SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Neal Peart passed away.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neal Peart passed away. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post

Rush was my first ROCK concert 6th row 40 years ago.

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Saw them about 100x and met Neil briefly once. This one is a kick to the balls. The world is poorer today.

Posts: 3493 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Not a huge fan Of rush, but they all are great musicians. Sad to see one go.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Robin Williams........Harold Ramis and now Neil Peart. Sigh my heart is heavy.

Rush and Queensryche were my bands from high school on. RIP.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big fan as well. RIP. I wonder how many people he exposed to Ayn Rand and libertarian thought. Big loss in the rock world.

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was great to see a guy at the top of his profession still striving to improve his game late in his career. Loved watching him play.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Frown Moving Pictures and Power Windows were about all I listened to when I was in H.S. I think I know them note for note. Very sad to hear this.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Love Rush! RIP

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I have always loved Rush. I got a chance to see them on their last tour (40th). It was mentioned then that he was suffering health issues at that time but I don't remember them saying it was brain cancer.

He had some heartache in his life for sure when he lost his wife and daughter within a 10 month span. He took off on his motorcycle and rode like 50,000 and wrote a book about it called Ghost Rider.

Dan Rather actually did a phenomenal interview of Geddy Lee not too long ago that you can probably find online. It's pretty funny listening to the interview and listening to Geddy talk about their music teacher saying there's no way you can only have 3 people in the band. Definitely proved that teacher wrong.

I have a good friend who's in a Rush cover band so if any of you from the St.Louis area and are Rush fans you should check out Thunderhead at the Pagent some time it's always a great time.

RIP

We have seen Thunderhead here in St. Louis and they are very good.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
He is and was a beast on the drums. RIP.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
RIP. Thanks for the many great memories from my younger years.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Originally posted by Killer:
Imagine him, John Bonham, Buddy Rich and Ginger Baker sitting around arguing about how good of a drummer Ginger Baker is, lol.

Actually, they'd all be complimenting Chick Webb on how he influenced them.

read an article yesterday stating he was influenced early by Keith Moon,

hopefully they are having a conversation

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Originally posted by Killer:
Imagine him, John Bonham, Buddy Rich and Ginger Baker sitting around arguing about how good of a drummer Ginger Baker is, lol.

Actually, they'd all be complimenting Chick Webb on how he influenced them.

read an article yesterday stating he was influenced early by Keith Moon,

hopefully they are having a conversation

I can believe that. Keith was known for playing the tune, not just the beat.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never knew that Peart wrote the lyrics to many if not most of Rush's songs.

Posts: 3 | Registered: November 13, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
He also wrote a few books.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
What a loss. Condolences to his wife, 10-year-old daughter, and band mates.

Rush has been a constant in my life since high school. I probably never go more than 4 days without listening their music. Like many fellow introverts born in the 60s, Peart's insightful lyrics and the complex music he, Geddy and Alex produced came along at the perfect time for me - my teens - and helped me fill hours I just as soon not spend at parties and high school football games.

Thankfully, Peart's work lives on.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
quote:
I have always loved Rush. I got a chance to see them on their last tour (40th). It was mentioned then that he was suffering health issues at that time but I don't remember them saying it was brain cancer.

He had some heartache in his life for sure when he lost his wife and daughter within a 10 month span. He took off on his motorcycle and rode like 50,000 and wrote a book about it called Ghost Rider.

Dan Rather actually did a phenomenal interview of Geddy Lee not too long ago that you can probably find online. It's pretty funny listening to the interview and listening to Geddy talk about their music teacher saying there's no way you can only have 3 people in the band. Definitely proved that teacher wrong.

I have a good friend who's in a Rush cover band so if any of you from the St.Louis area and are Rush fans you should check out Thunderhead at the Pagent some time it's always a great time.

RIP

It's always a good time. My buddy is the lead singer. The drummer has to fill immense shoes but is unbelievably good.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A loss for sure he was a man who lived.

Neil Peart's website

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Very prophetic lyrics by Peart here. He changed his drumming style late in his career, under instruction from Fred Gruber, to a style he likened to dancing, where what happens "in the air" is critical. Eventually his limbs broke down from all the wear and tear, and he could no longer dance. Right after, cancer came for the writer's mind, and took it from him. The bell tolled for Neil twice, and all too early. I'll never listen to this song again without thinking of his tragic demise.

Losing It

The dancer slows her frantic pace
In pain and desperation,
Her aching limbs and downcast face
Aglow with perspiration

Stiff as wire, her lungs on fire,
With just the briefest pause —
The flooding through her memory,
The echoes of old applause.

She limps across the floor
And closes her bedroom door…

The writer stares with glassy eyes —
Defies the empty page,
His beard is white, his face is lined
And streaked with tears of rage.

Thirty years ago, how the words would flow
With passion and precision,
But now his mind is dark and dulled
By sickness and indecision

And he stares out the kitchen door
Where the sun will rise no more…

Some are born to move the world —
To live their fantasies
But most of us just dream about
The things we’d like to be

Sadder still to watch it die
Than never to have known it
For you — the blind who once could see —
The bell tolls for thee…

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
quote:

RIP

It's always a good time. My buddy is the lead singer. The drummer has to fill immense shoes but is unbelievably good.

I assume they all live in the Greater St. Louis area?