SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Train Engineer Tries to Crash Train Into USNS Mercy Hospital Ship
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Train Engineer Tries to Crash Train Into USNS Mercy Hospital Ship Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
How are they going to get the train out of there? Google-fu is showing a locomotive weigh a metric-shit-ton? You cant just put the thing on a tow truck.

They’ll use cranes to lift and move it.

More likely side booms.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Fortunately, that engine wasn't completely Unstoppable.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:
quote:
How are they going to get the train out of there? Google-fu is showing a locomotive weigh a metric-shit-ton? You cant just put the thing on a tow truck.

More likely side booms.

How much does a locomotive weigh? I was getting numbers in the 200 ton range.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

More likely side booms.

How much does a locomotive weigh? I was getting numbers in the 200 ton range.

Depending on the model it could weigh between 270K and 425K.

I would expect this train to be on the lighter end of that scale as it may have been one to use around the rail yard and not necessarily on longer/larger pulls.

https://www.quora.com/How-much...ain-locomotive-weigh

And yes they use either side load cranes that work off the line or they can haul in larger cranes to be set up on site if necessary and accessible if warranted.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
]They’ll use cranes to lift and move it.

More likely side booms.

It’s not near the tracks anymore so I doubt they’ll use side booms.

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
]They’ll use cranes to lift and move it.

More likely side booms.

Really, why?

From the pics it looks to be about 100 yards away from the end of the track. Best option would be to walk it back to said tracks using a side boom on each corner (4). With the overpass there a crane might have issues. As noted that particular locomotive likely weights in the 350k range.

I’ve been railroading for 12+ years and the only time cranes are typically used is in scraping operations. Despite the damage I doubt this loco will be scrapped.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Really, why?
From the pics it looks to be about 100 yards away from the end of the track. Best option would be to walk it back to said tracks using a side boom on each corner (4). With the overpass there a crane might have issues. As noted that particular locomotive likely weights in the 350k range.

I’ve been railroading for 12+ years and the only time cranes are typically used is in scraping operations. Despite the damage I doubt this loco will be scrapped.

It’s hard to say with the overpass right there. Either way, it would fun to watch. Cheers.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post