SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Bypass pruners
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Bypass pruners Login/Join 
posted
For pruning roses and small shrubs. Would prefer those that are easy on the wrist and stay sharp. Thanks

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with all of my Felco pruning tools

Posts: 4018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^. FELCO ^^^^^^^

They're not cheap and there's a very fine reason for it.

Very ergonomic, easy to use, sharp as the dickens. They're the best, you can buy parts to repair them, springs, screws, replacement blades, etc. Easy to sharpen. You do NOT throw them out after a few seasons. These will last a lifetime and be passed down to your kid.

They do offer a version for lefties. I'm a lefty but I use my right hand for pruning. Pruning is no longer a dreary task, it's now kinda fun.

If you are near a retailer go in and try the different models and learn which fit your hand the best. Ask to cut a few branches.

FELCO #2 is the most popular, I think.
I have the FELCO #8 ergonomic. I also have a box in the garage with probably 7 or 8 pruners that I no longer use, been trying to give them away.

Quick internet search indicates theprunerwarehouse dot com as having the best price, even beating Amazon. If you have a local retailer ask them to price match.

Buy once, cry once, be done with it. FELCO.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I have 3 sets of Felcos used in my general gardening chores stretching back 40 years. Between these 3 sets, they have accumulated pretty heavy use at least 2 if not 3 seasons per year, accumulating well over 200 seasons-use among them.

Minimal maintenance is a joyful part of the process.

Rose bushes, iris, various berry vines, fruit trees, quince & any woody flowering bush.

Not sure if the line includes a longer 'hummingbird-beak' bud trimmer that would be handy at times for such tiny access points.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Buy once, cry once. Felco for the win. IMO there isn't any reason to look past the classic all-purpose #2, unless you're a commercial flower grower where the cut-n-hold model might be a better fit.

In addition, the screwdriver/spanner disassembly/adjustment/maintenance tool that comes with them has ridden on my keychain for over four decades, and has proven very handy over the years.

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Another Felco fan.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife is a serious gardener. Serious as in: Has certifications Smile. She says "Felco," as well. She says "Corona" is ok for the price, but Felco is the best.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Felco #2 or #6, depending on the size of your pruning.

Their long handheld saw is also a very good tool too.

Don't fall for Corona that you see in HD or Lowe's. Felco only.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I'll go against the grain here. I do have a set of Felco hand pruners, but for my loppers, I have a set of Fiskars geared loppers. They work very well, I've had them for at least 5 years now, and still work as well as when I bought them. Probably not professional grade, but for my 1 acre yard, work just fine.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I first heard of the Felco here on this board, been using them for a couple years now, and as recently as 15 minutes ago. Have never sharpened them. They’re good.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
OK Felco lovers. My wife has tendinitis in her wrists and thumbs. Do you have experience with the ergonomic model (F-8) Falco pruners?

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
OK Felco lovers. My wife has tendinitis in her wrists and thumbs. Do you have experience with the ergonomic model (F-8) Falco pruners?

I use the #8 and I'll recommend it. My hands aren't in too bad shape but I find the #8 easiest for me.

Is there a dealer near you? I'm surprised none are listed in Sandy Eggo. Surely there are. I'd just bet there are retailers in the Sandy Eggo area. I'm also surprised none are listed in the Palm Springs area, yet you can buy them in at least one nursery I've bought from in Palm Desert, Moellers Nursery.

FELCO Dealers

You might phone the wholesaler and see if they know of retailers in your area.

CONNECT WITH US
US FELCO Subsidiary:
PYGAR USA Inc.
5470 Shilshole Ave NW Suite 302
Seattle, WA 98107
PHONE: 206-258-2901
FAX: 206-258-2620
service@pygar.us
info@pygar.us
www.pygar.us

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
They are sold on Amazon, and Amazon is good with returns, so I might get a #8 for my wife to dry-fire and see if it fits her.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Felco all the way.. My son uses a pair daily and his are left handed.. but there are none better.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. I am going to go with Felco.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Did you buy one? I’m just curious how you did, or didn’t, like FELCO.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you buy one? I’m just curious how you did, or didn’t, like FELCO.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just came in two days ago. I am impressed. Cuts easily and cleanly with little effort. Worth the money. Thanks again guys.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The Felco's more often sit on the shelf. I prefer the Burgon and Ball pruners. Smaller, lighter, faster response (quicker cycle time, as the 1911 aficionados would say).

Never say "Too late". There is room for two pair of pruning shears in your home.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post