SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is Your iPhone not charging?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Your iPhone not charging? Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
I couldn't figure out why my iPhone 8 stopped charging. Then I read that if ambient temperature goes too high, the software will cut off charging at about 80% to prevent battery overheating (mine won't go above 84%). It's 96°F for the second day in a row here.

quote:
If your device stopped charging at 80 percent

Your iPhone might get slightly warmer while it charges. To extend the lifespan of your battery, if the battery gets too warm, software might limit charging above 80 percent. Your iPhone will charge again when the temperature drops. Try moving your iPhone and charger to a cooler location.

Apple Support

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Unless you’re charging it in direct sunlight, it should not be entering thermal protection from being plugged in. How old is it? There may be a battery issue. Watch for any sign of the screen starting to swell. I’ve seen 2 different iPhone 6’s swell to near bursting.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I've been through the swelling battery issue before, it's not that. Plus I just set up the charger in front of my Dyson fan, and it's going up above 90% now.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried digging lint out of the charging port? I used a toothpick to pick a wad of lint from my 6+ and it’s like a different phone, charging wise.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I don't think it would help much, being I use a wireless charger. At any rate, as I said, I got the phone to charge all the way up by cooling it with a room fan.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I don't think it would help much, being I use a wireless charger. At any rate, as I said, I got the phone to charge all the way up by cooling it with a room fan.

I missed that part but mine would indicate 100% charged yet would barely last a half day. Battery chemistry’s can be weird about voltage, current, charge rate, etc.
And this wireless charging tech may not be all it’s cracked up to be.
Anyway, good luck with it.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been through the swelling battery issue before, it's not that. Plus I just set up the charger in front of my Dyson fan, and it's going up above 90% now.

Still seems odd to me; it should not be entering thermal protection simply from charging. I have a wireless charger for my XS, and the wife and daughters 8+’s. None of them have any problem with either heat or capacity. It could be an electric current issue with the charging base you’re using.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I put my phone in my cooler when it's too hot to charge or prop it in my A/C vent.

*Note I do not have ice in the cooler, just the blue reusable ice packs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

Still seems odd to me; it should not be entering thermal protection simply from charging. I have a wireless charger for my XS, and the wife and daughters 8+’s. None of them have any problem with either heat or capacity. It could be an electric current issue with the charging base you’re using.

I really think it has something to do with it being triple-digit heat here in the Bay Area.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Still seems odd to me; it should not be entering thermal protection simply from charging.

But it's not simply from charging. It's entering thermal protection because it's charging in an environment with an ambient temperature well above 90 deg. That doesn't seem odd to me at all.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:

Still seems odd to me; it should not be entering thermal protection simply from charging.

But it's not simply from charging. It's entering thermal protection because it's charging in an environment with an ambient temperature well above 90 deg. That doesn't seem odd to me at all.

I charge my phone occasionally in my vehicle, and it easily reaches in excess of 90 degrees. It still gets to 100% without the thermal message. Unless it is sitting in a car in direct sunlight, I cannot imagine triple digits temps in the Bay Area.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really think it has something to do with it being triple-digit heat here in the Bay Area.
No air conditioning? Wink
quote:
I charge my phone occasionally in my vehicle, and it easily reaches in excess of 90 degrees. It still gets to 100% without the thermal message. Unless it is sitting in a car in direct sunlight, I cannot imagine triple digits temps in the Bay Area.
Agreed. The only time I have ever gotten a thermal caution is in direct sunlight. Hot, but in the shade, it does fine - even sitting by the pool in the summer, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Here's a screenshot of my phone currently charging. The internal temperature is 89 deg while the air temp in my office is right now 65 deg. Increase the ambient temperature by 30 deg and the internal temperature would most likely easily go into triple digits. Those are the numbers. At what point the phone would go into thermal protection I don't know, but it does not seem odd at all to me if a phone does when it's sitting in 90 plus degree heat and on a charger, especially if it has a lot of background functions running.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It does in fact say right on the Apple site that ambient temperature can be a problem:

"Try moving your iPhone and charger to a cooler location."

Apple Support

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
It does in fact say right on the Apple site that ambient temperature can be a problem:

Apple Support

I do confess to genuine curiosity- where is it reaching double triple digit temps where you can utilize a fan in the Bay Area?

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:

Apple Support

For me, that would mean to move up north someplace! Razz

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do confess to genuine curiosity- where is it reaching double triple digit temps where you can utilize a fan in the Bay Area?

It's hit triples in several places the past couple days. I saw a 97 yesterday where I am.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's hit triples in several places the past couple days. I saw a 97 yesterday where I am.

I had no idea San Fran area gets that kind of heat; do you keep it that hot indoors? I couldn’t bear it.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I had no idea San Fran area gets that kind of heat; do you keep it that hot indoors? I couldn’t bear it.

We have heat waves like anywhere. What's happening now is breaking records, however.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Again, do you just grin and bear that kind of heat indoors? I’m just having difficulty imagining the need for a fan indoors unless you are.