SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why stock market down, mortgage rates up?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why stock market down, mortgage rates up? Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
My forecast is that stock prices will continue to fluctuate. Prices are likely to move higher, unless they move lower, although they may move lower unless they move higher, and unless they do either, chances are they will remain about the same.

exactly Smile

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Federal Reserve Interest Rates were held down through the Obama regime in a futile attempt to prop up the anemic economy.

Nailed it.

I'll add-the Fed, (willing arm of the GDCs?) have to do something to slow down the Trump train; what better that a mid-October "stock market slump," "rising gas prices," "rising morgtage rates," oh my god, oh my god Trump is bad!! Better vote democrat!!

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They did say that with yesterday's drop, bonds also went down with stocks, and that was a bit unusual and could signal further instability.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Nailed it. My step-son called yesterday and asked if he should change his 401K distribution. I told him it would be a good idea unless it becomes a bad idea. I told him to not look at the market or his 401K until he is within a few years of retirement.

Jim

I very much do not agree that one should ignore their portfolio until close to retirement. I firmly believe one should periodically review and rebalance as necessary. I definitely think the review should be driven by the calender though, not by events. The more one’s investing decisions are driven by logic and the less by emotion, the happier one will be with their results.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Fluctuations”

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Nailed it. My step-son called yesterday and asked if he should change his 401K distribution. I told him it would be a good idea unless it becomes a bad idea. I told him to not look at the market or his 401K until he is within a few years of retirement.

Jim

I very much do not agree that one should ignore their portfolio until close to retirement. I firmly believe one should periodically review and rebalance as necessary. I definitely think the review should be driven by the calender though, not by events. The more one’s investing decisions are driven by logic and the less by emotion, the happier one will be with their results.

What’s the logic in rebalancing?

Assume the 401k holds managed assets instead of individual issues which you are picking, how does one decide on changes? Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
“Fluctuations”
Flucked again!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:

Jim

What’s the logic in rebalancing?

Assume the 401k holds managed assets instead of individual issues which you are picking, how does one decide on changes? Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

This. His are managed funds and they have a very good long range performance record. I know this because he works at the same company that I retired from with the same 401K options I had.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Down Again....Sad picture of Wall Street Traders reacting as Stock Market plunges! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I find the timing of the Fed's move slightly suspicious

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

What do you suspect? Anything mysterious?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
I caught about 5 minutes of Rush today, heard him speculate on big Democrat investors willing to lose a bit of money to hurt President Trump in the mid-terms.

Sounds kind-of far fetched, but who would have thought the deep state corruption had so deeply permeated the legal and judicial system.

At this point their is not much out of the realm for the Liberals to corrupt.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Has the housing market "slowed?" That's not the term I would use. Around here, and in much of the country as I understand, there isn't enough housing to meet demand, and contstruction is nothing if not practically booming. I'd say housing is a hot commodity.

It's red hot here in central Florida.

We are building at such a quick rate that the trades can't keep up. All of them are in such demand that they can afford to no show jobs and have no repercussions. From what a partner of mine said, it goes in cycles. When building was slow, trades were beating down your trailer doors for work.

We are short all the skilled trades such as electricians, plumbers, HVAC, etc. Manual labor seems to be aplenty, though.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:
Federal Reserve Interest Rates were held down through the Obama regime in a futile attempt to prop up the anemic economy.

Nailed it.

I'll add-the Fed, (willing arm of the GDCs?) have to do something to slow down the Trump train; what better that a mid-October "stock market slump," "rising gas prices," "rising morgtage rates," oh my god, oh my god Trump is bad!! Better vote democrat!!

When a similar run happened in Japan, it was called The Lost Decade and everyone was told about how bad it was.

When it happened under O, the New Normal wasn't discussed much. Also of note, When they compare economies, they like to start at the inauguration. giving the economic rise between election day to inauguration to the guy that said the economy wouldn't do better than 2%.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
I caught about 5 minutes of Rush today, heard him speculate on big Democrat investors willing to lose a bit of money to hurt President Trump in the mid-terms.

You know that wild speculation and ascribing every misfortune to the left is Rush's bread and butter, don't you?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

I've felt that interest rates have had to move up more than they have, for the past year. The amount the stock market is at is indictive of inflation. So if you keep that going it could create major issues much like the housing market did in 2008.

A 3% dip in the stock market from it's all time high is pretty normal IMO, and wouldn't do anything to sway voters from not voting Republican.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:

Nailed it.

When a similar run happened in Japan, it was called The Lost Decade and everyone was told about how bad it was.

When it happened under O, the New Normal wasn't discussed much. Also of note, When they compare economies, they like to start at the inauguration. giving the economic rise between election day to inauguration to the guy that said the economy wouldn't do better than 2%.

Didn't those rate shenanigans start with Bush the Younger along with his stupid TARP program?

I remember that "new normal" BS, typical communist(D) idiocy, don't understand how to fix something so just leave it broken and call it " new normal".

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Chinese bidding up price of bonds due time trade war.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Interest is up and the stock markets down... and you only get mugged if you go down town.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post