SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice and thoughts on changing to synthetic oil for higher mileage engine?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice and thoughts on changing to synthetic oil for higher mileage engine? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Like a few others in this thread, I run full synthetic Mobil 1 on all four vehicles that I maintain, change it every 5k to 6k, all over 100k, two of them close to 200k. I love the stuff. It ages better (oxidizes more slowly), flows better, and I believe lubricates better under more varied conditions. I think it protects better too. Before I switched all of these vehicles ran dino oil, no problems. I'm sold on full synthetic.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8655 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
What's the best gun grease?

Oops, sorry, wrong thread. Wink

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd keep running what you've always used.

I've run Castrol GTX High Mileage 10W/30 on several different engines and well past 200K on many of them. Run hard and sometimes miss the change interval... Frown

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I started using Mobil 1 in the 90's and it's pretty much all I've used in my vehicles since.

There were 2 reasons I like using synthetic oil; it doesn't get as thick as conventional oil in the winter time (we usually get a good -10F or colder week or two in the winter) and it doesn't break down as fast as conventional oil (which means I'm not changing oil as frequently - currently every 10K on my car and once a year on my Dodge diesel - that doesn't get 10K on it in a year anymore).

Had a '91 Lebaron I purchased used with about 60K on it that I'm sure was using conventional oil before bought it. Switched to Mobil 1 - never leaked a drop. I think it had ~160K on it when I got rid of that car.

BTW, Mobil 1 has a $12 rebate for 5 quarts going on right now (Walmart isn't on the list, but Fleet Farm is...)

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 04 Nissan Titan and I didn't start using full synthetic oil until 115K. I use the Wal-Mart super tech synthetic 5w30 with a napa gold filter. I change the oil every 5K and the engine just hit 168K without any issues. I got about 1/2 mpg increase in mileage and the engine seems to run smoother.

Posts: 185 | Registered: July 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

*Synthetic oil gets past gaskets much easier than traditional oil and causes oil leaks.

*The oil manufacturers and Bob the Oil guy state that switching back and forth from Dyno to Synthetic and back to Dyno and back to Synthetic is not an issue.

So who is correct?

The oil Manufacturers?
Bob the oil Guy?
or
Jimmy the dinghy driver?

According to the jimster, it's him and all those articles you can find on the inter webs.

I only enter into threads that I have knowledge on, while I read many threads and do not comment on as I don't have knowledge on them. What threads do I participate in, only a few categories: Marine related, engine related, vehicle related and some home improvement stuff, not much else. While I know a lot about what I do know, there are MANY things I know nothing or very little about.

If you happen to look at my linked in profile, my contacts include the:
CEO of Man diesel Engines
Sr. Product support manager of MTU engines
District marketing manager of Yamaha engines
Regional sales manager of Man diesel Engines
Regional sales and parts manager of Caterpillar (N. America)
N. American parts manager of Yanmar engines
Regional manager of Kohler North America
Cummins director of sales (N. America)
Service manager of ZF
President of Wilson Manifolds
Sr. engineer of Rolls Royce marine power systems
Director of Sales and Marketing for Westerbeke
District sales manager of Suzuki outboards
Territory sales manager of Cummins (N. America)

I would trust the advice from ANY one of the above mentioned people about engines or oil LONG before I would trust what I've read from a random internet site. If I have an issue I pick up the phone and call one of them.

Synthetic oil has it's place for vehicles that are designed to use them. As does using premium gasoline in vehicles that require them.

However, much like using premium gasoline in an engine that doesn't require it. The majority of vehicle owners that use synthetic oil will see no real benefit for the extra dollars they spend on it. The corvette was one of the first vehicles to require Synthetic oil, if not the first in 1992 with the LT1 engine and the reason was oil temperatures were too high with Dyno oil, synthetic ran 40F cooler and it was either that or install an oil cooler that Chevrolets engineers couldn't find a home for. MAN requires it in all of their common rail diesels for the same reasons. In instances like this, the manufacturer requires it, for a reason.

What percentage of people keep a car or truck long enough to see the engine succumb to an oil related failure? Very, very few. The vast majority of engines will far outlive the vehicle they are put in, and far outlive several owners of said vehicle, before the engine is worn out and usually it is not directly an oil related failure. You're much more likely to grenade an engine from a coolant loss (overheat) or coolant related failure than oil related. There are tons of taxi cabs running dyno oil with 500k+ miles on the original engine. They sit around idling all day, get abused, etc. etc.

Back when I worked for my dad's automotive shop in the 80's and 90's, I'd take valve covers off of engines with 70-100k miles that had an issue and the cylinder heads would be completely packed with carbon and sludge on half of them. With the oil and additives from the past decade (with both dyno and synthetic oil) with 100k miles and regular oil changes, engines are as clean as a whistle inside the motor. The carberated gas chevy inboards on small yachts I maintain sit for weeks at a time, sometimes idle all day while fishing, and when you tear them apart, they too are as clean as a whistle inside.

If you're running a yacht with a pair of $500k engines in it and $100k in generators, you better damn well know how to maintain them, what to feed them, and when to know there is an issue with one of them. You also better damn well know HOW to fix it, because there is NO mechanic in the middle of the ocean. Just to get a mechanic to and from the boat if you're in the Bahamas to fix an engine it's a minimum of $4k. A lot of owners send their Captains to schools from the engine manufacturers that the yacht has for that reason. MAN, CAT, MTU all offer schools on their engines.

When someone has to result in personal insults to belittle someone else, what does that say about the person?

According to Eva Jajonie, a clinical psychotherapist from the American Center for Psychiatry and Neurology in Abu Dhabi, "When suppressed concerns and feelings, such as lack of self-esteem; self-defeating thoughts and behaviours; guilt; and anger, for example, are not treated or dealt with, the person uses insults to unleash anger, to escape dealing with the pain or trauma experienced or asa way to exert control [over another person] and feel powerful."

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
I rest my case, Your Honor.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:

I only enter into threads that I have knowledge on, while I read many threads and do not comment on as I don't have knowledge on them. What threads do I participate in, only a few categories: Marine related, engine related, vehicle related and some home improvement stuff, not much else.

BS.

You seem to think we all forgot how you claimed to be an expert on flying F-16s, because you watched someone fly a SIMULATOR. The same thread where you claimed some Navy F-16s operated off carriers. For those that don't know, the USN has F-16s for "aggressor" aircraft, but they cannot operate off of carriers.

I certainly didn't forget you jumping into that thread with a whole load of nonsense I'm sure others haven't forgotten either.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
jimmy, you are your own worst enemy.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been running synthetic for decades. Never lose any oil and never had any problems.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The thread is about "Advice and thoughts on changing to synthetic oil for higher mileage engine?"

Not about me.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my last 2 vehicles I have changed my own oil 100% of the time. I have used Mobile 1 synthetic every change except the first. Never had an issue with the engine, my Explorer had 120k miles and my 4-Runner has 110k right now.

That being said, we switched my dads Tahoe to synthetic at about 90k Miles. It definitely leaked oil, we switched it back next change and it stopped. Why it did this I have no idea, would it have corrected itself over time I don’t know, but it did leak with synthetic after 8 years of regular.

Synthetic is better, I would say try it and see what happens. Worse case you might need to change back. I am not a mechanic, and I didn’t even stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not true. Synthetic oil gets past gaskets much easier than traditional oil and causes oil leaks. Sludge does not build up at all with modern Dino oil and it's additives if changed at normal recommended intervals.

Bro, the 80's called. They want their gasket issue back.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
I switched my '93 Jeep Cherokee to synthetic with around 20k on it. Now, at 280k, it still runs perfect. I have been using Royal Purple HMX 10W30 full synthetic. It's a little pricey, but my 4.0l seems to like it the best out of all of the synthetics I have tried in it.

Last time I had the pan off I took a look at all of the rod and main bearings - All of them looked new, and all of them were well within tolerance. Even the cylinder walls looked perfect - I could still see the original cross hatching.

As others have said, in a properly maintained engine with seals in good condition, you should get no leaks with switching over.

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Not true. Synthetic oil gets past gaskets much easier than traditional oil and causes oil leaks. Sludge does not build up at all with modern Dino oil and it's additives if changed at normal recommended intervals.

Bro, the 80's called. They want their gasket issue back.

The OP has a 20 year old truck with 20 year old gaskets that are surely degraded due to age! Gasket technology (materials) have come a long way since 1999.

And, the OP has a motor that is known in that era for having leaking oil pan gaskets near the bellhousing area(along with piston slap) and has only had dyno oil in it since day one. He wants 200k out of the motor, and it will do that all day long with dyno oil and normal oil change intervals and without the added expense of synthetic oil.

Synthetic has a purpose and it is good oil, and in some cases better than dyno oil for the application. This is not one of those applications. But for a truck that has averaged 5,000 miles A YEAR, he is better off sticking with Dyno oil and changing it every 6 months to keep moisture (and contaminents, ie. iron, and hydrocarbons from short drives/cold starts) out of the oil.

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
And another thread where I thought I might learn something, only to have someone come in and fire off his "knowledge" and then have the real experts show up and point out that the maven has REPLICA printed on the side of his gun. *shrug*

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9150 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I’m always amused at how much thought goes into what oil to run, then that same person will slap on the shittyist Fram oil filter.

I run nice Wix filters with synthetic oils. I had an old 2002 Caravan that I was planning to sell. My daughter started driving it, and I lost track of the maintenance. Before I knew it, she had put 17,000 miles on the oil. I changed it, and the engine is fine, and she’s still driving it three years later. I’m convinced that the reason it survived was because of the superior synthetic oil’s sludge resisting properties. That and a quality filter that resists bypass, along with 2-3x more filter media than crap from Allied Signal.

I’m running synthetic in a 5.7 with 178K miles. No leaks, works great, starts better in freezing temps, runs cooler in the heat of summer, and can go longer between changes. Syn oil praise isn’t hype if the evidence proves otherwise.

The only engine in which I run conventional oil is my 1990 competition ski boat with a marine 351 Ford. Its tappet valve train likes zinc, so it gets 20w-50 racing oil changed every 50 hours. It’s a hard working engine running 5000 rpm all day, but it never faces freezing temps and frequent cold starts, so conventional racing oil is superior.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Lube is lube.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The thread is about "Advice and thoughts on changing to synthetic oil for higher mileage engine?"

Not about me.

I'd wager that the good Dr. Hawking would consider the density of both a pulsar and jimmy as equal.

But wait for it..... another dissertation inbound.