not too bad yet and you're getting it taken care of.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
And now I'm waiting at the DMV to replace my drivers license and the anesthetic is wearing off. I am not sure which is worse.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum

posted Hide Post
quote:
And now I'm waiting at the DMV to replace my drivers license and the anesthetic is wearing off. I am not sure which is worse.

Sounds like a fun day. Maybe your electricity will go out when you go home to cap off a holiday weekend. Just kidding. I have been there. Follow the instructions to the letter, Ibuprofen and warm salt water should be all you need. Lucky you got seen, these things can get really bad quickly.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to push in the filling? I accidentally chewed on that side, immediate pain, and it feels to my tongue like there's a depression. I'm wondering if I did something or is my imagination combined with the novocaine wearing off.

Si vis pacem para bellum

posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it possible to push in the filling? I accidentally chewed on that side, immediate pain, and it feels to my tongue like there's a depression. I'm wondering if I did something or is my imagination combined with the novocaine wearing off.

Best answer will come from MNSIG of course. Your mouth will be sensitive for a while maybe a day or two. I gather he drilled through the crown to do root canal therapy. Chances are you are just fine, give it some time and follow the printed instructions they gave you. You sound more obssessive than me.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The temporary filling material used after RCT is not particularly strong, so it is possible to dislodge it. Once the nerve has been removed you are no longer feeling the tooth itself, but the tissue around the apex(tip) of the root can be quite sore as the anesthetic wears off.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

I am a dentist and that will only work if the nerve is actually exposed. OP had a crown and had not yet developed an abscess. Might as well swallow the Advil or dump it in the sink.

I understand. I was posting the info for those who might find themselves in the circumstances I described.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:I understand. I was posting the info for those who might find themselves in the circumstances I described.

My apologies. You were very specific with your recommendation.

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
WAG, based on experience: Nerve's dying. If I'm right: If the tooth is still solidly anchored in the gum and bone it might be saved via a root canal. If my guess is right you might want to be on antibiotics sooner, rather than later.

Usually there's a reason nerves die. Cracked/fractured tooth, leaking, fairly deep filling, etc.

There's also this opinion, vis-a-vis root canals: Why You Should Avoid Root Canals Like the Plague

Same thought here.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

The temporary filling material used after RCT is not particularly strong, so it is possible to dislodge it. Once the nerve has been removed you are no longer feeling the tooth itself, but the tissue around the apex(tip) of the root can be quite sore as the anesthetic wears off.
Thanks MN. The pain is lessening with advil and tylenol. But if I dislodged the filing, do I need to go in? Next appointment is not until the 18th.

Si vis pacem para bellum

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:Thanks MN. The pain is lessening with advil and tylenol. But if I dislodged the filing, do I need to go in? Next appointment is not until the 18th.

The temporary filling is there to prevent food debris and bacteria from getting into the canal. If it's completely out, it should be replaced. Not a 4th of July emergency, but I'd give them a call on Wed. If just a little piece came off the top and it still is sealed around the edges, I wouldn't worry about it.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
If the temp did come out, you can fill it with dentemp from your local drug store.

I keep some handy, especially when I travel.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
If the temp did come out, you can fill it with dentemp from your local drug store.

I keep some handy, especially when I travel.

That product actually works in a pinch. You just want to make sure that you don't pack a bunch of food and junk under it if the filling has been out for a while. In the case of RCT, the open pulp chamber is fairly large compared to a typical cavity preparation so proper cleaning before sealing is important.

Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
I've never felt pain so bad I saw stars before... but I just accidentally bit down hard on that tooth. Mother @$&!&@! These go to eleven.

Si vis pacem para bellum