SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do not park under a tree at the Kona airport
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do not park under a tree at the Kona airport Login/Join 
posted
http://wgntv.com/2017/06/29/ma...ng-with-cockroaches/

Any tips from our auto detailing experts on how to handle this situation should it arise?

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Cockroach shit is possibly my #1 most hated smell.

Several years of being assigned to a public housing unit with dilapidated projects from the 50s to the 80s made sure I got to smell enough of it to find that out.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Link to original news story. Love those Island News anchor. Laid back dude.

http://www.kitv.com/story/3577....WVSO8ntgOS8.twitter

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would think moth balls would drive them out then use a vacuum cleaner to suck them up.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I would think moth balls would drive them out then use a vacuum cleaner to suck them up.

How do you get their little legs apart to use them??

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTheo:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

How do you get their little legs apart to use them??

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I expected to read about damage from coconuts falling, not bugs.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
park the car in a garage and use one of those bug bombs that kills anything that moves

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of our old pool cars.

My primary unit went down one day and I had to grab a car off the line. Got all my stuff moved over, started it up and headed out. 5 minutes later out of the corner of my eye I see something moving. Then I start paying more attention to inside my car than outside my car and I realize I'm not alone in this thing.

Luckily I saw one of our local exterminators driving the other way. I flipped on him, turned on the blues (which surprisingly actually worked) and he pulled over. I explained my situation and he was happy to help me out.

I put myself out over the radio so I wouldn't get a call and gave it some time.

Whatever he sprayed in there killed everything. A trip back to the yard to visit the shop vac and the carnage was removed.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
We rented a Jeep Liberty at the Kona Airport on our honeymoon in December, 2007. During the drive on Saddle Rd. late at night after going up to see Mauna Kea I felt things crawling across my feet, which were in sandals. I stopped and confirmed COCKROACHES! Saddle Rd., which connects Kona to Hilo and goes between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, is not a very safe road to begin with and the rental car company and other companies forbid people from driving cars on it (and also up Mauna Kea). My new bride kept her feet up on the dash and I tucked my left one under my right and I imagined there was something out of Indiana Jones going on with my right foot. I had presumed us, or someone else, dropped food in the car at one time. Maybe its just a Kona Airport thing.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
HI, the biggest roaches I've ever seen.

I reversed out of a driveway in my rental convertible and ran one over. Dude made a really loud crunching noise. I could probably deal with geckos in my house, but ALL roaches must die.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Isn't there a Kona on more than one island?

In '99 or '00 I flew into Kona, Big Island, arriving at dawn. Unboxed a vintage Peugeot bicycle I had scored for $50, and pedaled the 25 miles to Captain Cook. One pair of cut-offs, two tee shirts, and three weeks at Managos. By the fourth day, business owners along the high road were ready to put me to work, thinking I was local.

Another would'of could'of should'of experience. Could have stayed. Couldn't let go of Mainland crap.

Left the bike, gave it to a local.

And yes, the cockroaches are legendary. Legendary! The biggest problem is haoles leaving food in their cars.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
We went camping in Florida and arrived at the campground at night. I get out of the car and it's crunch, crunch, crunch. I thought it was dry leaves or crushed gravel. I turn my flashlight on and everything in sight was covered inches deep in HUGE cockroaches.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post