SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home security from the burglar's point of view
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home security from the burglar's point of view Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted
We have home security threads pretty often. I saw this, and thought there might be interest here.

Beyond the article, there's an embedded video of a interview with (assuming reformed) burglar during a drive through of a neighborhood. He has some interesting insights.

Some of what is discussed in well known, some not so much.

http://www.kgw.com/news/invest...into-homes/344213396

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good info - thanks for posting.

I am good for a lot of that ... bad for some of it.

On the one hand - if they want in, they're getting in. On the other hand - if you make your home less appealing, they may move on to another target.

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I leave a radio on in the back tuned to NPR. Keeps even the deer away Wink

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If PETA finds out, you are going to be in big trouble...

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Good info - thanks for posting.

I am good for a lot of that ... bad for some of it.

On the one hand - if they want in, they're getting in. On the other hand - if you make your home less appealing, they may move on to another target.

-----------------------------------

I was glad to hear how universal a large dog was as a deterrent. Owning a 90lb GSD mix has its benefits!

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

I believe security should be in multiple layers:

-make your home a non-target. Don't leave your garage door open, don't let people know you have guns or valuables.
-know your neighbors, watch their backs and ask them to watch yours.
-leave the front uncluttered.
-well lit, motion detector lights that are bright.
-security cameras if you can afford them.
-large dog, we have a pit bull that isn't friendly towards those that aren't invited into our house. I do not tell her to be quiet like some people do when their dog barks. If I walk her and she barks at people, I let her bark. I do not want her conditioned to not bark.
-safe

I do not answer the door. The dog will run to the door and bark. If I am expecting someone I will answer but even if I'm at home and not doing anything, I will not answer the door.

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Our German Shepherd is fairly friendly for the breed, a barky beast though. I had been fairly nice to the Johova Witness girls, but I think our dog even scared them away for good. When I say 'nice', I mean listen for two minutes & take the literature offered.

I can't imagine anyone with half a right mind messing around here, but you never know.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Lights, cameras, dogs, alarm.

I don't think anyone could get close enough to hear a radio or TV before the dogs detect them and start their continuous barrage of "Who the F*&^ are you and WHY are you hear" barking.

The poor Fedex girl just leaves packages at the edge of the porch when we aren't home.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Do they make a motion sensor triggered recording of barking dogs that you can turn on as you leave the house? That plus a couple of large well chewed big dog toys laying around the yard might be a useful deterrent without the homeowner insurance carrier getting their nose out of joint.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marue
posted Hide Post
Roger the larger and well used chew toy.

Posts: 386 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

-security cameras if you can afford them.

You can do a lot for $200 in terms of security cameras these days. You can cover your front door and driveway with just a couple of cameras as a starter set up.

I also like old fashioned alarm systems if and only if done right.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
How do they feel about Sentry guns?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Do they make a motion sensor triggered recording of barking dogs that you can turn on as you leave the house?

They do. It's cheesy and won't fool anyone, though.

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
How do they feel about Sentry guns?
I think those would get you in hot water most places....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Our house is about 500' from one road and 700' feet from the main road. We had trouble with drive in thief of anything visible (crack heads) but once we put in a electric gate that stopped. Just to hard to get out of your vehicle and walk. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post