SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    About Them Allen Edmond Shoes :)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About Them Allen Edmond Shoes :) Login/Join 
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I lived in Minneapolis. I was working retail on thin carpeted concrete floors. The job required dress shoes and long hours. I have platypus feet, wide with high arches. The selection was thin for my size foot. I looked around and found AE. I got my first pair of AE shoes at Nordstrom’s. They were expensive but fit. I literally wore them out and had them re-crafted. After break in they felt so good. Especially after so many years of ill fitting other brands.
My next move was to Wisconsin. There they had AE stores that had seconds. Shoe Utopia.
They have an a lot of sizes made on different lasts in different colors.
If you can find a place that sells the seconds they are better than some companies firsts. I have sent different pairs in to be re-crafted after being worn down. They came back in great shape. I was never disappointed.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally if the shoes hurt and you had to “ break them in” you bought the wrong size. Shoes should never have to “break in” if they don’t feel right when you first put them on they are wrong.
I have a single pair of Allen Edmonds and while you won’t mistake them for fuzzy slippers felt fine from day one

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I sort of agree with the post above but rather than say wrong size, I would say wrong last. Read up on the last then buy the last that best fits your foot shape.

I have three pair of AE 12, 9, and 7 years old. All have been recrafted. I wouldn't buy any other shoes.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Personally if the shoes hurt and you had to “ break them in” you bought the wrong size. Shoes should never have to “break in” if they don’t feel right when you first put them on they are wrong.
I have a single pair of Allen Edmonds and while you won’t mistake them for fuzzy slippers felt fine from day one

This is a semi-accurate statement.

Depends on the welt, the last, and the sensitivity if the owners foot.
If you wore Vietnam era combat boots, Goodyear welted leather dress shoes will be comfy.
If you grew up wearing Nike’s, those same shoes will have a pretty good break in period.

It’s not if the size is off. It’s about the softening of the leather. Allen Edmonds are notorious for having a tough break in. They have a 360 degree Goodyear welt and a thick leather sole. Those two things combined, make for a rough time.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big guy with plantars fasciitis, AE'sv were the first dress shoes that I ever felt were worth what they charge

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
quote:

Unfortunately J&M shoes aren't as good any more. I have a 30 year old pair of J&M that are American made and are excellent. But they aren't made by hand anymore and are just ordinary factory-made shoes made in Asia.

I've also been a long-time J&M buyer... but I've come to the same conclusion as you. The quality has fallen off a cliff and now I am looking for new dress shoes, but not in a Johnston-Murphy store.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1600 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the Allan Edmonds line. A few years ago, at the recommendation of a friend, I purchased a couple pair of Mephisto shoes, reported to be some of the finest walking shoes in the world. As a runner (with some very gnarly feet), and as someone who rarely has to dress up, most of the time I wear good running shoes (Brooks fit me best). I might try some AEs if I can find some locally. I absolutely cannot buy shoes online.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

Scarpe Di Bianco, my favorite, second to my Bestetti's.

Those shoes look REALLY Nice! Cool

What type of leather is that?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8877 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

Scarpe Di Bianco, my favorite, second to my Bestetti's.

Those shoes look REALLY Nice! Cool

What type of leather is that?

It’s Scotch grain cowhide. To be specific, it’s Hermann Oak tanned leather.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those of you who have had the re-crafting done, what is the average turn around time? My black pair that I bought a few years ago based on forum recommendations has a small hole that is getting bigger.

I bought 4 pairs after that first pair! I love them, although I wish they would bring back the old website.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Depends on how busy the cobbler is. If there are no shoes ahead of yours, and he starts work when you drop them off Monday morning, you should be able to pick up Wednesday, assuming there is adhesive used that needs to cure.

No adhesives, same day.

That said, there is no cobbler that has a schedule that open. Expect a week or two.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I have had two pair that had to be sent back for defects. They were good about swapping them quickly. One had rubber soles cut terribly on the edges and sides that were kind of warped. Another had a crease in the leather lining at the heal.

Other than that, the ones I have bought and kept have been top notch if made in the USA. They occasionally partner with other makers - those are not the same.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
HUGE fan of Allen Edmonds shoes. My wife got me to buy a pair about 25-30 years ago. I shit you not they were $300. I had never bought a pair more than $100 but she insisted I try them so I bought them. The next week I had a trade show to staff and it amounted to a week of 10 hour days standing on a concrete floor with a carpet laid on top. After a week I thought they were as comfortable as a pair of sneakers. After about 10 years of heavy use I sent them back to have then recrafted for around $100. They came back looking like new and perfectly fitted to my foot since they keep the footbed. I still have them today after sending them back twice. I have saved hundreds of dollars from not buying cheap shoes that fell apart after a year. Today Allen Edmonds and Mephesto are my favorite shoes.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Any of these quality dress shoes come in an XW width? 4E is what I usually wear.

AE does.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
AE has a factory seconds site.....but also this site....same but different? Significant savings over the store/web pricing:

https://www.shoebank.com/

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Im an AE whore. Welc9me to the club!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
AE whenever possible!!

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just picked up two pairs of AE last week. I have several pairs and will continue to pick up more as the need/desire strikes.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Reading this site costs me money... but makes me happier.

I went down to Greenwich, CT this afternoon and dropped $375 on a pair of Allen Edmonds "Bond" cap toe dress shoes. Mahogany. Apparently, $75 off the list price.

I can already tell they are superior to any J&M shoe I've owned. Here's hoping that first impression is accurate!

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1600 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I've never tried a pair or even held a pair but there have been numerous threads here about AE shoes. I hope that I get myself in a professional situation where I can get a pair of AE.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post