SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Paragon? Disney savvy folks?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paragon? Disney savvy folks? Login/Join 
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted
My son is five. My family has a home in FL that is lived in ~7 months of the year. My husband is a veteran. I’d like to bring my boy to Disney World, as I went when I was a child, but it’s pretty intimidating, looking at prices et al.
We just want to do the straight Disney Park, rides and so forth, no need for the other stuff. We are located in Tampa, so could easily drive and spend the day.
Thoughts on what would be our best value?
Thank you.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Check to see if your husbands status allows use of the Shades of Green. Big rooms for small resort price. The buses at the Shades only run once an hour per location but the Polynesian Resort isn’t too far a walk to grab more convenient buses or the monorail. Also see if he qualifies for the MILITARY PROMOTIONAL TICKET. Best value available but just buying standard tickets will save a few pennies.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this information.

"Trust, but verify."

posted Hide Post
Since you are a Florida resident, they have tickets available at a cheaper rate.

https://disneyworld.disney.go....ents-tickets-passes/

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I live in central Florida between Tampa and Orlando. If you are going to stay in Tampa be aware traffic on I4 can be a nightmare during certain times of the day.
If you are going to make multiple to trips to Disney it might be a good idea to look at staying on Disney property or off property close by.
When are you going?
Some parks charge more during busier times of the year. If going during the holidays the parks can get so busy that some will start closing to non resort guest. The parks close in stages based on how full they are.
As ceptor781 has said your husband may be eligible for discounts through Shades Of Green. Things like room rates/park tickets.
Be prepared to spend a lot on not only tickets but food. It is possible (depending on the size of your family)to easily spend a couple hundred dollars just on food . It depends on how many times a day you eat and where.
If you drive from Tampa to the parks be prepared to spend 20 dollars a day to park unless you have some of the different annual pass that have parking included.
Your best bet may be to talk to a travel agent to see if there are any deals depending on the time of year you go.
There is a web site my wife goes to wdwinfo.com there is good info there and if you join you can as questions and get pretty good info from the members.
I hope this helps.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Since you are a Florida resident, they have tickets available at a cheaper rate.

https://disneyworld.disney.go....ents-tickets-passes/
I don't think that irreverent is a Florida resident. Check the original post.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
BAck when I was a kid, Disney offered a Fla residents discount in Feb or March...you may want to check into that.

We too Tommy when he turned 6

I went to the MWR at Seymour Johnson (AFB) here near Goldsboro NC...you should check in with MRW at MacDill AFB....IT WAS WORTH THE TICKETS-DEEPLY DISCOUNTED

Plan ahead (Mrs Mike planned our trip better than D-Day, I think 3 months out she stayed up and got online and booked our fast pass for each day...) THIS IS A MUST

Plan for expensive food (just like Bush Gardens etc), We broke even on the plan/food that we purchased but we did stay on the property for 5 days. If I lived in Tampa and took a day trip I'd just get the food whenever... if you are going to take 2 or more days than stay at Shades of Green. (the old polynesian hotel from a time long long ago)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As noted above, Shades of Green is available for military personnel. Normally, you must be active or retired (20+ years, w/military pension). However, during the months of September & January, an honorable discharge and a DD214 will allow you to stay at a Cat 3 rate ($155/night). This is much cheaper that even the "moderate" Disney resorts. Shades of Green used to actually be a Disney Golf resort (hence the location between two golf courses), and has the largest standard rooms on Disney property. When the golf resort idea didn't pan out for Disney, they leased the resort to the DoD. A few years later, the DoD bought the resort outright. The lower priced Disney "value" resorts are an option, as they run about the same, if not somewhat less.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
V-tail is correct. Our family has had a home there since the late 70’s, but are not residents.

My folks are snowbirds, and I fly down maybe once or twice a year. I usually start a thread asking about good places to eat before I get there so we can check out new places and tried and trues Smile

Yes, I remember the Polynesian! Always wanted to stay there, but we usually stayed at what was the contemporary? And another time at a park of some sort, iirc.
Thank you all for the information- I appreciate your experience and insight!

"Trust, but verify."