SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Clay Pigeon Throwers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clay Pigeon Throwers? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Yesterday my wife and I participated in a team sporting clays competition Boy Scout fundraiser at a local conservation (sportsman's) club. $110/shooter for 55 clays at 16 stations. It was a hoot. Sixteen stations, I believe it was. All kinds of patterns/scenarios. That included your ammo, water and pop along the way, and dinner and beer at the end.

My wife and I didn't do well, but, considering the fact that neither of us have touched our scatter-guns in years, we didn't do as badly as we feared we would.

That got me to thinking. We've a manual thrower, but, with her back, she can't operate it any more. That means when I'm up: Rack my shotgun, load and cock the thrower, get set all over, "PULL!," repeat.

Then it lost the little spring steel wire thingy that keeps the clay from sliding down the arm until the mechanism's tripped and that was that for the day.

Commercial ranges are expensive and the sportsman's clubs are either restricted to club members and guests, have limited days and times they're open to the public, or are restricted to steel shot. (Do not like steel shot.)

So I got to thinking: Maybe one of those more automated throwers? I think they run off a small lead acid battery? What does it cost to get a "decent" one? Something that won't break the bank, but that'll hold up? Would be nice if it could throw doubles, but don't need anything that's got all kinds of fancy pattern programmability. Recommendations?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We've looked some. Electrics are usually $300+

I've been considering tha "One Step" manual version

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a
Do all double with wobblers 3/4 cock I am getting rid of.
Just stepped up to an atlas.
No need to look anywhere else
Solid
Reliable
Good cs

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chp37
posted Hide Post
I have had a One Step thrower for years. Very easy to use, even for one shooter. The clays come out a little slower than automated range traps. Launch angle can be varied and doubles can be tossed.

https://www.amazon.com/Trius-1...p-Trap/dp/B0000C53F6

Posts: 586 | Registered: October 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Found a reasonably economical solution: Champion WheelyBird Auto-Feed Trap

$219 and free shipping with Amazon Prime. MSRP is $450. Seems like a pretty good deal. Gets 4.6 stars out of 5, with 438 reviews.

It doesn't do doubles, or have oscillating wobbling options, but neither did our manual thrower. (Well, it could do doubles. Sometimes. If you were lucky.) It weighs only 48 lbs. and includes built-in wheels.

One of my best friends has a Champion EasyBird, so, when we want to, we can get together and do doubles at varying angles, heights, from both sides, etc.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would be looking at an Izaak Walton Club. There is one in Belmont, MI. There are also some in Indiana.

http://www.michiganikes.org/Dw...ter%20Info/home.html

The clay birds are toxic to cattle if I recall correctly and then there is the lead shot problem. Most clubs reclaim the shot and clean up the broken clay birds.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I would be looking at an Izaak Walton Club. There is one in Belmont, MI.

That's on the other side of the state from us. But thanks for the recommendation.

quote:
Originally posted by 41:
The clay birds are toxic to cattle if I recall correctly

Wouldn't surprise me. I don't plan to be shooting clays on anybody's farm, so... Smile

quote:
Originally posted by 41:
and then there is the lead shot problem. Most clubs reclaim the shot and clean up the broken clay birds.

The DNR-run sites in Michigan do. The one nearest me just had had the rifle and pistol ranges down for a couple weeks for lead reclamation. I think they're doing the scatter-gun area now.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Couple friends and I group bought a whirly bird thrower back when we didnt have money. It works great and still does, i think we're on 10 years now. I believe you can buy an after market wobbler/oscilator for it but i could be thinking of another. We always had extra hands so just had someone else run it and adjust it all the time.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
There are also some Izaak Walton Clubs in Indiana:

https://www.google.com/search?...2!1i823!2i465!4f13.1

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I have an atlas at 50

http://www.atlastraps.com/AT-50_p_10.html

wired in a foot pedal with a long extension cord so I can go by myself and shoot all day. made of stainless steel ran perfect from day one, had it 10 years.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Found a reasonably economical solution: Champion WheelyBird Auto-Feed Trap

$219 and free shipping with Amazon Prime. MSRP is $450. Seems like a pretty good deal. Gets 4.6 stars out of 5, with 438 reviews.

It doesn't do doubles, or have oscillating wobbling options, but neither did our manual thrower. (Well, it could do doubles. Sometimes. If you were lucky.) It weighs only 48 lbs. and includes built-in wheels.

One of my best friends has a Champion EasyBird, so, when we want to, we can get together and do doubles at varying angles, heights, from both sides, etc.

GREAT find! I have been shopping for one, they (Raven or Champion) are always around $300.
Ordered the Champion on sale.
THANKS for posting that.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
THANKS for posting that.

You're welcome. Glad it helped you out.

posted Hide Post
We bought an Atlas Patriot. We have had it a couple of years and it has been trouble free. Durning that time it has thrown several thousand clays. It is a very well built, easy to use unit. You can call and actually speak with someone at Atlas that knows about the product. I would buy another without any hesitation.

Posts: 118 | Location: KDTO...NTX | Registered: October 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certain clay targets are toxic to swine. Once upon a time I knew a fellow whose neighbor raised a few hogs and he would let them out to forage so he did not have to feed them. The roaming hogs would rototil fields, tear up home gardens, etc. one fellow was feed up so he took clay targets, put cheap peanut butter in the dome and put them in fermented corn. Problem solved!

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Update

Got the Champion Wheelybird middle of last week. Finally cleared the decks of Other Stuff, got to my favourite battery place and picked up an Interstate deep-discharge "scooter" battery. Came home, assembled the thrower.

Hint: Disregard the instructions on installing the spring. Instead: Attach the spring to both the crankshaft eyebolt and the mainspring bolt, then operate the throwing arm until the mainspring bolt can be fed through the hole in the rear, finally leaving the throwing arm pointing straight out.

My wife and I wrestled with that verkakte thing for about an hour, trying to get that fracking spring on by following the instructions. Discovered the above by accident.

Took 'er out to the back forty, loaded six clays on, and ...

Wheelybird debut

(Had it embedded, but couldn't get it to stop autoplaying. So URL, instead.)

I think I can lower the elevation just a touch Big Grin (And, I think, maybe the spring pressure. Those clays went a loooong ways.)

So, so far I'd call it a qualified success.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Mine came last week also. It was shipped to my Sons house so it has not been un-boxed yet.
Thanks for the Assembly tip!

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
I have a brand new one in the box I would love to sell.

The box is a bit damaged, but the contents are brand new.

If you are interested I will look up the model.

Posts: 1777 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post