SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Absolutely slayed it yesterday fishing!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Absolutely slayed it yesterday fishing! Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Even the 60 footer that I reeled in...

You should put an extension on the house and have it mounted for the wall.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nicely done, sir.

I had big slab of grilled Salmon last night and *wish* I had 57lbs of fresh fish in my freezer.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
outstanding day ,
good weather , good friends, great fishing ,

I needed a good story

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
So you didn't go just for the halibut?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't care for seafood. Having said that. Halibut is absolutely delicious! an Alaskan local said to carve it into 1 1/2" cubes, beer batter it up and pop it in the fry daddy. Wonderful! Don't forget the cheek...
They are like winching up a manhole cover.
Our guide would shoot them alongside the boat with a .22 magnum Ruger Single-Six (with all the non stainless parts corroded away), to keep them from flopping around once in the boat.
OZ

Posts: 159 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Has the king salmon fishing gotten better? It was at a low point when I was there, and even people who lived on the Kenai were averaging 80 hours of fishing to catch one king. Pretty tough for a guy living in Anchorage to get in enough hours on the river to catch a king.

It's been a strange season for Kings. Talking with the captain he said typically the king run in Homer is done by July but this year it's just now starting. A lot of the areas typically open this time of year have been closed by fish and game due to the low numbers.

We were 2 short of limiting out for kings, far better than average for the charter fleet that day. I credit a lot of that to how the captain ran the boat and how we all worked as a team. We were on a 6 pack boat but only ran 3 lines at a time; 1 downrigger at each back corner and a short rod off the middle of the stern. His thinking was anything more than that becomes an unholy mess of tangled lines. By doing this we were able to do a dance on deck and keep all lines in the water with a fish on. There were a couple of times where the salmon would run underneath the boat and we were able to duck and weave underneath each other and hand off rods to keep lines from getting tangled. This worked much better than other 6 packs I've been on when someone calls out fish on everyone reels in their line to avoid tangles.

The other thing that worked in our favor was that all of us had experience being on charter boats before and worked together. If someone reeled in a king we all worked together to get it landed, clubbed, unhooked and in the well. This freed up our captain and deckhand so we always had lines in the water while trolling.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice catch.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That haul would be $875 at Whole Foods.

Posts: 3911 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Awesome catch! I was just telling my wife today that it may be time to just say screw it, sell everything, and move to Alaska. Reading your posts never helps with my resolve to not do that...

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post