SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Absolutely slayed it yesterday fishing!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Absolutely slayed it yesterday fishing! Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Caught a last minute fishing charter out of Homer yesterday and absolutely slayed it. Alaskan Fishing Adventures has an e-mail list that locals can sign up for. They offer deep discounts on empty seats and last minute cancellations. Limited out on my 2 halibut within 15 minutes of getting hooks wet. Limited out on my 2 king salmon later in the afternoon. Almost everyone in the group caught their limit. The only exception were 2 individuals who only caught 1 king but made up for it by catching multiple cod.

Cannot say enough good things about Captain Joe and Deckhand Justin. Both were great, taught a lot and were fun to joke around with. The scenery was amazing with the volcanoes across Cook Inlet, black bears roaming the beaches, breaching Humpback Whales and a Bald Eagle who followed the boat hoping to help himself to part of our catch.

I will say this, 7' chop at 30 knots in a 37' fishing charter is not an E-ticket ride at Disneyland. Standing on deck in 7' chop is not day in the park either. Fortunately things mellowed out after the morning tide. Also had a great group. All of us had been on charters before and helped when we could. This meant we always had hooks in the water while trolling for salmon. I was also surprised at how boring hooking into a halibuts is. Even the 60 footer that I reeled in put up absolutely no fight. Kind of like reeling in a barn door. The King Salmon on the other hand were a lot of fun. Had a couple cross underneath the boat which caused a dance of everyone on deck ducking underneath one another trying not to get lines tangled. I had a suicidal one who swam right up to the back of the boat. I thought I had lost it as there was absolutely no tension in the line. Then I had Captain Joe yelling at me, "REEL! REEL! REEL! GO FAST! GO FAST! GO FAST!.

Not a bad day, 37 pounds of halibut and 20 pounds of king salmon in my freezer. Some frozen pizzas had to be sacrificed.

https://www.alaskanfishing.com

The group with the day's catch.

Me with the big fish of the day.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11760 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I bet you gots 12-foot arms.... Big Grin

(very nice!)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Nice catch!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
i’ve been eating salmon about 3 times a week for the past month or so. copper river and alaska sockeye have thinned out. moving to alaska king salmon these days. i’d love to go to alaska for a period. eat crab, salmon, halibut.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Now all I can think of is smoked salmon. Mmmmmmmm. Congrats on what appears to be a great day on the water.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Yeah. I bet you gots 12-foot arms.... Big Grin

(very nice!)

At 60lbs, I wasn't holding that halibut out away from me to make it look bigger. It was all I could do to hold it far enough away not to get slimed on.

Posts: 11760 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
is joke.

(Hence smiley, and comment about "very nice" catch.)

Again. Nice catch!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Oh I know it was a joke, I may have been guilty of it in the past...

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
(you did notice I never ragged on your old tired ass having to take a sit down during the photo op while presenting Nemo..) Big Grin

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Very nice. With fewer tourists should be a good time to do a few things.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun!

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang, I wish I was there. Looks like a really fun time.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine how good that salmon tastes being so fresh. Eek

Posts: 13086 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I can see the allure of fishing.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that is an awesome trip. Nothing like fresh fish, caught by you.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Yes, that was a bit more than a good sized coffee can full of nice ones. You might want to double that recipe for hush puppies. Big Grin

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
What's the air temperature there?

Year V

Posts: 2628 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
A bit jealous here gotta admit.....awesome trip!

Posts: 3118 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
During my 5 years in Alaska, I really enjoyed the combo trips with halibut, salmon, and rockfish.

I love to eat halibut and I love to hang out on a boat with my buddies fishing for halibut. However, reeling one is more like being a crane operator than fishing and about as thrilling.

Now, King salmon on the other hand are an amazing fish to catch. They're powerful, put up a good battle, and are delicious.

Has the king salmon fishing gotten better? It was at a low point when I was there, and even people who lived on the Kenai were averaging 80 hours of fishing to catch one king. Pretty tough for a guy living in Anchorage to get in enough hours on the river to catch a king.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post