SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    July 3 & 4 will be interesting around here in the Black Hills of South Dakota
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

July 3 & 4 will be interesting around here in the Black Hills of South Dakota Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
--Fireworks at Mount Rushmore for the first time since 2009.
--1500 visitor tickets were drawn by lottery from over 100k requests
--President Trump to attend
--Gov. Kristi Noem has warned terrorist-vandals that no harm will come to Mt Rushmore "on her watch"
--Julian Bear Runner, president of the Ogala Sioux Tribe has organized a protest lamenting the Rushmore monument on tribal land never ceded to the USA. He's also one of these leftists who wants the monument, like so many statutes recently, to "come down."

Edited thread title to add location Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great time!

(Only 1500 people. Mount Rushmore. Fireworks & President Trump? Wish I could see that.)

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3619 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You have a great governor in SD.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
They should bring in some of these for air support, should the leftists try anything funny on Mt Rushmore....

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

No kidding. I wish we could clone her.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just think of how long it took water to carve those faces!

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

It was wind I think.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

She's a "I don't take no shit!" rancher - politician. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
Wish I could see that.)

In the past the fireworks were broadcast on TV. Bets are they will again this year along with other sites like YouTube. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
They should bring in some of these for air support, should the leftists try anything funny on Mt Rushmore....

We've got B1-Bs locally and they have smart targeting munitions. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

It was wind I think.

Here's a nice site showing the carving progress and some history about the effort.
https://mashable.com/2016/10/1...ving-mount-rushmore/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Here's a nice site showing the carving progress and some history about the effort.

Thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed visiting that site.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Having lived close by (in SD/WY terms) for several years when we were in Gillette, I always loved the Black Hills area. Had to spend about six months in Hot Springs filling a position while someone was out on medical leave and got the chance to drive all over and explore. I'd move to RC in a heartbeat if I were able to.

And the same comment about your governor, she seems like my kind of lady!

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was at Sturgis back a few years, we rode over to the Black Hills and Mount Rushmore. It is awesome!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1: She's a "I don't take no shit!" rancher - politician. Big Grin

She sounds more like a leader than todays pandering politicians.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Live streaming of the fireworks:

https://www.myworldevents.com/...-july-fireworks.html

TV & Live Streaming

As one of the few 4th July fireworks displays still going ahead, and with President Trump also set to attend, there is certain to be plenty of interest and coverage of the event.

We'll have all the best TV and live stream links here on the day of the show.

In the meantime, the Mount Rushmore webcam takes you live to the venue 24 hours a day:

Mount Rushmore webcam

Addendum: sorry, looks like the webcam is temporarily offline

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1: She's a "I don't take no shit!" rancher - politician. Big Grin

She sounds more like a leader than todays pandering politicians.

Exactly! And her refusal to lockdown the State during the pandemic and trust South Dakotans to "do the right thing" earned her vitriol and hate from the left throughout the country. She refused to be pressured and our results speak volumes to the sanity and correctness of her position. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
hey bald1,
We will trade you, strait up for our great Governor. Wink
Rod, in the once great state of Michigan Frown

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
hey bald1,
We will trade you, straight up for our great Michigan Governor.

Sorry. No way in hell! Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very cool website, thanks.
One of my first thought though was that if OSHA could go back in time it wouldn't exist.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly! And her refusal to lockdown the State during the pandemic and trust South Dakotans to "do the right thing" earned her vitriol and hate from the left throughout the country. She refused to be pressured and our results speak volumes to the sanity and correctness of her position. Big Grin

The Iowa governor (R and female) also stood her her ground. Go Kim Reynolds!!

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I assume there will be adequate preparations to fight/contain any fires that might get started.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I assume there will be adequate preparations to fight/contain any fires that might get started.

No doubt and FWIW they just had "practice" with the Mine Draw Fire this week just 6 miles south of Mt Rushmore.

USN (RET), COTEP #192