SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Growlers.... Rack'm Up
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Growlers.... Rack'm Up Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
Decided to make a Growler Rack for the empty growlers I keep in our RV tow car.
This way I always have two Growlers in the car but they're not clanking around and being annoying.

Now I just need to get' filled.

Does anyone else have & use growlers anymore?!?!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stupid question-where do people get them filled? I've had one for a month, full of water in the fridge. I'd prefer beer.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think people use them as much as they did at one time, but there still popular at the micro breweries.
I can tell you one thing, I have probably made about a billion of them over the years.
Now the Baby Growler is out.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I've got around 8

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Stupid question-where do people get them filled? I've had one for a month, full of water in the fridge. I'd prefer beer.

Like someone said, microbrewery. Very popular way for them to sell 'takeout' to customers who want more than just one beer, but don't want a keg.

I bought a few myself when I lived like 2 blocks away from a microbrewery.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
sweet jugs, nice rack

Actually, yeah. Smile

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I just filled one locally the other day, 9.2% 'double IPA. A handful of those will get your attention.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
nice, maybe an attachment point on each end for a bungie. My travels can get a bit rough! Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have several growlers.

We have at least a dozen microbreweries here in Northwest Arkansas, the biggest of which have several locations.

And a few of the liquor stores around here even have growler stations in them, where you can fill up without having to drive all the way to the brewery/tap room.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growlerwerks stuff is double wall metal, and pressurized. Won't break, won't go flat. But they cost a lot.

Great to take your home brewed beer to a social function. https://www.growlerwerks.com/collections/shop

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've got a double wall insulated 64oz job that I use for ice water. Plenty of local places to get a fill up of numerous beers, just never went down that road. And as an aside some places insist on their own growlers so you can't bring one in for a fill.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I'm living a poor, pathetic, sheltered life...I have never heard of them until this thread.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
I'm living a poor, pathetic, sheltered life...I have never heard of them until this thread.

Apparently not very popular here in Texas, or at least in years past. My roommate from North Dakota had two that he'd brought to Corpus Christi while we were in flight school. When he asked me where he could get them filled up I had to ask what was supposed to go in them.

Lone Star and Pearl Lite never gave customers the option for buying their products this way, so how would we have known what they were?

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
nice, maybe an attachment point on each end for a bungie. My travels can get a bit rough! Wink

Hadn't thought about a bungie, I'll have to get a couple eye screws & do that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I use growlers occasionally. I wish more brewers would go the way of the 32oz crowler though. Keeps the beer fresh longer and no worries about breaking.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Old Rugged Cross , good idea!
Found some eye screws & assorted bunnies in my shop this morning.

Done & done !!!

Bungie secured Growler Travel Rack !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That A boy! Now we're all set Wink

I really like your work and how great minds think a like Cool

Let the adventure's begin!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
We use growlers about every other week. They have great breweries in Durango and we fill up and bring it home.

But we don't use glass. All of ours are either double wall insulated or man cans (which are single walled). I like the man cans cause the travel well and are small.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
We have several dedicated growler stores here, which is really nice. They usually have 25-40 taps.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

In addition to microbreweries, as already mentioned in this thread, where I am, some HEB and Whole Foods grocery stores do growler fills. There are some beer stores and liquor stores that have an amazing selection of beers on tap for growler fills. There are also some restaurants that do growler fills.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post