SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man Saves Puppy (and his cigar) From Alligator
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man Saves Puppy (and his cigar) From Alligator Login/Join 
posted
Saw it posted on another forum.

The video is embedded in this twtr LINK.

That's some bad-assery right there!

Posts: 3476 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
The part I liked best was him still having the cigar in his mouth. I'm undecided about the gator and it remaining alive. I often wonder why cops don't just shoot the bastards that are shooting at them. OK, I'd make a lousy cop because I don't believe they should be taking shit from dirt bags.

Good cigars are expensive. He should keep it to remember. Then carry when walking his dog.

About 20 years ago I was walking my dog, Spot. Some fool up the road a bit had a Pit Bull. We were on the other side of the street, minding our own business. The Pit charged. I saw the owner grinning. When it got to the road, I got the gun out and if it had bitten either of us, I'd have shot it. Maybe not justified in the eyes of the law, but justified to me. When the owner saw the revolver he called the dog back.

In my estimation, the dog needed killing, and probably so did the owner. He was new to the neighborhood, and to Kentucky. I'd have taken my chances with a jury for shooting the damn dog. My dog was leashed, his wasn't. Not really the dogs fault. In this thread, the gator needed shooting, too.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Okay, but that's one tiny alligator. It's more of a 'fun size' gator. I still wouldn't want to battle it tho.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Okay, but that's one tiny alligator. It's more of a 'fun size' gator. I still wouldn't want to battle it tho.
Since you live in Utah, let me spell this out for you a little better. Where there's one gator in Florida, there's usually always more. My hat's off to the man with the cigar (and big ole balls) for jumping in and doing battle with that gator when his ten foot cousin could have been lurking just under the surface. And for the record, even small gator's like that are damn strong and slippery. As noted above, had I been in the same position, once the dog was loose, I'd have carried that gator over behind the house and dispatched him. We got plenty of those jumbo lizards throughout the state.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
I was talking with mom about this tonight, before I watched the video. She thought it was amazing.

Said to her, it must have been real small, because no one is going to pry open the jaws of an alligator of substantial size. She said "it was pretty big". Lol. We live in WI, and even I know that wasn't the case.

Said, "mom, the dog must have been off leash"

"It was on a leash"

"Then they were too damn close to the water"

Water, water, everywhere...

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Since you live in Utah, let me spell this out for you a little better. Where there's one gator in Florida, there's usually always more. My hat's off to the man with the cigar (and big ole balls) for jumping in and doing battle with that gator when his ten foot cousin could have been lurking just under the surface. And for the record, even small gator's like that are damn strong and slippery. As noted above, had I been in the same position, once the dog was loose, I'd have carried that gator over behind the house and dispatched him. We got plenty of those jumbo lizards throughout the state.

Yeah. Not too many alligator herds in Utah......lol We do have bluff charging cougars though

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to spend some time in the Ding Darling Reserve on Sanibel.
Lots of Gators.
I learned that Gators can actually leap a good distance out of the water onto shore to grab prey.
Never went into the reserve without a 4 inch M29.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
"State law prohibits you from killing an alligator...."

I've put a number of them lizards to sleep permanently over the years with a 12 gauge slug gun.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The amount of bite force that an alligator of that size would shock most people. Very surprised the dog didn't have serious internal injuries.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
"State law prohibits you from killing an alligator...."

"If the law says that, the law is a ass." I forget who said that.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed 1s1k!

You can see at the end of the video the effort of Mr. Wilbanks to pry and keep open the mouth of the gater.

Looks like all of his fingers were still there in the video that Shaql posted!

‘A man is dog’s best friend.’

Posts: 3476 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
The amount of bite force that an alligator of that size would shock most people.

All the nature shows or books I’ve read over the years say that alligators/crocodiles have extremely strong bite forces. The “wrestlers” manage it by holding their mouths closed because opening their mouths is much weaker. That of course makes sense; they didn’t evolve to fight someone or something holding their mouths closed, but keeping their mouths clamped on prey would be vital for their type of predation.

My first thought was also that the dog may have not been leashed as it should have been in a public place, but the video indicated it was on the dog owners’ property.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:... Where there's one gator in Florida, there's usually always more. ...

Them ain't frawgs...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
Saw it posted on another forum.

The video is embedded in this twtr LINK.

That's some bad-assery right there!

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sanibel Island Gator War Story:
The Condo I stayed at had a pool. I went to take a dip and found the pool was occupied by two elderly German chicks. And lying on the sidewalk beside the pool was a snoozing Gator! I tried to explain to the ladies that they were in close proximity to a prehistoric lizard that might like to sample German cuisine but the message was lost in translation. I called the cops. They were not interested but gave me the number to Gator Control Central. The dude at at Gator Control asked "did you measure it"? I told him I did not. He then said "go measure it. If it is less than 6 feet long, we wont remove it".
Since I did not want to bust out my tape measure to size up the Gator, I opted to avoid the pool.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
On the subject of gators, a good friend was going to FL to visit his FIL. In the rear of his van he had an empty mud bucket. On the way to the Interstate he stopped just past a railroad track and got the bucket out. Filled it with baseball size ballast rocks, then lugged it back to the van. His wife didn't understand, but had learned not to question things her husband and dad did. So the following day they arrived in south FL.

As they were unloading things, like luggage and kids, out came the bucket. His FIL was happy to see his present. A rule to keep in mind is presents are where you find them, not necessarily where you buy them. The FIL was overjoyed to see his bucket of rocks. When asked where he wanted these, the reply was right there by the back door. They were gator rocks, used to smack lizards in the back yard.

As dumb as gators are, they learn that appearing in Grady's back yard meant a thumping was on its way. They do understand pain, and a reasonably large ballast rock can hurt when it hits. So even stupid gators avoid pain when they can. Guns make noise, but gators only hiss when hit, but they do scramble for water. Soon opening the back door was a reliable sign a thumpin' was a comin'.

Got a friend living on a canal in FL? Take him a bucket of ballast. Doesn't need to be full, but Dudder's a big strong boy and can lift one. But even a half full bucket will last a while. I'm pretty sure the railroad doesn't approve, but the hell with them.

Unhappy ammo seeker

posted Hide Post
That may have been a small gator - but plenty big enough to rip that guys hand or fingers off. Fortunately for the dog the gators MO is to grasp its prey, submerge and drown it.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's my thoughts after watching the video last night.

Puppy in little gators mouth.

Guy standing in waist high water.

Where's big momma gator? Eek

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Here's my thoughts after watching the video last night.

Puppy in little gators mouth.

Guy standing in waist high water.

Where's big momma gator? Eek

Right. And to reiterate for those who aren't from Florida, there's almost no body of water too small for alligators and we have some absolute giants here.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post