SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody invest with USAA?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody invest with USAA? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I'm looking for somewhere to put a couple thousand a month for the next 10-15 years that is going to not only treat me well, but that will provide good returns.

A quick Google search shows that they are rated pretty high, but was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with them.

Better suggestions?

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I moved all of my investments to USAA about 2 years ago. To date, I have been very happy with the service I have received from them. Excellent communications, seem very responsive to member needs and desires. As an aside, I also moved most of my banking and insurance needs to USAA.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Past performance is no guarantee of future results, or even indicative. This is particularly true of mutual funds.

How do they stack up against Vanguard, Fidelity et al?

I am a big fan and satisfied long time member of USAA, but that might not be their core competency.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Not eligible to use them, so can't comment directly. They are very well regarded and I would consider them as reputable.

That said, USAA isn't going to offer any special investments you couldn't get elsewhere.

I'd recommend looking at some other brokerages to compare costs and account features before making the call. It's about after-tax returns, less fees, after all.

There are lots of places who will hold your money and let you buy securities....but they vary all over the place with respect in commissions, account charges, etc. I believe USAA returns some of its earnings to customers, so you'd want to net out any rebate that might apply to brokerage activity.

I've had good luck with Schwab and there are other good alternatives in the low-cost brokerage field.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Past performance is no guarantee of future results, or even indicative. This is particularly true of mutual funds.

How do they stack up against Vanguard, Fidelity et al?

I am a big fan and satisfied long time member of USAA, but that might not be their core competency.

No experience with USAA but Vanguard's fees are typically only a VERY small percentage.
Just something to consider when performing your analysis.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I buy/sell stocks through them. $8.95/trade. They're quick to respond to questions.

However, I do not believe they offer anything that you can't get elsewhere.

While I used their insurance for many years, I found more coverage with State Farm for a lower premium and subsequently cancelled my USAA car/renter insurance.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input fellas. I think I'll at least give them a call and see what they have to say. I've been very happy with them otherwise (except that they stopped offering MC insurance) so I expect they'll be able to answer my questions.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
I use them for IRAs and 529s. I also do most everything else through them. As previously mentioned, they don't offer anything you can't get somewhere else. I'm with USAA for the customer service. Whether it's filing an insurance claim, or transferring funds between accounts, there is zero hassle or fight. The ease of having everything in one spot, and the membership perks also help.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Leave the investments. Keep your insurance.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I'd backup to what type of $$ are we talking? It sounds like not IRA or other retirement savings?

Do you already fill up the 401k/IRA options? Or whatever you may have available?

I had an IRA with USAA back in the 80's. I still have them for insurance but most else is at Vanguard.

If not in a tax sheltered investment, Vanguard has a few 'tax managed' funds, with varying degrees of risk. With the 10-15 yr time horizon you would have to evaluate how much risk you are willing to accept.

Of course what's right for one person may not be the best choice for the next. Even though I view USAA favorably, I prefer Vanguard for investing.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
uber-geek
Picture of rwdflynavy
posted Hide Post
I use USAA for part of my investments and they are fine. Vanguard can beat almost anybody's fees for their investment vehicles. I'd go with them.

I'm working down my balances in USAA and building up TSP instead which has lower fees than anyone out there.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." ~George Mason

chartprepping.com Retirement Planning and Random Musings from a Military Perspective

Posts: 3391 | Location: Big Lick Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Leave the investments. Keep your insurance.

This, exactly.

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGINT-228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:
I use them for IRAs and 529s. I also do most everything else through them. As previously mentioned, they don't offer anything you can't get somewhere else. I'm with USAA for the customer service. Whether it's filing an insurance claim, or transferring funds between accounts, there is zero hassle or fight. The ease of having everything in one spot, and the membership perks also help.

This. I've been with them since I was a midshipman and I trust them more than many other financial institutions out there.

------------------------------------------------------------
“Come on you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever?” Sergeant Major Dan Daly (USMC)

Posts: 1097 | Registered: August 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post