SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jury selection in Trials of Police Officers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jury selection in Trials of Police Officers Login/Join 
posted
This is an excellent article in light of the recent trials of several police officers. It was written prior to the recent verdicts, but accurately reflects what goes on behind the scenes in getting people chosen to be on a jury. I thought the selection process described by the clinical psychologist was very interesting and enlightening. I would be interested in the comments of Sig Forum members on this topic. Here is the link to the story:

https://www.google.com/url?q=h...UDplD4a-Og2h3s-lg6FA

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I was called many times for jury selection here in Dallas. In every criminal case I was asked by the defense counsel if I had any friends who were law enforcement. I answered truthfully that I did, and was summarily released from the jury pool. Mind you, none of these cases had a LEO in a primary role. The general impression I got was that the defense lawyer felt that, because I was a friend to LE, I'd automatically accept anything a LEO said as truth, and that it would probably be detrimental to his client (the latter was probably true, but the former was not). Both lawyers also inquired about bumper stickers and organizations we belonged to. I think they even asked if we had a Flag on display at our house.

I know that my favorite NCIS TV character has now taken a role as a Jury Consultant (in "Bull") and I have refused to watch that show because I find the whole idea of that job despicable. My idea of a "jury of one's peers" is to go out on the street and scoop up 12 people. I know that's simplistic, but that's what would have happened in the 1800s.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I have often referred to the process of selecting juries as "preemptive jury tampering."

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post