SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wi-fi connected thermostats.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wi-fi connected thermostats. Login/Join 
posted
Hi, all. I haven't been around here too much lately, but being recently retired, maybe I'll spend a little more time here getting to "know" you all again...

Anyway, one of the things I'm thinking of doing at home is installing one of these newfangled wi-fi connected thermostat units. I don't know too much about them, but thought I'd ask if anyone does have one, which one, and what your thoughts or suggestions would be?

Cost of the unit is secondary to functionality. Thanks for any advice....

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Here's two threads:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5200095514

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5350076514

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll check those out.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend the Nest thermostat. I've had one for ~4 years now and it's great.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I have the ecobee and have not been entirely happy with it. The remote sensors loose contact with the "base" frequently. I had a Nest prior to that and think it still is the standard.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Can't speak to the other brands but we have the Nest and it's worked very well, they even replaced my Gen 1 with an upgraded version when the old unit was incapable of software upgrades due to a flaw in the design. It still worked fine but they
would not be able to send updates, so they swapped it out for free.

Easy to use, has a smart phone app, some power saving features, auto away, auto fan circulation schedule etc.

Posts: 23372 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
I started one of the threads linked by Shaql. I wound up buying the Sensi wifi thermostat and have been happy with it. It doesn't have quite all the bells and whistles of the Nest or Ecobee, but it does allow me to control my furnace from my phone, and it was quite a bit less expensive than the others.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Make sure your thermostat wire is a 5 conductor and has a 'common' wire before you purchase anything.

Mine is really old and has no common so no constant voltage. As a result I had to get two Emerson Sensi thermostats that run on AA batteries instead.

Similar functionality, with a little less intelligence, but cost about $100 less each than the nest.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
Make sure your thermostat wire is a 5 conductor and has a 'common' wire before you purchase anything.

Mine is really old and has no common so no constant voltage. As a result I had to get two Emerson Sensi thermostats that run on AA batteries instead.

Similar functionality, with a little less intelligence, but cost about $100 less each than the nest.

I had the same problem, having no ac and a two wire setup. I solved the problem by buying a 24 volt transformer from Amazon, and wiring it into the thermostat.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I had that issue with mine I think, when I installed the Honeywell pre-Nest Wi-Fi thermostat about 4 years ago. They had instructions or a video or something in using the fan wiring with bridge wiring at the thermostat to get your power. You can't run your HVAC in fan mode set up like that, but being in the Midwest, I never use the fan mode as it ends up only circulating cold air in the winter or humid air in the summer.

Posts: 2512 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Nest in a second home and am very happy with it. I can control the temp from my phone and check in to mAke sure the heat pump is working. Nest tech support is great. I took a picture of the wires I have and they verified what I had to do to hook it up.

Posts: 185 | Location: Deep Creek Lake, MD, Stuart, FL.  | Registered: December 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
I have a Sensi - works great Wink

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I'm happy with our Nest.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honeywell fan...

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
So far so good on the Ecobee. MOstly just an easy to program thermostat, but I can also control from a smartphone or my Amazon Echo.

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vandrv:
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:

I had the same problem, having no ac and a two wire setup. I solved the problem by buying a 24 volt transformer from Amazon, and wiring it into the thermostat.

Mines was so old I only had a two conductor wire.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Nest is working great in our household.

Posts: 13676 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I should probably put this in the rant section, but I hate the damn things. I want the old school bell housing with the clear plastic cover that you turn. My house is 3300 square feet, 108 years old, and heated by a hot water boiler. Any and all monetary gains from lowering the temp are lost when you try to bring it back up. I have no idea why something as simple as a thermostat has to be so damn complicated.

When and how would I ever need to connect to it thru weefee?

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vandrv:
I started one of the threads linked by Shaql. I wound up buying the Sensi wifi thermostat and have been happy with it. It doesn't have quite all the bells and whistles of the Nest or Ecobee, but it does allow me to control my furnace from my phone, and it was quite a bit less expensive than the others.

^^^^ This. I have been happy with the Sensi and the lower price is refreshing. Has a schedule, you can remote in and change it anytime.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the threads Shaql provided, but I have a Nest and think it's the bomb. We've had it for almost three years and it's paid for itself several times over.

I wouldn't consider a different one.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6393 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post