SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    About Them Allen Edmond Shoes :)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About Them Allen Edmond Shoes :) Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
A few months ago I bought a couple pair of Allen Edmonds to replace some Clarke's UK only shoes. Bought two pair of Presidential(?) version. A pair in black and a pair in chili.

While I could go sideways describing the type of service from the [female] manager at the La Jolla store (only one in San Diego) which essentially resulted in my telling my wife "now I'm only here too see what size Edmond shoe I wear" until the manager's co-worker pulled het to the back for an attitude check... okay, gonna go sideways:

Seems the young lady type manager was from Phoenix. Being now in La Jolla she likely felt, since it wasn't a Rolex on my wrist, the titanium Citizen divers watch (thank you Dave) didn't meet her standard, I want up to her Allan Edmond clientele standard. By the time she was snippy enough to explain how leather shoes don't stretch (had another term) and it was her job to tie my shoes, she was met with my very calm and even toned response was "miss, I've been tying my own shoes since before your mother was born, and I can do it now" (this is when the co-worker pulled her aside to explain how people in San Diego/ La Jolla dress and act).

After she came back out with a completely fresh attitude and quick glance at the previously mentioned watch (per my wife's observation), all was good. Very good.

The manager was kind enough to explain a specific military discount, first time buyer's discount, and pending sale - all of which could be applied if I ordered the shoes and picked them up in the store. It was at this point I decided a pair in black and a pair in chili would fit the bill.

Now the shoe review. Big Grin

The black pair were excruciatingly painful. After three days of wearing them (every-other day) my feet were torn to he'll. The chili pair began to break-in and begin that glove-like feel. Back to the store with the black. Five days later a new pair arrived and fit correctly. (Oh, and the co-worker mentioned above mentioned the store felt it in their best interest to promote him to manger because the previous manager was out seeking other opportunities. )

The now six month review: whomever here suggested these shoes in the past - THANK YOU!!

These have broken in to be some of the most comfortable shoes ever. On par with my LL Bean hiking boots (and that's saying a lot!). Nice thing about the chili pair, a lot of young ladies people notice. After 23 years in the Navy and standing in port OOD watch required the ability to "inspect" others as they approached the quarterdeck while simultaneously watch their eyes, I can notice such glances as someone approaches. Big Grin

So any of you looking for new shoes - get to Allan Edmonds. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
All my dress shoes are Johnston & Murphy.
I bought them in the late 1990s when I joined my law firm and every few years I send them back for refinishing and resoling and they still look new.

They were expensive at the time, but amortized over the useful life (which is still going strong), even with the refinishing costs, I figure I have done alright.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After the reviews here, I ordered some. They are very well made, but the 3E size felt like a "D". Regrettably I sent them back.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Back when I needed stuff like that for work, I had a pair (still do actually).
They take a long time to break in so knowing that I wore them for a short period each day. Slowly you can increase the duration until they feel comfortable enough to last a day.
Once they are good to go, they will last a really long time. You need to find a good place that can resole them when needed and also about proper shoe care.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
You need to find a good place that can resole them when needed and also about proper shoe care.

I got the impression the co-worker mentioned above saying Edmonds had this service. I have the "rubber soul" (whoa, sounds like the title of my next album) version and I recall asking about just that.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
If you like Allen Edmonds shoes, you should definitely also grab a pair of their Shell Cordovan longwings if you don't already have a pair. They are probably the hardest to break in due to the double leather sole, but are comfortable and beautiful once you kill your feet those first 5 miles.

I'll also say that I much prefer to order online, since my experience hasn't been stellar in any of their retail outlets.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the family!

I have a few pair of Allen Edmonds. About a month ago visited the factory and store up in Port Washington WI. (yes i left with a pair of boots and belt) When the need arises, you can send the shoes back to the factory and for a fee they rebuilt and re-sole them. I have done this with 6 pairs so far. And yes you can do it with rubber soles or have them switch it around.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
All my dress shoes are Johnston & Murphy.
I bought them in the late 1990s when I joined my law firm and every few years I send them back for refinishing and resoling and they still look new.

They were expensive at the time, but amortized over the useful life (which is still going strong), even with the refinishing costs, I figure I have done alright.

Unfortunately J&M shoes aren't as good any more. I have a 30 year old pair of J&M that are American made and are excellent. But they aren't made by hand anymore and are just ordinary factory-made shoes made in Asia.

Allen Edmonds are my go-to for dress. They are excellent. Service has always been great, whether I go into the store or order on-line.

You do want to know your size, of course, but also be cognizant of the last each shoe is built on. Some lasts will work better for you than others, and you may want a slightly different size in one last as compared to another. (The differences between loafers and lace-ups can be greater.) That is where going into the store may help - the salesman can help you with that.

They are well made shoes. They wear like iron and can be rebuilt when worn.

Alden is another good brand, but a little more expensive, and harder to find. Also, Alden has fewer styles, and they really stick to the tried-and-true, old-fashioned American styles. Nothing even remotely fashion forward.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of AE. They make a good shoe, and it’s actually Goodyear welted and easily resolable.

Magnani makes a damn fine shoe, with an easier break in period. I’m also a huge fan of JFitzpatrick Shoes, Scarpe di Bianco, and my most favorite, prized pair of Riccardo Bestetti Shoes. (These were made prior to Riccardo's passing).

My AE's (almost all my shoes actually) I have stripped of color and recolored and added patina.

I’ll upload some pics tonight when I get home from work.

If you’re interested in a quality wax, I highly recommend Saphir. I’m quite a fan of all their products.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any of these quality dress shoes come in an XW width? 4E is what I usually wear.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of AE road warrior shoes that are rubber soled. The first time I had them resoled I had them replaced with Vibram soles that were much better for wear.

I was due again to resole them but AE put them on sale for almost the same price as resoleing, so I ordered a new pair instead. They are almost 5 years old and I wear them every day to work.

@c1steve they list up to EEE on their website. You might find that some of their shoes fit. They are built on different lasts and some of them are wider than others.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I recommend AE. They are comfortable dress shoes for the office. They can take a spit shine. And, you can just about last a whole career. They can be refurbished with new soles and heels and the leather refinished.

I dropped them off at the store and they’re mailed back. I only had to get this done once and they’re good for another 25 years. Of course, I rotated through 5 pairs.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
I have a pair of AE road warrior shoes that are rubber soled. The first time I had them resoled I had them replaced with Vibram soles that were much better for wear.

I was due again to resole them but AE put them on sale for almost the same price as resoleing, so I ordered a new pair instead. They are almost 5 years old and I wear them every day to work.

@c1steve they list up to EEE on their website. You might find that some of their shoes fit. They are built on different lasts and some of them are wider than others.

I will give them another try sometime. I will check out their Road Warrior model.

-c1steve

Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
If anybody wants to buy some AE's this weekend, I have a $75 off coupon code that is valid through 9/22/19 (this Sunday). First person to PM me with a request gets the code. Just make your subject line "Sigforum AE code request"

**Edit - Code sent to airmanjeff**

This message has been edited. Last edited by: teombe,

Posts: 2044 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I have quite a few of them. The Badlands are my daily work shoe. They are as comfortable as a running shoe. You get your money’s worth, especially if you buy at the big sales.

I usually can’t resole them. The linings are usually destroyed.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Here are some pics of the usual suspects. Unfortunately I haven’t worn these since I moved to AZ.

Riccardo Bestetti, my absolute favorite, and most comfortable pair I own. Handmade, somewhere between bespoke and MTO, and made by Riccardo prior to his passing.

Scarpe Di Bianco, my favorite, second to my Bestetti's.

Allen Edmonds (these were recolored to purple)

Magnani after I recolored to blue

Double Monk Magnanni that I recolored to resemble cherry wood

JFitzpatrick (I absolutely love these shoes)

Allen Edmonds Derby’s. Gave them away.

These are the AE shoes I colored purple

These are the Magnani prior to being colored blue.

Scarpe Di Bianco

cherrywood shoes

AE shoes that I gave away.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Do you need an outfit to go with those shoes?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Do you need an outfit to go with those shoes?

Nah, I got a few. lol

quote:
The “lol” thread

Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have several pair of J&M and Allen Edmunds. I think J&M are nice, but I wear the J&M more for some reason. Both are great and super comfortable.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I've been wearing Allen Edmonds since the early 80's, love them, have a half dozen pair. One pair, the Park Avenue model, I've sent back to the factory for their 'recrafting' 3 times. They come back looking brand new.

I sent another pair of Italian style loafers in for the recrafting and they called me a week later to say they couldn't recraft that particular style. But, they said I could pick any pair of shoes out of their catalog and they'd replace them, no charge. Terrific customer service!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post