SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wi-fi connected thermostats.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wi-fi connected thermostats. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
I should probably put this in the rant section, but I hate the damn things. I want the old school bell housing with the clear plastic cover that you turn. My house is 3300 square feet, 108 years old, and heated by a hot water boiler. Any and all monetary gains from lowering the temp are lost when you try to bring it back up. I have no idea why something as simple as a thermostat has to be so damn complicated.

When and how would I ever need to connect to it thru weefee?

I am a plumbing and heating contractor (hot water boiler heat) and I agree with you. No need for these except if you want to know what is going on while you are away for any period of time. Day to day regulation of hydronic systems is worthless.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two gen 2 Nest's, one on each floor. Love them. Would never go back.

Gen 3 is the current version.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I like the look and the thought of adjusting while traveling, but other than that what's so great about them? I need some good excuses for $250 when the old one still works.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I have this one and I like it a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywe...Amazon/dp/B00FLZEQH2

As you mentioned, being able to adjust/monitor it while traveling is nice. It's also good if you forget to change the thermostat after leaving the house or if you want to adjust it before getting home.

Another first world problem perk is if you want to adjust it without getting up.

Posts: 6343 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
We have the Nest and it is awesome.

Greatest asset; being able to crank the A/C down from bed with my iPhone when the wife has her menopausal hot flashes.
No need to get out of bed to adjust the thermostat.

Winning.... Big Grin

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
so someone hacks your wifi

they now can control the climate in your house...

like turn off the heat in the middle of winter and cause your pipes to burst

is it really that hard to just get up and turn the dial...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
^ okay that's dramatic. If they "hacked" my wifi they'd also have to "hack" my Nest login credentials too in order to control it. And if they're that bored, more power to them.

I love my 3rd gen Nest. Had a 2nd gen at my last home. They're great to have and make things so easy.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

is it really that hard to just get up and turn the dial...

I'm gonna buy stock in Alcoa because of people like you. Roll Eyes

No one gives a fuck about my wifi thermostat... Wink

And yes. it is easier to pick up my phone than get out of bed, or even on the couch watching TV with a loved one.
It isn't laziness, it is convenient...

It is also cooling/heating the house before I get home.
It is also knowing the house temp when I'm gone and the dogs are locked in their kennels.
It is also knowing in bad weather if my power went out when I'm gone.
If I can't connect, chances are the power is out at home.
I can call someone and make arrangements to check on the house and the dogs..

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Why is there so much love for these silly nest things? As far as I understand, they aren't programmable, the just self adjust based how how you set it, is that correct? I've had Honeywell programmable ones for years then five years ago when mine crapped out I got the same programmable with Wi-Fi. I love it. Works just like my old one but with added benefit of being able to change it while traveling or being to lazy to get out of bed. No learning my habits or schedule, which frankly would not work for me, as both our schedules vary widely. I'm pretty sure I don't need artificial intelligence in my t-stat.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Emerson Sensi here and very happy

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4519 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
It's really no different than when they invented the remote control for the TV. I'm betting there were people back then who said "whats the matter, are you too lazy to get up and turn the knob yourself?

Posts: 6343 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vandrv:
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
Make sure your thermostat wire is a 5 conductor and has a 'common' wire before you purchase anything.

Mine is really old and has no common so no constant voltage. As a result I had to get two Emerson Sensi thermostats that run on AA batteries instead.

Similar functionality, with a little less intelligence, but cost about $100 less each than the nest.

I had the same problem, having no ac and a two wire setup. I solved the problem by buying a 24 volt transformer from Amazon, and wiring it into the thermostat.

What was connections on the therm that you used? Sounds like I would like to duplicate your setup.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Why is there so much love for these silly nest things? As far as I understand, they aren't programmable, the just self adjust based how how you set it, is that correct? I've had Honeywell programmable ones for years then five years ago when mine crapped out I got the same programmable with Wi-Fi. I love it. Works just like my old one but with added benefit of being able to change it while traveling or being to lazy to get out of bed. No learning my habits or schedule, which frankly would not work for me, as both our schedules vary widely. I'm pretty sure I don't need artificial intelligence in my t-stat.

It is 100% programmable. It not only learns your habits (if you make adjustments to the schedule consistently) but it also learns the system. So if it takes 1 hour to cool your house 2 degrees, it also learns to shut down the compressor early so it uses the residual cooling to finish the cycle so you don't have your thermostat set for 72 and the house gets down to 70 for example. Saving power.

Not to mention fan control, humidity control, home/away management, and a few other nice to haves.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

I'm gonna buy stock in Alcoa because of people like you. Roll Eyes

[tin foil hat image removed for space and bandwidth savings...]

No one gives a fuck about my wifi thermostat... Wink

Except someone might give a frack about your WiFi thermostat.

Just in case you haven't been paying attention: Bad guys from all over the world have been hacking into IoT (Internet of Things) devices of all flavours, recently. Sometimes they do it to recruit those things to achieve unrelated ends. (An IoT 'bot was used to conduct a DDoS [Distributed Denial of Service] flood, just a few months ago.) Sometimes they do it simply to wreak mischief or havoc. (E.g.: Turning off somebody's heat in the dead of winter while they're away on vacation.) Sometimes they do it just because they can. Sometimes, in that last case, any resulting damage was unintended. That's cold comfort to their victims.

So don't be rollin' yer eyes at people and talkin' of tin foil hats. The risk is anything but unfounded paranoia. Paranoia it may be, but, it's well-founded paranoia.

OTOH: No denying the attraction to such things. I gave one a try, myself, one time. Didn't like the way it worked. Didn't feel the risk, no matter how small, was worth the benefit, so I removed it and replaced it with a stand-alone programmable. It serves our needs, and it really isn't all that hard to haul my dead backside out of my comfy easy chair, wander into the hallway, and bump the thermostat, if desired Wink

As with anything: You have to balance the (perceived) risk(s) against the (perceived) benefit(s). In my case the perceived benefit was it would've been trick, mainly. I felt that insufficient benefit for the potential risk. YMMV.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
We have a nest. It has made a noticeable difference on our bills. Paid for itself years ago.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
my point is (and its NOT tinfoil)

just because you can control something over wifi, the more important question is should you

I have wifi at my house and I have a laptop connected to it

thats it, and when I'm not using it, the laptop is off

I don't need my garage door, thermostats, desk lamp in the library, door locks and all that other crap connected to my phone just for shits and grins

every connection is a point of weakness

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I have an EcoBee3 and it has been great, chose it over the Nest for a few reasons. A big one being that you can set the temperature thresholds in the Ecobee in terms of when to activate/deactivate the HVAC system. I've got mine set to 1.0 deg F and it seems just right. You can also disable all of the "learning" in the Ecobee and just have it run your program which I really like.

My old programmable non-Wifi Honeywell was a pain in the butt. Not easy to update the program at all, seemed like it was always too hot or always too cold, and it cycled my HVAC system on/off way too rapidly. I started taking some measurements and it would allow some very big temperature swings before it would activate/deactivate the HVAC system in the winter.

The Ecobee has been 100X better. More controllable, easier to program, easier to change for trips, easier to ensure temps are where they should be, more comfortable with the multiple room sensors, and it has already saved me money on my utility bills.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I have the nest in my office, NO IDEA how to use it, it's easy to adjust the temperature though haha

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JakiHere
posted Hide Post
lol, same here, only mine's an ecobee 4. I have no idea about the installation. I'm just glad it works with Alexa. It's pricey though.

Posts: 20 | Registered: August 14, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

It is 100% programmable. It not only learns your habits (if you make adjustments to the schedule consistently) but it also learns the system. So if it takes 1 hour to cool your house 2 degrees, it also learns to shut down the compressor early so it uses the residual cooling to finish the cycle so you don't have your thermostat set for 72 and the house gets down to 70 for example. Saving power.

Not to mention fan control, humidity control, home/away management, and a few other nice to haves.

Honeywell's been this way for years (actually decades).

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post