SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Too many uninvited users on my WIFI
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too many uninvited users on my WIFI Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Nuke it, tell them it overloaded and died, Re-do and don't share the password again.

No good deed goes unpunished.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do we know she only gave it out to the ONE person???

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I take it the doorman is someone it is beneficial to cultivate a positive relationship with. Pissing on his feelings might be shortsighted.

If not, just declare war. Have him arrested on trumped up charges and sold into slavery in China. That'll teach 'em!

Yeah and if that is not effective there is always the NUCLEAR OPTION.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Turn them off, and state your internet is down when they ask. If need be, get a truck roll to disguise the ruse. Then explain that the internet provider tech told you there were too many wifi signals in the area which was causing you slow internet speeds. Then explain that you switched to ethernet connections for all your stuff, no more wifi. Change the network name and/or cloak it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yes, nuke it and start over.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Don't give your wife the new password. Enter it yourself on her devices.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't give your wife the new password. Enter it yourself on her devices.

I understand the emotion, but bad move, trust me. Ask some females about that.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Change the password. Politely tell the doorman .......

Nobody has to tell the doorman shit. there is no rules of etiquette which say anybody owes the doorman an explanation.

say nothing to him.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Pissing off the spousal unit or the doorman not an otion. Wife has been properly educated and is embarrassed her confidence has been abused.
Uilding is brick, concrete and very solind. , Too many wifi signals and routers around, finding a channel not oversaturated is a miracle.

Guess i will need to enter those macs one by one

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I understand that shipping tech stuff to Argentina is not a simple process, nor is receiving this in Argentina.

If any forum member has travel plans that include Buenos Aires and is willing to schlep this for 0-0, I'll kick in a few bucks to acquire an Apple re-furb router. If a few more members chip in, the deed can be done.

The Apple routers are robust, easy to manage, have optional guest network access, and the re-furbs are very affordable. I'm using one in the hangar now, think I paid $49.00 plus tax.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if you can work it out - I'll spring for a chunk of it - Nick helped me out of a jam once... Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:

I'm confused... (Goes back and re-reads OP...)

Nope, still

Why do you have to re-enter any MAC addresses? All you need do is change the WiFi pass phrase on the WiFi router and on the various devices.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
I'm confused... (Goes back and re-reads OP...)

Nope, still

Why do you have to re-enter any MAC addresses? All you need do is change the WiFi pass phrase on the WiFi router and on the various devices.
If he excludes anything with a MAC address that is not on the approved list, then he does not need to worry about a password getting away from him.

He could even enable the doorman's device if he wants to, and not worry about the password being disclosed to unauthorized users.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
It is painful to watch me type, also slightly dislecsic so my brain overheats when i type those pesky MACs two letters at a time and recheck three times and still make mistakes.

Have my full binding list but not the equivalent allowed list and must enter those one by one if i decide to use it.

Have devices shelved that i would need to reconnect in order to change passwords. Wife will give me flak for that.

Hardware is expensive and not many choices.
Have asked for dual band gigaport to upgrade my single band tp link but they ask too much for stuff not even ac compatible.
My devices are g/n not planning to upgrade in the near future. Wanted to use a band for the faster iphones and use the other for the older notebooks. Walls are thick and reception is embarrasing a mere 25 feet from the router.
If I told you that my wife's side of the bed does not connect to the router while mine does...

I ran a tight ship until tuesday, now I'm paranoid and need to figure out how to give my chromecast a fixed IP and password protect it.

0-0

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Change the PWs at random times so it works, then doesn't work, then works again. Make it a game.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
no need to manually enter MACs. After you make the changes, they'll show back up in the list and you can authorize them. Anything else that shows up will be denied.
and if you're changing the password, might as well change the SSID aws well.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'm confused, too.

He isn't under attack.

Someone (wife) shared the password.

The MAC address filtering wasn't helping much then and isn't necessary now, and certainly not at the moment.

Change password, change SSID, reconnect all devices, locking out the freeloaders, #win.

I guess you can add in the MAC filtering later, but why, and why in a hurry? If someone can subvert your password, they can probably spoof your MAC address filtering too.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
My building is a tall one with 30 floors and I live on the first one , actually the second. The first floor is a large lounge area that should be empty but occasionally is the waiting are for an unspecified number of Gendarmes - read police custody - for an old fart under police custody until he croaks, that have nothing else to do, day and night, but to surf the net, watch sports and update their facebook profiles. Add 8 doormen/janitors that mind the entrance taking turns 24hs and you'll see why i got upset when in less than 30 min the number of attached devices to my router had doubled.

While my iDevices seem to have little success talking to my router, the android phones, on the deck below us and further away seemed not to mind the distance.

One can not argue with the wife, only try to educate her. One does not argue with doormen who know when the appartment is empty and definitely one does not chastise unidentified Gendarmes with little and poor education and deficient human communication skills.

Will eventually change both password and SSID, lesson learned. When this happened at work, where I am The Man, I just kicked asses and took names when they came bitching. At home, the last words are always Yes, Dear Big Grin

0-0