SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BRCC fans, need recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BRCC fans, need recommendations Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
So I think I have the French press thing down to a semi-science.....though I'm not sure I'm doing it right (obviously, personal tastes vary).

16 oz filtered water brought to near boiling.
1/2 cup beans, coarse ground
30 seconds for 'bloom'
8 minutes brewing

So far I've tried "Silencer Smooth" and "Beyond Black". The goal is to find something I like black, no cream or sugar. SS seemed kinda weak, even after switching brew time from 4 minutes to 8. BB is (still on that bag) too bitter for me straight, so I've been adding creamer.

What should I try next? I'm looking at the medium blends now. Coffee, or Die? Caffeine and Hate? What do you all like?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I've never gotten the hang of the French press thing. I just use an AeroPress and Silencer Smooth coffee. To me, the water temp is the biggest factor in bitterness. I found that my taste buds are happiest when the water is 185-195ish. No bitter finish there for me and the coffee is plenty strong.

Of the medium roasts, I liked both C&H and Just Black. Coffee or Die is about the only one I haven't tried so I can't help there.

Stick with it, they have something for everyone. You just gotta find something that suits you best.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I'm to a point where my coffee is just about perfect. I also use a French Press.
Additionally:
1) weigh your coffee AND your water - do not go by volume
2) I find 16.5 to 1 > water to coffee ratio is ideal although most believe anywhere from 16 to 17 to 1 is fine
3) also agree with the bloom and but I generally don't wait eight minutes but only four
4) LASTLY the quality of the water is vital.
Never use straight tap water.
Use filtered water or what I use is distilled water with third wave water additive for the perfect water.
5) I also pour through a strainer which cleans all the top-grain crap from getting back in.

YMMV

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Gunship was a good roast but it's light as well. I can drink Sniper's Hide (no longer available), Silencer Smooth and Gunship black.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
Personally I’ve been drinking Just Black for the past 7 months. I started on the lite blends and moved up from there and settled on Just Black. I’ve been extremely pleased with it although I’m probably not doing it any justice by just using it in a coffee maker.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post