SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    water well and pump question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

water well and pump question. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I am wondering about options for getting water to the surface from a deep water well. Like 300 to 400'.

Here is the kicker. Originally I was thinking of a Baker 11hd hand pump. Like you would see in a camp ground situation.
I do not need it pumped and delivered under pressure or storage. Just need a modest volume at the surface when needed. So the baker with sucker rod, cylinder and drop pipe would work well.

This system is also used in conjunction with a windmill operating the pump. Problem is it says only good to 200'.

I am wondering about other options. I know electric submersibles pretty well. But was liking this option for this application. Do not need to go a $20k solar unit either.

Anyone with suggestion?

Thanks, orc.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
If I remember my physics correctly a hand pump will only work to the depth of about 32 feet. It has to do with atmospheric pressure providing the limiting factor.

I have a 300+ foot well and use a submerged pump . I lost a couple to lightning strikes but since switching to 110 volts from 220V I've been golden.
Good luck.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
200 feet seems to be the max for a hand pump, including that Baker you mention and they ain't cheap.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Pumping water from over a hundred feet with a hand pump will build strong bodies 12 ways

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Key thing to check is how far the water comes up in the well. Just because the well depth is 300-400 feet deep doesn't mean you have to pump water that far.

I've worked on wells around here that are that deep, but the water rises in the casing very close to the surface.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Would an air lift system work for you?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It depends on the actual water level in the casing....

wells are dug to a said depth (ie 300')
but the water level is higher (200)

so that when pumped out, there is a column of water to draw away from..

but if your well is marked at 300', I can guarantee drawing water from it is beyond the stated limits of the Baker.

Go spend the money and get a submersible and remember buy once-cry once

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Grundfos can handle it - no problem with one of their electrical submersible pumps

http://www.grundfos.com/products/find-product/sp.html

I have used dozens of their pumps in my previous geotech life and never a failure

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I have been around pumps quite a bit in my life. I did not mention the static and pumping level as they are well below the 200' limit of the baker 11hd.

Sportshooter that is interesting that you mention an airlift system. I have not heard of that. But forcing air down which in turn forces water up is very intriguing which is why I posted my question here. We have such a knowledgeable group here.
Can you tell me more of this type of system. I would love to know more.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I don't have an airlift system, but I have neighbors who do. Our wells are a couple hundred feet deep with the water level up around 40-50 ft. With an air lift system you have an air compressor sending air down an inner tube allowing the bubbles to lift the trapped water in an outer jacket. The only down hole hardware is the screen, airline and casing. The usually have a 500 gal. with a float level switch to keep the tank filled. A small pump is used to feed a pressure tank for the house. The main appeal of the system is everything is above ground a easy to work on it yourself without having a well service company pull your casing and submersible pump. No lightning strikes to worry about. What I don't know is if there is a limit on how deep the airlift will work. Good luck.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post