SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Our new cat is a weirdo
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our new cat is a weirdo Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
Daughter bought the wife a kitten for Christmas last year.
A little over a year old, he’s probably pushing 10 lbs.
Thinks he’s a dog.
Anytime I get ice from the fridge, he comes running and if a stay cube lands on the floor it’s on. Doesn’t matter what time of the day or night, he comes running.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
That's pretty funny!

I have a cat that comes running every time we print anything. He watches that printer every time with utter fascination...

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3922 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Well give the poor cat some ice then! Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Might be part Maine coon. Super soft, wispy hair? My red Maine coon looks like that, same tail and body shape, but weighs in at 22lbs. He's also intrigued with water and used to play with ice cubes that hit the floor when he was younger.

Before we got him, we used to put the other cat's water in a tall water glass on the floor because he kept leaping up and stealing from our water cups, even right in front of us. I complained to a friend about it, who suggested we put a water glass on the floor next to his food bowl. He stopped messing with our drinks completely. Then we got the Maine coon, who used to paw at the water, then knock over the 32oz glass and prance around in the water, making a big mess. We don't do the water glass for the other cat anymore.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
That's pretty funny!

I have a cat that comes running every time we print anything. He watches that printer every time with utter fascination...

One of mine comes running every time I print something. Just sits there and stares at it 99% of the time. Sometimes he'll bat at it, but he's been told "no" enough that he just sits right in front of it and watches it.

They both will come running when I turn on the kitchen sink, not always, but most of the time. The do come 100% of the time when I am rinsing out their water dish, they know that leads to food.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Yep, super soft thin hair
Daughter thinks he’s part flame point Siamese, but I’m no cat expert
He does seem to like water, if you leave a glass of water somewhere overnight, invariably he will knock it in the floor

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Might be part Maine coon. Super soft, wispy hair? My red Maine coon looks like that, same tail and body shape, but weighs in at 22lbs. He's also intrigued with water and used to play with ice cubes that hit the floor when he was younger.

Before we got him, we used to put the other cat's water in a tall water glass on the floor because he kept leaping up and stealing from our water cups, even right in front of us. I complained to a friend about it, who suggested we put a water glass on the floor next to his food bowl. He stopped messing with our drinks completely. Then we got the Maine coon, who used to paw at the water, then knock over the 32oz glass and prance around in the water, making a big mess. We don't do the water glass for the other cat anymore.

--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Those are Maine coon traits, for sure. Probably a mix of that and Siamese.

Does he vocalize and yowl a lot? Like, different than other cats?

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those are Maine coon traits, for sure. Probably a mix of that and Siamese.

Does he vocalize and yowl a lot? Like, different than other cats?

He’s not real vocal, I think he’s just a stuck up jerk though
When he does make noise, it’s definitely different

--Riff Raff--

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Just after reading you post. Walk into the kitchen and Black is doing this. Drinks 1/4 of the time like this, especially when I've just changed the water.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/6DfOkToTE70

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Jesse, your other video of Black in the Box has a piece of paper with some sensitive information in it that's ummm... readable.

quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:

Yeah, when we got Max, he was the size of a tennis ball. He never meowed. He still doesn't. He chirps, squeaks, and has this inhale-scream yowl thing he does when he's lonely and can't find anyone to play with.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
The Fuzz only drinks from his...er, my old coffee mug, filled with fresh water atop my bathroom sink. It's his turf now and I just comply to his demands Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jesse, your other video of Black in the Box has a piece of paper with some sensitive information in it that's ummm... readable.

quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:

Yeah, when we got Max, he was the size of a tennis ball. He never meowed. He still doesn't. He chirps, squeaks, and has this inhale-scream yowl thing he does when he's lonely and can't find anyone to play with.

Removed, thanks.

Black can't meow either he squeaks and makes a noise that kind of sounds like a rotary phone ringing.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
Our oldest cat likes to drink with her paw and sometimes makes quite the mess with it.

Our two youngest, a brother and sister, will both chase a stray ice cube but it's the sister that will come running when the ice dispenser is being used. I bought the cats a water fountain last year and the sister likes to drink from the stream. This has caused her to become enamored with the faucet in the kitchen sink. If she sees you starting to use it, she will jump up and start drinking from the stream. In fact, she has memorized my morning routine and knows just when I'm going to get water or rinse something and is right there waiting for me.

Those two also like to have a couple of "toys" in the large side of the sink and will get in and roll around while playing. By toys, I mean the old scrubbing pad and a couple of drinking straws. They seem to like the smell of the pad and will hold it and rub against it. The straws are good for just batting around and chewing on. That goes for the little material toy balls as well. I always have to check under furniture, the stove and the fridge to find them all.

I think most cats are weirdos to a certain degree.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought the cats a water fountain last year and the sister likes to drink from the stream.

I believe they instinctively want to drink from moving water. When you're out in the boonies and don't have your own water, you always want to drink from a creek, stream or river where the water flows, not a stagnant pond or pool with crap in it.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Just after reading you post. Walk into the kitchen and Black is doing this. Drinks 1/4 of the time like this, especially when I've just changed the water.
the other cat is thinking are you seeing this? oh, good, your recording.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
My cat likes her water on tap. She jumps on the counter and pesters me until I turn the faucet on just a bit. She crouches down, sticks her forehead under the stream and laps the water as it runs down her forehead and nose.

I don’t know why she doesn’t get brain freeze. Maybe she has no brain.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful kitty.
Does she have hair protruding from between her toes and in her ears?
Is she more attached to one family member?
Does she like to spend time in that person's lap?
Does she trill or chirp vs making a "meowing " sound?
If yes, she may indeed be part Maine Coon.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/XYzGBJzl9uY

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once had a cat that did the faucet thing. And he also loved to watch the toilet flush. Which was a little disturbing. The swirling waters fascinated him.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Had a dog that would put her front paws on a piece of ice and run around "skating" her front paws.

One of the funniest things ever.

And she loved Kraft Singles. I would tear a 1/2 inch and drop it, she catch it mid air and looked like a seal eating fish.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post