SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a Jeep ECU part number/ source
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Jeep ECU part number/ source Login/Join 
Picture of Perception
posted
I've got a 1996 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0L, manual transmission. My ECU is unrepairable according to the repair places, so it looks like I've got to find a new one. I'm currently running a borrowed ECU, but it's from a Jeep with an automatic transmission so it throws codes for sensors I don't have and I won't be able to pass inspection.

Does anyone know the part number for the manual transmission version of the 1996 Jeep Cherokee ECU? The numbers on my original computer are no longer legible and I already know it's not going to work out if I don't get the right one.

Also, I would appreciate recommendations for reputable places that may have them in stock. The places I've seen online (flagship 1, autocomputer exchange...) have absolutely terrible reviews and I'm hesitant to do business with them.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I've used moparpart.com and used my VIN to find the parts for my 06 wrangler. You might try that method.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
This is a maybe, but worth a look - https://xjjeeps.com

Posts: 965 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Also, carcomputerexhange.com can program a new one based on your VIN. Not sure how pricey they are though.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
You may want to try rockauto.com My mechanic uses them all the time for parts.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
I've used moparpart.com and used my VIN to find the parts for my 06 wrangler. You might try that method.

Hmm, unfortunately they only go back to 2000, but thank you!

"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
https://www.rockauto.com/en/ca...+(ecm+computer),2896

Alternative is to search junk yards for a wrecked jeep and see if they have the ECU...

https://www.car-part.com/

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquilon:
This is a maybe, but worth a look - https://xjjeeps.com

I'll have to dig through it, but that looks like a fantastic reference. Thank you!

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/ca...+(ecm+computer),2896

Alternative is to search junk yards for a wrecked jeep and see if they have the ECU...

https://www.car-part.com/

Yeah, I get a lot of stuff from rockauto, but I need the original part number before I can get one. Their site doesn't differentiate very well on these ECUs.

Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
You could try this place, although I think they focus on the 05’s and 06’s which are very problematic. Ask me how I know...The owner, Mark, is supposed to be very helpful.

http://www.wranglerfix.com/

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look on ebay. I can't remember the store. I had to replace my wife's in here 2004 grand Cherokee years ago. Gave them the Vin came in preprogrammed and I sent her old one back to them. Plug and play. If I remember correctly it was maybe $150.

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Alright, thanks to Aquilon's parts catalog I've got my part number. I think that's going to be the hard part! Thanks everyone. It looks like quite a few people have it, so now I'm just going to have to shop around for price.