SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Too many uninvited users on my WIFI
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too many uninvited users on my WIFI Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Wife took pity of one of the nightwatch doormen and gave him the Wifi password.

The minute I learned about that I told her it was a mistake and showed that in less time that it takes me to type the password, there were 5 unidentified connections to our wifi signal. All android phones. 4 too many and counting...

My devices have reserved IPs and bound MACs but it pisses me off to do all 25 devices again to change the password. Some are mothballed for the time being.

If I shutdown the router's DHCP service the chromecast stops responding and the phones have flaky response from the network. TP-Link Router.

Any smart moves you can suggest without having to over complicate my current router settings?
My devices have low number IPs, DHCP set 100-101 right now to allow the Chromecast but it shows as DHCP clients all the phones, tablet, printers and computers as (permanent) clients.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Gonna have to change the Pre-Shared Key on your stuff. Maybe make a guest WiFi account with a password for the night watchman and tell him if you see a second occurrence of this, it'll stop working for good.

Posts: 11351 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My ancient router will allow from an approved list only, if I choose.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Router not sophisticated enough to have a guest account.

I guess I'll have to go the approved list way.

There's someone with police custody in the building and the guard rotate endlessly. My password is public domain by now.

Any nasty trick available for wifi snatchers?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just change the password aka pre-shared key. Eek
No other way.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Router not sophisticated enough to have a guest account.

I guess I'll have to go the approved list way.

There's someone with police custody in the building and the guard rotate endlessly. My password is public domain by now.

Any nasty trick available for wifi snatchers?

0-0

Back in the day we used to run an open wifi network with a squid proxy on it. It would serve all web pages mirror image. Lol

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
My devices have reserved IPs and bound MACs but it pisses me off to do all 25 devices again to change the password. Some are mothballed for the time being.

How about having you wife change the passwords?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Get a new wife.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Change the password. Politely tell the doorman the ISP complained about bandwidth use and you had to change the password. You are unable to provide further access for fear of loosing the account.

Should satisfy the doorman without accusing anyone of anything. Who cares about the others that may have been using the access, you aren't supposed to know about them anyway.

Truth is around here, ISPs don't like anyone handing out access like that. They see it as being ripped off by customers and otherwise potential customers. Absolutely could risk loosing the ISP account for real. How often they actually go after it these days isn't likely to happen but why roll the dice for someone with nothing to lose.

Change the password. I'd probably rename the network too. I use my ISPs name as my network name.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Change the dang password. Or, enable MAC address filtering and plug in only the allowed MAC addresses from your devices.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Why be polite about it? Change the password, let the doorman figure out why it stopped working. My guess is he would know pretty quickly.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Hi Nicky,

Main thing would be to install the optional security consciousness upgrade on the spousal unit. Several users have reported that failure to successfully install this upgrade has turned potentially permanent fixes into temporary fixes. Wink

Seriously - explain to the wife that the choice is between a happy spouse and a happy door flunkey.

Three other things I'd do in addition - change the WiFi password, change the network SSID (broadcast name) and (assuming it is possible in your router) stop having it broadcast the SSID at all.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Guess you're going to have to endure the pain of changing the WiFi password.

Make sure your wife knows just how much trouble that's causing you. (Let her devices be the last to get reconfigured?)

Next time you see the doorman "My wife did you a favour. You abused it. That caused me a great deal of trouble. It won't happen again."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Are you not able to get a better router down there? Im sure one of use could send you a newer router.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Next time you see the doorman "My wife did you a favour. You abused it. That caused me a great deal of trouble. It won't happen again."

Perfect solution.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
Why be polite about it? Change the password, let the doorman figure out why it stopped working. My guess is he would know pretty quickly.

+1, Piss on the doorman's feelings.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:

+1, Piss on the doorman's feelings.

+2. And when the doorman asks your wife why his connection stopped working, place the onus upon her to explain the intricacies of network security, aka, "...it pissed my husband the hell off that I gave out our SECURE password to you in the first place and to boot, it was further passed along to others without our consent."

My WiFi password is so convoluted, I don't even know it off the top of my head and have to look it up.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I take it the doorman is someone it is beneficial to cultivate a positive relationship with. Pissing on his feelings might be shortsighted.

If not, just declare war. Have him arrested on trumped up charges and sold into slavery in China. That'll teach 'em!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
No nasty tricks... It was a mistake to have permitted access.

Security wise, I would change passwords immediately. Frankly, if anyone really had an eye to take advantage of you or your systems, they probably already have.

Change passwords, admonish no-one.
IMO, You got off easy.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Understand that by my stating Mrs. 0-0 should bear the onus does not translate to admonish or piss off the doorman. It's Mrs. 0-0 who screwed the proverbial pooch here (no offense, 0-0) by not asking 0-0's permission and the doorman, through her explanation, needs to know that.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post