SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    July 3 & 4 will be interesting around here in the Black Hills of South Dakota
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

July 3 & 4 will be interesting around here in the Black Hills of South Dakota Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It’s a hard scrabble life on & off the reservation. Hard to believe this is in America.

I grew up on Chicago’s Southside, thought I’d seen plenty to toughen me up. I wasn’t ready for White Clay on government pay day or any other day! Wounded Knee, Fort Robinson & Crazy Horse,
for better or worse, it is our history.

Good luck to you.

http://www.woundsofwhiteclay.com/_home.html

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
ASKSmith, I can imagine how you felt. I was in Gordon, Ne when Raymond Yellow Thunder was killed.

Pine Ridge and White Clay were on my sales route
Man talk about being in no mans land. Fear kept me moving. Life is always tough there. You are on tribal land.

I've ridden thru most of the West and central West Reservations on a motorcycle and never had a problem.

One time I stopped for gasoline at a Navajo reservation station, filled up and went inside to pay. As I walked in the cashier, who I never saw before, greeted me by name.

To this day, I wonder how in the hell did that Navajo man know my name.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skin-walker maybe?

I was up in White Clay a week after the murder, driving my company car, unmarked ‘72 Plymouth Fury 1, plain blue wrapper, dog bowl hub caps...It looked like an FBI or fed gov. vehicle, white folks kept their eyes on me as did the Sioux.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I worked two different Reservations out here for a time. A very different (and difficult) LE experience.

I treated everyone as best I could and was as caring and helpful as could be. Made a few friends which helped immensely. Some funny stories but far more tragic stories.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Doesn't every white man go by the name of Joe??

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Just wait: BLM is going to declare the Black Hills as racist.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Redcoatlift, I had a job working at in a grocery store. It was not uncommon for an Indian to walk and buy a can of Lysol and a loaf of bread. They would spray the Lysol through the bread, and drink it.

There was a local guy named Vince who rode around with a can of gas on the back of his bike. Every now and then he would stop and huff it.

Few people make it off the reservation. But there are a few success stories. Mainly joining the military, but a few doctors as well. I’ve only had experience with Lakota Sioux, but I will say they are a very loyal tribe, and protect their own at all costs. They will not back down in a fight, and that had saved me more than once. But it is rare a Lakota will reach the age of 50.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked w/ BIA from Rosebud. A different and rough world. I work daily w/ members of the Winnebago and Omaha Tribes.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Few people make it off the reservation. But there are a few success stories. Mainly joining the military,

I served with a guy who was in that situation. He was close to retiring and we were talking on a long humvee drive out to a firing range. I asked him what made him stay in the Army for so long. He said he initially enlisted and served a term after high school, went back to the reservation and realized if he didn't get out of there, he would be dead soon. He went back into the Army and never looked back. He retired and lives in Phoenix now.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Since this thread has drifted considerably, I will again repeat this information for those who want to watch the fireworks streaming on 3 July.

Live streaming of the fireworks:

https://www.myworldevents.com/...-july-fireworks.html

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I apologize for the thread drift, Bald1. I appreciate the info, I will watch.

-----------------
I apologize now...

posted Hide Post
quote:

Tried the page and got 404, page not found?
Don't know if it is me or them?

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The link does not work for me either.

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
This one works for me. It’s important to note the fine print, these will be done on July 3rd.

https://www.myworldevents.com/...-july-fireworks.html

-----------------
I apologize now...

posted Hide Post
Yes, works. Thxs

posted Hide Post
Our local communities cancelled their 4th festivities and fireworks displays so I will look forward to watching this Friday night !!

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

No problem.

The plight of Native Americans deserves it's own thread though. Wink

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
ASKSmith, I can imagine how you felt. I was in Gordon, Ne when Raymond Yellow Thunder was killed.

Pine Ridge and White Clay were on my sales route
Man talk about being in no mans land. Fear kept me moving. Life is always tough there. You are on tribal land.

I've ridden thru most of the West and central West Reservations on a motorcycle and never had a problem.

One time I stopped for gasoline at a Navajo reservation station, filled up and went inside to pay. As I walked in the cashier, who I never saw before, greeted me by name.

I had something similar happen in Biloxi, Mississippi. Turns out I had forgotten that I had my name emblazoned on my helmet.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far seen 6 fighters, F16?, and 4 B1b flying overhead together and separately, various directions?
Getting ready for the flyover on July 3?
Definitely noisy!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
So far seen 6 fighters, F16?, and 4 B1b flying overhead together and separately, various directions?
Getting ready for the flyover on July 3?
Definitely noisy!

I've heard them too Jim. What has been disappointing is that none show up on
adsbexchange.com
even when selecting military aircraft only.
I have no clue why.... Frown

ADDENDUM: I've been told they don't use ADS-B so they won;t show up in that app. Oh well....

USN (RET), COTEP #192