Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Espresso Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted
I'm the last person to stand in line to pay for an overpriced doppio or double Americano etc.. However, until now I haven't had a way to get my espresso fix at home. I "pulled" my first shot this evening with my new Delonghi Dedica and I'm hooked. I feel I'm late to the espresso scene but better late than never.

I still enjoy a regular cup o Joe but man, this is on another level.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079T6RBKW

Posts: 3518 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A rewarding experience indeed. Go deeper. My grinder is triple the price of that machine. eeekkkkk!!!

Posts: 691 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed my Gaggia Classic for about 5 years now.
Normally have an espresso or two in the morning and a regular cup of coffee midday.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Perfect timing. I was eyeing a Breville. The Gaggia sounds interesting too. Looking around and need to do more research. Hoping to buy a machine.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bean:
A rewarding experience indeed. Go deeper. My grinder is triple the price of that machine. eeekkkkk!!!

Ah yes, the obligatory grinder. Buy once-cry once I guess but thought the the Delonghi Ariete Pro was a good value. My French press will also improve with a better grinder.

Posts: 3518 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Nothing beats a Bialetti for me.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...cp_apa_WBzZAb4NKW8T7

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I had several decent pump machines like what you've just bought. They're certainly a step up but honestly, until you embrace a true boiler E61 type machine, you won't get an excellent creama shot. And as others above have said you need a quality burr grinder to get the correct grind to feed that machine. And yeah this stuff isn't cheap but the difference in what is provided is amazing. I upgraded back in 2003 and while it hurt the pocket book I've never regretted or looked back.

Spend some time at coffeegeek.com Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
What’s E61 and any product recommendations?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
What’s E61 and any product recommendations?

E61 is the name of the grouphead used in commercial and prosumer espresso machines.

As for recommendations, there are far too many (single boiler, dual boiler, heat exchanger, etc.) to cite here. In addition to coffeegeek.com look at what is available from reputable dealers out there.

I'm running a Isomac Zaffiro dual use single boiler with a bottomless ("naked") portafilter and my next door neighbor a Quick Mill Anita heat exchange unit. Both are well over a decade old. As for a grinder, I'm using a Cunill El Cafe Tranquilo also acquired 15 years ago. My neighbor has either a Rocky or Mazzer grinder. Smile

FWIW I also have and use a Clever Coffee Dripper immersion brewer and a Melitta Clarity drip maker for my non-espresso coffee needs.

And as said there are a number of excellent espresso equipment online dealers out there. Both my neighbor and I bought from chriscoffee.com with complete satisfaction.

***Updated picture with one taken 4-22-18 and a post on page 3 corrects what equipment my neighbor is currently using... He's a "Rocket" man these days. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
We have a Nespresso unit, not being an expert on the subject, I think it works just fine. Very easy for inexperienced person to use, minimal cleaning needed. The only downside is that it's like a Keurig in that you need to buy their pods at about 70¢ each.

This is our unit, it's a few years old, not sure if there have been any improvements since we got ours, but ours is still going strong.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I was considering the Nespresso at one point. But then it's just a little bit more to get a "real" espresso machine. Looking at Breville or Gaggia and others. Need to learn more about E61 -- but if that puts me into $2000+ machines, I'm probably out. I just can't afford it (actually, the $500 Breville is even outside my budget but trying to rationalize it).

Buy once, cry once. I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable yet on the difference between the Breville/Gaggia and something like the Isomac Zaffiro. Maybe at my enjoyment level, I don't need to be?

non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
We have used this lavazza point machine for over a decade. It's easy to operate, clean and has only required maintenance once. We use it more then it's intended for. There is a counter on it that keeps track of pods and we've flipped it atleast 3 or 4 times, thats over 4k cups.

My dad loves it, personally I prefer the "Macchinetta" that I grew up with but it doesn't offer the crema top.

Bald1 is correct though. The pressure from the professional e61 systems can't be achieved with drip and pump systems. It really is the deciding line between a daily espresso and a quality espresso. For me personally I've been drinking average espresso for 40 years so it's not a big deal, however when I run into the real thing I instantly recognize and appreciate it.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Holy cow - I just tried reading several pages of 'educational' material on E61. I have a headache. Smile

I think this may be one of those times where ignorance is bliss. I'm not sure my aged palate warrants more research than just buying a 'positively reviewed' machine in the class of $300-500 Gaggia / Breville and the like. (note: still determining whether these machines would produce anything better that I could appreciate than a Nespresso machine given the same coffee bean).

Espresso making and their machines seems like a science of itself.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I still enjoy a regular cup o Joe but man, this is on another level.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079T6RBKW

I've had this for about eight years and am still happy with it:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/c...3027.p?skuId=8483027

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
We have a Nespresso unit, not being an expert on the subject, I think it works just fine. Very easy for inexperienced person to use, minimal cleaning needed. The only downside is that it's like a Keurig in that you need to buy their pods at about 70¢ each.

This is our unit, it's a few years old, not sure if there have been any improvements since we got ours, but ours is still going strong.

I have a Nespresso too, and love it. Mine, like yours, just takes the “original line” pods without the fancy extras.

Re: “The only downside is that it's like a Keurig in that you need to buy their pods at about 70¢ each.”

True, but I can easily afford it, and the coffees are excellent. The aluminum pods are hermetically sealed, so the coffee stays fresh for a long time.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Breville Barista Express 870XL a year ago and have, for the most part, been quite happy with it. I did have to send it in for a warranty repair when the grinder stopped working, but other than that it's been great. I've gotten to the point that I like my lattes better than what I can buy in the local coffee houses.

A $5/day latte habit can pay for one of these in less than 6 months.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea, I'm looking at the non-grinder version of the Breville. I prefer a separate grinder. Although they seem like they can very expensive as well (almost the cost of a machine itself). Good to know that for espresso, it works well.

posted Hide Post
I purchased a Rancillio Silva with a Rancillio burr grinder. The Silvia had a PID for precise temp control. Pulls great shots. Wouldnt go back

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
I have one of these for fast espresso and Americano style coffee. It works really well and is easy to use and clean.

https://www.amazon.com/Aerobie...&smid=A302OQK4GZWXCC

Just my $0.02 and experience,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blusmoke:
I purchased a Rancillio Silva with a Rancillio burr grinder. The Silvia had a PID for precise temp control. Pulls great shots. Wouldnt go back

This combo is one that many many recommend as the entry level set up for great espresso. The Silva can be had without the PID (which is a temperature control gizmo) to save a few bucks too.

My neighbor had this setup for years. He then upgraded to that Quick Mill. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
Bald1 is correct though. The pressure from the professional e61 systems can't be achieved with drip and pump systems. It really is the deciding line between a daily espresso and a quality espresso. For me personally I've been drinking average espresso for 40 years so it's not a big deal, however when I run into the real thing I instantly recognize and appreciate it.

Absolutely! The difference between a shot of espresso made with a pump machine is worlds different from that pulled from an E61 machine. Frankly the former are too often weak, flat and all but creama-less which is something I never could accept. The shots I get from my set up are as good if not better than most all those from Baristas in commercial establishments.

And from my knothole pods are ridiculously expensive compared to fresh roasted beans ground at home. I'm reminded of comparisons others have made to the costs over a fairly short period of time. Same with a nice espresso set up versus a daily Charbucks habit. It doesn't take long to reach a break even point cost wise and of course the quality doesn't compare at all.

quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Espresso making and their machines seems like a science of itself.

It really isn't all that complicated although admittedly dialing in the grind and tamping pressure for the requisite amount of coffee to achieve a great espresso shot takes some practice. That said the learning curve doesn't take long and the results are very much worth the effort.

USN (RET), COTEP #192