Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Espresso Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
If one is considering the Gaggia, Breville and Rancilio Silvia machines, what would justify the cost, if anything, in moving from the Gaggia to the Breville to the Rancilio in terms of 'better' coffee?

Or is this one of those questions in which, if I have to ask, just get the cheapest machine? Smile

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...&smid=A3ICMBI0G2YNWL

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The Gaggia is a pump dressed up with quasi-prosumer features. The Breville is also a pump machine with a built in grinder. I don't like all-in-one machines. Better off with a separate grinder. And as said pump machines are vastly inferior to boiler-E61 units.

The Silva is the only true boiler machine with commercial grade grouphead.

As mentioned in my previous post to yours here, the Silva with a quality grinder makes a great entry level into excellent espresso. It's what I'd go with of what you listed period. There are other great choices in this price class such as the Quick Mill Evolution 70 just to name one (https://www.chriscoffee.com/Quick-Mill-Evolution-70-p/evo_03240.htm)

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll drop the others and use the Silva as my default choice. I also prefer to not have all in one machines.

That being said, I'll need to research a bit on pump vs boiler units -- honestly don't know what the difference is and why it matters when you make espresso. At that point, perhaps I'll be able to articulate why the Silva is preferred over the other two.

I'll look up the Quick Mill as well.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
When I'm away from home (meaning when I'm on the ship) I use the Wacaco Minipresso espresso maker to get my espresso fix. It makes a fantastic espresso believe it or not. Better than many of the machines.

The one I linked below is the newer improved model of the one I have.

Wacaco Nanopresso Upgrade For Minipresso Portable Manual Espresso Coffee Maker Protective Case Included 18 bars (261 PSI) Maximum Pressure Travel Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075...cp_taa_UEOZAbG38BN48

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of options available. The type of machine is determined by how much you want to spend. You can spend $2K for a buy once machine or spend $700 for a machine that will last a few years. It just depends on what you prefer.

Believe it or not a $250 machine can make a delicious espresso; and a $4K machine can make pure mud. It really depends.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I beg to differ DJ. Unless you're talking about a manual lever machine in the $250 range (and frankly there a very few good ones that cheap), I know of nothing, especially pumps, that inexpensive that can pull a decent shot period.

I'm an old fart and over the years had tried numerous inexpensive solutions. None delivered. Which is why I finally bit the bullet, dumped my Saeco 15 bar pump monstrosity, and bought what I'm still using 15 years later. My machine had a MRSP of $795 back then. I got it at an introductory price of $650 or so. Then my $400 MRSP grinder at around $230 on sale if memory serves. Obviously today similar equipment would run close to twice that or more. Friends have had similar experiences with cheap approaches.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Capresso Cafe Pro from AAFES, $250 and it makes a fine cup o'cappuccino. But then I don't like Starbucks and I roast my own beans.

I am not in favor of the Australian brand because they have too much plastic and they break often; from the reviews I have read, many people complain that they have returned their machines two or 3 times in a couple of years.

I could spend a few $K on a Rocket, but I can't justify the expense... meaning the Capresso is working well for my wife and me.

I descale regularly and perform a weekly group head cleaning.

It's all about personal preference. I would like a dual boiler with PID, but I can't justify the cost.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Australian brand?

And your Capresso is a 15 bar pump machine. With roasting your own and performing solid maintenance you obviously are getting the best from it. Still.....

And yeah Rocket is another good pro-sumer machine manufacturer.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
Breville.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I’m currently saving for/justifying a dual boiler machine. It’s the last piece to my at home coffee puzzle. Just bought a barely used Mazzer last week for cheap. I’m starting to come to the realization that I’m not going to get that type of deal on a machine I want. Leaning towards the Rocket R58.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
I’m currently saving for/justifying a dual boiler machine. It’s the last piece to my at home coffee puzzle. Just bought a barely used Mazzer last week for cheap. I’m starting to come to the realization that I’m not going to get that type of deal on a machine I want. Leaning towards the Rocket R58.

Buying second hand or even open box from a reputable source is indeed a good way to save some money. Nice score on that Mazzer!

That Rocket R58 looks to be a hell of a unit. What others are you considering?

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Great thread folks. Surprised no one has mentioned the Pavoni. As a newbie, I'm enjoying my Dedica ec680 and the Ariete grinder. It's hard to find a budget grinder that will grind fine enough for Turkish coffee but also course enough for French press. Espresso grind is the most important though. A budget 15 bar thermoblock allows me to experiment with different grinds and tamp pressure. Warming up the portafilter before helps a lot. No 3 way solenoid but I can live without....for now.

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
BTW – My modest Nespresso Pixie Titan has a 19 bar pump. I love this compact little beast, and the Nespresso Coffees (especially the dark roast Ristretto). So little clean up required.

ETA: And so little counter space required.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a 1977 Cremina 67 Lever Swiss Espresso machine, a classic, coupled with an Italian Macap M4 grinder. I have not bought an espresso, latte or coffee, unless on vacation, from anywhere for many years. My friends come over for a double espresso and frankly, I'm both spoiled at the quality from the Cremina 67, the boutique beans I use... and flinch at the prices for a double or latte at the coffee bars. YMMV. Invest in your own machines and enjoy great coffee at home.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

Buying second hand or even open box from a reputable source is indeed a good way to save some money. Nice score on that Mazzer!

That Rocket R58 looks to be a hell of a unit. What others are you considering?

I need to do more research. I've heard good things about the Quick Mill. Of course I would love a Linea Mini but that's not going to happen. I used to figure I'd start with the silvia, but I think I want a double broiler for the extra frothing capacity.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to do more research. I've heard good things about the Quick Mill. Of course I would love a Linea Mini but that's not going to happen. I used to figure I'd start with the silvia, but I think I want a double broiler for the extra frothing capacity.

My dual use single boiler unit simply makes me wait 20-30 seconds after switching modes to be able to froth milk. Dual boilers and heat exchangers with frothing wands are no wait at all. Back in 2003 when evaluating things I figured the short wait would be no big deal. And frankly over all these years the lack of instantaneous steam for frothing milk hasn't impacted me at all. Were I to have gone dual boiler or even heat exchanger back then it would have cost me several hundred more dollars. And yes 90% of my espresso drinks I make use milk. Smile

As an aside I debated whether direct plumbed or water reservoir was the way to go as well. Ended up with a unit that requires me to refill the reservoir as needed. Again no biggie and much less cost.

For filtration I use rock salt rechargeable cat-ion cartridges as well as Brita water filters. The pair keep my pH "nice" for the well water my development is served with. Proper back flushing and descaling maintenance has keep my unit's boiler humming away these 15 years. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
My dual use single boiler unit simply makes me wait 20-30 seconds after switching modes to be able to froth milk. Dual boilers and heat exchangers with frothing wands are no wait at all. Back in 2003 when evaluating things I figured the short wait would be no big deal. And frankly over all these years the lack of instantaneous steam for frothing milk hasn't impacted me at all. Were I to have gone dual boiler or even heat exchanger back then it would have cost me several hundred more dollars. And yes 90% of my espresso drinks I make use milk. Smile

As an aside I debated whether direct plumbed or water reservoir was the way to go as well. Ended up with a unit that requires me to refill the reservoir as needed. Again no biggie and much less cost.

For filtration I use rock salt rechargeable cat-ion cartridges as well as Brita water filters. The pair keep my pH "nice" for the well water my development is served with. Proper back flushing and descaling maintenance has keep my unit's boiler humming away these 15 years. Smile

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on filling the reservoir (depending on the model I get). I like that the Rocket allows both options. The plan is to direct plumb it (with good filtration) when we finish the basement in 1-3 years.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
[insert hate you guys here]
I’ve been dabbling for years, but this is the kind of crack that hooks.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Maybe when I win the lotto I can buy one of those real expresso machines. I’d like to have one but I think of purchases in how many guns I could buy with my money. I could buy a few nice guns for the cost of some of those machines you guys listed. Instead of buying a machine for myself just tell me where you live and I’ll just swing by and pick up one from you on my way to the gun shop, I’ll tip you a fiver for the expresso.....

Posts: 4107 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
Maybe when I win the lotto I can buy one of those real expresso machines. I’d like to have one but I think of purchases in how many guns I could buy with my money. I could buy a few nice guns for the cost of some of those machines you guys listed. Instead of buying a machine for myself just tell me where you live and I’ll just swing by and pick up one from you on my way to the gun shop, I’ll tip you a fiver for the expresso.....

I would be happy to make you a nice drink, coffee, Americano, Cappuccino, or Latte. The commute might be a bit long however! Just stay away from the Star..... coffee.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado