SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    April in Germany/France
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

April in Germany/France Login/Join 
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted
Looks like the wife and I will be spending ~3 weeks in Europe. I have a series of meetings to attend, so she's tagging along. The trip spans Easter weekend, so Germans make that a 4-day weekend. We'll head to Paris by train for that weekend.

Give me your best tips for that region, please! We'll be staying in Heidelberg when in Germany.

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Oh, my god. What a fantastic time to be in Europe. April should be beautiful. Heidelberg is beautiful in its own right and you are in the Rhine Valley which is fantastic in it's own right.

There is "old Germany" all around you. Almost every little town in that area will be pretty and charming. You are also not far from some great things to see if you are into cathedrals and old buildings such as Munich, Wurzburg, Worms, etc. Even Saltzburg, Austria is only a couple of hours away.

There is an amazing museum of science and industry at Sinsheim.

It really comes down to what you want to see, and if you have a car while you are there. German rail is good, but it isn't really cheap, and to get to more out of the way places can take some time. Express between cities, stopping train to get to other locations.

Anybody who was in V Corps. can give you lots of ideas about that area.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. I'm incredibly jealous. There is no reason to lose weight, or quit drinking on this trip. Beer, wine, food, pastry, breads...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
Thanks, ArtieS. I will have a car, but we'll take the train to Paris and back.

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
In Paris eat in the ornate dining room at the Musee d'Orsay. A local turned me on to it.

If you can, a trip to Verdun is an experience you will never forget. It is amazing the the craters are still there and you can see the remnants of the trenches.

This is where my wife and I stayed. Very romantic and a great location. http://www.hotel-paris-saint-germain.com/

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heidelberg when in Germany

You're close to Stuttgart. If you're a gearhead, I'd advise the Porsche tour and museum. I did it last September and rented a 911 for an hour. Absolutely loved it.

MB also have a massive factory and delivery store on the other side of Stuttgart.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go check out the Heidelberg castle

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Since you have a car I suggest a day trip to Trier, Germany. Old Roman town on the Moselle River and in the heart of German wine country.

Another idea if you are into WW2 history: the Westwall(Sigfried Line) Museum in Bad Bergzabern, Germany.

If you contact the proprietor of the museum he was more than willing to give us a tour while we were there.

https://www.bad-bergzabern.de/.../westwallmuseum.html

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Rothenburg od Tauber is maybe a quick 100 miles East of Heidelberg - great place for a day trip and to walk around the top of the city walls. World's largest 365 day a year Christmas store is in the center of the town.

Easy to walk the whole town in a day - but nice to stay overnight after taking the night watchman's tour.

Don't be surprised to see Easter eggs hanging from the trees in Germany :-)

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Enjoy! My company's hq is about 30mi south of Stuttgart. It is a beautiful and peaceful place. I have only been to Cannes but everyone who went to Paris wasn't too impressed, but that is a drunken sailor point of view.

I am a Belgian beer addict so I would shoot over there and visit an abbey, but that's just me.

Tons of castles to visit, I preferred the ruins over the fairytale ones.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:
Looks like the wife and I will be spending ~3 weeks in Europe. I have a series of meetings to attend, so she's tagging along. The trip spans Easter weekend, so Germans make that a 4-day weekend. We'll head to Paris by train for that weekend.

Give me your best tips for that region, please! We'll be staying in Heidelberg when in Germany.

Heidelberg is a great place. Lots to see and do. Consider a 1 day boat trip on the Rhine! We have done it a couple times. Maybe 3 times all together. Boats make stops at various places along the river, you can get off and tour the little towns, get some authentic German food (and drink) as well.

Can't speak to prices now as it has been more than more than 30 years since our last river tour. Still have fond memories.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Since you have a car I suggest a day trip to Trier, Germany. Old Roman town on the Moselle River and in the heart of German wine country.

Another idea if you are into WW2 history: the Westwall(Sigfried Line) Museum in Bad Bergzabern, Germany.

If you contact the proprietor of the museum he was more than willing to give us a tour while we were there.

https://www.bad-bergzabern.de/.../westwallmuseum.html

Yeah, that tour through Trier was well worth the time. Lots of small gasthauses where you can get good meals, at good prices.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Rothenburg more than Trier, but both are great.

If you like to drive, maybe consider driving a portion of the Romantische Strasse (Romantic Road). It starts in Wurzburg and winds down to Fussen in Bavaria. It's a beautiful drive populated by little towns, including Rothenburg.

We went to Germany over Easter several years ago. The weather ranged from cold with a few flurries in Munich during the first week of April to warm and flowers blooming a couple of weeks later. Be aware that some places may still have outside statutes covered for winter (King Ludwig's castles in Bavaria, for example). Also, if you are interested in visiting the Eagle's Nest in Berchtesgaden, it won't be open until May.

Heading across the border into France, Strasbourg is lovely and not very far from Heidelberg. I believe you can get there via train(s).

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
If you can, a trip to Verdun is an experience you will never forget. It is amazing the the craters are still there and you can see the remnants of the trenches.
I agree. It has been said that the dirt at Verdun was overturned 8 times by the intense artillery bombardment it received. I don't know that I believe that statistic, but it is apparent that a lot of displacement occurred. The cemetery and ossuary are both impressive and sobering.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I enjoyed Rothenburg more than Trier, but both are great.

Thanks for reminding me. We did Rothenburg as well as Trier.

Was struggling to get the name recalled out of my aging memory.

Given the 2 cities, I think we liked Rothenburg the best.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
Amazing suggestions, everyone. Thanks so much!

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
(I'm sorry but this thread title made me think of Mel Brooks.) Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I spent a month in Rothenburg when they still had a Goethe Institut there--fabulous times! If you go, see if you can find the restaurant/Gaststube that serves a traditional medieval meal (eat off wooden trenches, knives, no forks, the wenches serve the men). Also have a Gute-Nacht-Kuss at the Italian Eiskafe on the main square.

Great memories of Heidelberg, too. Proposed to my now wife of almost 48 years in the wall of the old castle.

Not sure what the vineyards and wineries of the Rhine Valley are doing in the Spring; remember "Der Mai ist gekommen, dear Winter ist aus"--May has come, winter is gone.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
Got back this week. What a great three weeks! Spent a fair amount of time doing business, but Heidelberg is so lovely and so full of history. Also did a tour through the Black Forest and spent some time in Speyer and Schwetzingen. Ate way too much.

Easter weekend in Paris was a blast, too. The Louvre was exhausting. The food in France is way better than in Germany. Also way better than in Seattle, come to think of it. The stuff we call "baguettes" and "croissants" and "macarons" here are mere shadows of the real thing. And I've now taken to having soft-boiled eggs in the shell for my Sunday breakfasts.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. I'm sure I'll be getting back to Heidelberg before too long and will expand my exploration of the beautiful Rhine valley.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:
The stuff we call "baguettes" and "croissants" and "macarons" here are mere shadows of the real thing.

Yeah, you ain't kidding. It's the very one thing that my wife misses more than anything living in the US (besides family of course), and that is getting a good baguette or croissant here. We found a place in Southern California once that came close, but there really is nothing like the stuff made in France.

I'll be heading over to France in two weeks. Can't wait for my Sunday morning pain au chocolat.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post