SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's hard to be a parent
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's hard to be a parent Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
Today I've had to watch one of the jr DFs learn a lesson the hard way. When younlings become adults and spread their wings unadvisedly, we parents sometimes have to watch the consequences and let them happen. Out of respect for his privacy, I won't go into specifics other than to say this mistake was avoidable and costly. He is in the other room stinging right now. These are times when if I could do so without creating more grief later, I'd gladly remove his burden. But I should not, so I will not. This is probably the hardest aspect of parenting there is. Allowing the Jr DFs to learn from their mistakes is very painful sometimes. On the other hand, I am glad for the lessons my hard head has learned over the years. This does salve my aching heart right now.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You are right, parenting is hard (to do correctly).

All the lessons I learned well were learned the hard way, too. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
I can tell you I have four, all grown now and raising their own. I get asked by them all the time. WHY IS PARENTING SO HARD? I tell them it is easy, you love them. Hang in there the results are worth it.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From their first stitch or cast. Grandkids, too.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Trouble is, you have to let them make their own mistakes, up to a point. Hopefully they live. Mostly they do, I guess, to experience the Revenge of the Grandchildren.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a parent. Missed the opportunity. I do have a suggestion that you may or may not have already covered. A short conversation something like this -

"I am sorry, this is an expensive and painful lesson on many levels. Know that I have many such lessons myself, under my belt. In the future, if you ask, I might be able to offer some insight so you don't have to make them all yourself."

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
What? Well, he'll never grow up to be a special snowflake with that attitude, dad!

But yes. I learned some lessons myself as a young un.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paragon:
I learned some lessons myself as a young un.
I might need new glasses. The first time I read that, I thought that you had learned some lessons as a young nun.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for you DF. It really hurts going thru that.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somethings have to be learned, they can't be taught.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
It's hard but it will pay you back ten fold down the road.

Sounds like you have a good handle on this parenting stuff.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3850 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I was thinking they dug another hole in the back lawn... Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I was thinking they dug another hole in the back lawn... Big Grin

Oh no you din't! Big Grin

I think if there were another hole in the back yard he would crawl in it. He's feeling humiliated, vulnerable........and broke. As Chris42 suggested I had a discussion with him to ensure he understood why this happened so that he can learn the right lessons from it. We engineered the right path back together. He knows that though he must carry this load, we are there for support and encouragement. He knows we love him and that the larger loss would be to not learn from this. He will have to start back at square one and live humbly for a while. It's a good thing his boss is also his father (no, he's not a postal worker Big Grin). He's still very young and resilient. In less than a year this will all be a memory. If it's not too much to ask, maybe remember him in your prayers if you are so inclined.

Thanks for reading. I needed someplace to vent my emotion.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
It's definitely a lot tougher being a parent than I ever imagined. You only want for your kids to make good choices and be happy. When those things don't come together, and you see them suffer, it rips you apart inside.

Good luck Darth, sounds like Jr. has everything he needs to succeed in life.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent. Keep up the good work, dad.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I bet he will be just fine as he's got you for guidance. Dad is his rock of ages.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the right thing to do. Parents who erect a safety net for their children encourage further risk taking. Ultimately, the child does something that breaks the net with much worse consequences.

We have five children, all of whom are self sustaining adults.

I have a SIL who hasn't ever let her children be adults. She's happy because they all still depend on their parents but none of them have the satisfaction of accomplishing something on their own.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
He knows that though he must carry this load, we are there for support and encouragement. He knows we love him and that the larger loss would be to not learn from this.

Good job, Dad. Though I know it's hard on you watching them learn... it's necessary.

Like Wasabibill says:
quote:
It's the right thing to do. Parents who erect a safety net for their children encourage further risk taking. Ultimately, the child does something that breaks the net with much worse consequences.

On the flip side, I think we all have a little more joy and satisfaction in their successes, and so do they, when they know they are earned rather than given.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being a parent, done right, can have its rough times. Watching your child go through difficult situations can be heart wrenching but seeing them come out the other side is worth it.

When they became loving, respectful and productive members of society I realized that being a parent was the most wonderful, rewarding job I've ever been blessed with.

Prayers sent.

Posts: 69 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
But the moments and memories of being a parent have such rewards that it can't properly be put into words.

My father was right; it's the greatest thing in the world.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post